manserious48

Who is a good agency to handle the visa (attorney?)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Just wondering what/who is a good agency to use to handle the whole k-1 visa process (fiancee visa for marriage minded persons). THANKS !

The best that I can recommend is the trio of "You, Yourself, & I"

They handled my petition and there were no problems or any issues. All has gone smoothly. And the price is perfect.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hi!

Most of us on here end up successfully doing it ourselves. Most of the work for applying for the visa is digging out your papers or recollecting/finding info about where you worked or lived for years back. Whether you do it yourself or have a lawyer, you make all of this effort. The rest is filling all that info into the forms. Visa Journey has a great checklist to help you make sure you have everything you need, example forms, and forums to answer any questions you might have about nuances. Believe it or not, this process is supposedly designed so that a lay person could do it. (HA!) Furthermore, as you have such a vested interest in the outcome, you are MUCH less likely to make a simple mistake (such as spelling your name wrong) which could potentially derail your whole case. Before you decide once and for all to go for a lawyer, check out the K1 guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

There are only a very few situations where a lawyer might be good for you:

- Any immigration problems with the beneficiary (overstays, deportations, etc)

- Criminal record (not traffic tickets), especially violent crime for either one.

- You're too lazy or too busy or just plain illiterate and can't spend a few solid hours understanding the process.

Actually, even if you hire a lawyer, I would strongly recommend that you educate yourself about the process so you know what's going on (good input for a BS detector while you are researching someone to hire).

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm not bragging here, but during our recent interview; my fiance was told by one of the gentleman at the consulate that our paperwork was more organized and cleaner than some he's seen submitted by lawyers. So ... study a little, save a lot. ;)

07 Dec 08 - We met.

24 May 09 - We were engaged.

04 Jun 09 - Mailed I-129F to CSC.

15 Jun 09 - NOA 1. Letter in mailbox.

22 Sept 09 - NOA 2. Letter in mailbox.

21 Oct 09 - Interview, approved.

26 Oct 09 - Visa picked up at FedEx.

1 Nov 09 - US entry.

7 Nov 09 - Wedding day.

3 Dec 09 - Mailed AOS package.

9 Dec 09 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP.

5 Jan 10 - Biometrics appointment.

5 Feb 10 - Card production ordered.

We did it ourselves too. Plenty of examples, guidance, and advice here on VJ that was helpful as well. There are members from your home portal and forum that will take you through every step. Save you a buck too!

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

DIY!

You only end up supplying all of the same information to the lawyer as you will write on the forms yourself..:)

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Just wondering what/who is a good agency to use to handle the whole k-1 visa process (fiancee visa for marriage minded persons). THANKS !

The best that I can recommend is the trio of "You, Yourself, & I"

They handled my petition and there were no problems or any issues. All has gone smoothly. And the price is perfect.

Yes, I highly recommend that firm too! Nobody cares more about your case then you! Just follow the instructions on this site and you will be FINE!!! The guides are your friends!!!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Do it by ur self...cheaper and its faster.....

HMmmm... sounds so easy.. but reality: She has 2 prev divorces.. so we have to translate documentes and she doesn't speak well in the english enough to do it correctly. What do you all suggest. I was told that the translated to english name on the foreign passport must match exactly to the name on the visa application (english) or they won't approve the visa? thanks. Did someone say there was someone in the orlando area or east of there who would be willing to help us? thanks.

HMmmm... sounds so easy.. but reality: She has 2 prev divorces.. so we have to translate documentes and she doesn't speak well in the english enough to do it correctly. What do you all suggest. I was told that the translated to english name on the foreign passport must match exactly to the name on the visa application (english) or they won't approve the visa? thanks. Did someone say there was someone in the orlando area or east of there who would be willing to help us? thanks.

As long as she free to marry as in the devorce is 'finalized' your good to go, just have her find a certified translater your going to need one anyways ie any doc's of her's not in english and being submitted as part of your K1, such as birth cert. devorce and so on.

Read the VJ Guides on K1

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree with everyone. We used an attorney out of NY and what a waste of time and money. I left to visit Morocco in May of 2008 and I had just finished sending all my paperwork and asked if there was anything else they needed. It was AUGUST before they sent the paperwork!!! They said it was being reviewed and would I consider marrying him and filing the K3 instead. I advised them if that's what I wanted to do I would have done that. I was so angry. We decided for the AOS we would try it ourselves and the paperwork was very simple...with the help of this website of course. Save your money and file it yourself. Good luck :-)

Remember - worry looks around, sorry looks back and faith looks up.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Some people simply aren't comfortable with doing this kind of thing themselves. If you want a personal visa consultant to help you, I recommend these folks. http://www.fianceandspousevisa.com

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You've heard wrong. Contact Gary and Alla (screen name and real names also) here on VJ. Alla does translations and she is from Ukraine also.

Search around, Gary posts a lot. Also come down to the Russia/Ukraine/Belarus regional forum for better help for country specific questions.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I am using an attorney here in NY, not complaining what the firm has done. They have been responsible and responsive to all my questions on time.. Now that I am almost done with the process found it to be very easy, but of course because several sources but dont regret hiring a firm to so my original filings..

If you think is best for you, and will bring you peace of mind regardless of the expense, then hire a firm that will take over your worries and give you a "professional" assistant.

Best of luck

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.