kike

When did you buy the airline ticket for your Fiancee??

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A) Once you new the interview day

B) After Interview

C) Once Kiev had your filed

D) Other

I was planning to buy the ticket after I get the interview date. I'm thiking of buying a tiket departing from Kiev 15 days after the interview. What do you think???

Edited by kike

Filed: Timeline

Who says *I* bought her ticket?

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

B) After Interview

D) Other

E) After you received the passport with the visa

I was planning to buy the ticket after I get the interview date. I'm thiking of buying a tiket departing from Kiev 15 days after the interview. What do you think???

My vote is for E) After, as a just in case and since there are hefty fees to switch dates on the ticket afterwards. The airlines have been offering great discounted last minute fares (I don't know about from the Ukraine), but I keep finding that 3 weeks out seems to be the best time to buy anyway.

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Timeline

B) After Interview

D) Other

We chose option A. We have 10 days from interview date to flight home. Sure hope it's enough as yea those change fees are pretty significant. Assuming Lena is granted the visa we plan to wait to pick it up ourselves at Fed-Ex in Kyiv so hopefully that will take only a few days then it is back to her place to pack and then back to Kyiv...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

B) After Interview

D) Other

I bought the ticket two weeks after she had the VISA IN HER HAND (oddly enough, not one of your chices) She arrived about a month later after visa issuance. Some of this was due to her own business and personal needs. At no time did we ever consider doing otherwise and Alla never mentioned the process to her employer until the visa was in her hand. I cannot recommend doing anything that involves spending money until you have it in your hand.

E) After you received the passport with the visa

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

We bought our ticket the day we got the interview date. We made it for 11 days after the interview. We both agreed that we were gambling with our money, and luckily that didn't bite us in the wallet. We know we went against every bit of common sense and recomendations. It worked for us, but I would never recommend that avenue to someone else. Our visa was also ready for pick up at FedEx the day after the interview. Which is also unheard of.

I'm hoping that you are taking a poll more than looking for advice. The smart choice is obvious. Anything else is a bit of a gamble.

07 Dec 08 - We met.

24 May 09 - We were engaged.

04 Jun 09 - Mailed I-129F to CSC.

15 Jun 09 - NOA 1. Letter in mailbox.

22 Sept 09 - NOA 2. Letter in mailbox.

21 Oct 09 - Interview, approved.

26 Oct 09 - Visa picked up at FedEx.

1 Nov 09 - US entry.

7 Nov 09 - Wedding day.

3 Dec 09 - Mailed AOS package.

9 Dec 09 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP.

5 Jan 10 - Biometrics appointment.

5 Feb 10 - Card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

B) After Interview

D) Other

We are planning on a flight date about two weeks after the interview and will buy the tickets once she has the visa in her hand.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Claudeth bought hers after the visa arrived. I actually sent her the money because it was way cheaper for her to buy it than me.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

we bought tickets before schedule an interview. We have talked about interview date, and we had tickets before calling to the call center to schedule an interview. Then I called there and we were right, that day was avaliable for us :) We run ricky very much. After getting a visa in hands we had more 10 days before flying home.

So, in our case it was C. As soon as Kiev got our case we bought tickets.

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

We bought the tickets after NOA2—which was quite a gamble, but we had a very specific timetable in mind. We made it, but only by the skin of our teeth. We ended up having to push back our departure date by 3 days, which fortunately cost us less than 100 dollars apiece.

That said, I think the consensus expressed above—wait 'til you have the visa in hand—is wise.

(moving to K-1 Process and Procedures - general enough that it fits best there, though it could conceivably go in Embassy and Consulate Discussion as well)

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Kati and I have been discussing the same thing. Buying a ticket 2-3 weeks out is totally cheaper, but buying a ticket before evertying is final is too risky. We are going to wait until her Visa is in hand.

• 2009-06-06 - Kati flew here to be with me for 2 weeks
  • 2009-06-10 - Propose at Hot Springs pool
  • 2009-06-18 - Sent I-129F
  • 2009-06-23 - Received NOA1
  • 2009-12-18 NOA2 Received (FINALLY)
  • 2009-10-17 - Received letter from NVC
  • 2009-10-21 - Received Packet 3
  • 2009-10-30 - Sent in Packet 3
  • 2009-11-04 - Received Packet 4
  • 2009-11-09 - Interview
  • 2009-11-11 - Kati flew to US
  • 2009-11-16 - Marriage License Issued
  • 2009-11-19 - Married
  • 2010-01-13 - Sent AOS to Chicago (Express)
  • 2010-01-15 - AOS Package signed for
  • 2010-02-02 - Medical RFE
  • 2010-02-05 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 2010-04-17 - Initial Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

B) After Interview

D) Other

2 1/2 months after the interview.... that was because our approval went faster than either of us could ever have expected... and she had a lot of unfinished business with work, family, home, etc... that needed to get done... (we were expecting an embassy interview in July, not April)

But as soon as she said she was ready... I bought the tickets the same day :)

---K1 Visa---

Jan 01, 2009 - Proposed! She said "Yes!"

Jan 23, 2009 - Mailed I-129F

Jan 27, 2009 - NOA1

Mar 11, 2009 - NOA2

Apr 29, 2009 - Embassy Interview

Jul 20, 2009 - POE - Chicago

Jul 31, 2009 - Married!

---AOS/EAD---

Aug 14, 2009 - Filed for AOS/EAD

Aug 20, 2009 - NOA for AOS/EAD

Sep 12, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

Oct 14, 2009 - AOS Approved

Oct 21, 2009 - Green Card Received

---I-751 Removing Conditions---

Jul 19, 2011 - Filed for Removing Conditions

Jul 22, 2011 - NOA for Removing Conditions

We bought the tickets as soon as the interview date was set. A small gamble, given Kiev's record with interviews. Our flight was only one week from the interview date if I recall. Everything worked out fine - so I see no problem with your plan.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.