dalegg

Are we really THIS capitalist?

90 posts in this topic

Yes it is and if they can not pay at the time, they are given time to pay the government later. Why I do not want to pay for it do you? Someone has to pay for it. If you want to live in a dangerous place and then there is a problem the U.S. government is suppose to pay for it? Come on now?

Peter Miami

Did we charge the people in New Orleans to evacuate them?

No, but Lebanon is not a US state.

aha! you just hit on how to make everyone happy! we make lebanon the 51st state!

not until mexico is one first...viva mexico

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes it is and if they can not pay at the time, they are given time to pay the government later. Why I do not want to pay for it do you? Someone has to pay for it. If you want to live in a dangerous place and then there is a problem the U.S. government is suppose to pay for it? Come on now?

Peter Miami

aha! you just hit on how to make everyone happy! we make lebanon the 51st state!

You can't. Israel is already the 51st state ;)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Is Lebanon one of the countries that has a State Department travel warning issued for it? If so then:

- If someone is there on US government orders, the US government should pay to evacuate them.

- If someone is there because of a job, then the company that sent them there should pay.

- If someone is there doing humanitarian work of any sort, the US government should pay. Although I suppose that might bring up church/state issues if the humanitarian work is religious in nature.

- If someone is there just to say they've been to Lebanon, or for any other tourist-y reason, then that person darn well should have known what he was potentially getting into and should pay.

If Lebanon was *not* on the State Department's List of No-Nos as of, say, a month ago, then I don't have a problem with US tax dollars paying to evacuate Americans.

You know...this suggestion is quite reasonable. I would vote for this.

Joel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is Lebanon one of the countries that has a State Department travel warning issued for it? If so then:

- If someone is there on US government orders, the US government should pay to evacuate them.

- If someone is there because of a job, then the company that sent them there should pay.

- If someone is there doing humanitarian work of any sort, the US government should pay. Although I suppose that might bring up church/state issues if the humanitarian work is religious in nature.

- If someone is there just to say they've been to Lebanon, or for any other tourist-y reason, then that person darn well should have known what he was potentially getting into and should pay.

If Lebanon was *not* on the State Department's List of No-Nos as of, say, a month ago, then I don't have a problem with US tax dollars paying to evacuate Americans.

You know...this suggestion is quite reasonable. I would vote for this.

Joel

teddy roosevelt must be spinning in his grave with this charging to evac us citizens...... :blink:

they are american! damn the cost and full speed ahead!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok just a few quick comments ( I don't think they should have to pay to be evacuated btw).

Numero uno: 25,000 Americans are in Lebanon partially because of the fact there is a large branch of American University (the main campus is in DC) in Beiruit - I would say that would constitute a few thousand. There are also quite a few others who came to the US after the last war in Lebanon as refugees. There are not 25,000 that live there full-time. Many are temporary visitors, students etc..

2) If all of the countries with travel warnings were listed it would be a long list - mostly leaving Western Europe as the "safe" places to be. Maybe Canada too....

3) Soooo Peter - if you were visiting your wife's family in Columbia and some big clash erupted (as you are well aware I'm sure Columbia does have travel warnings and is not considered the safest place) you would be considered stupid by your definition. I'm not trying to start anything with you I just think it's kind of an unfair judgement for you to pass even though you are entitled to an opinion.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I seem to remember the US had Britain on a list of 'Troubled' countries during the 80's and 90's (due to the Northern Ireland thing)

Having worked for several international companies you realise that the list of banned and travel restricted countries changes on an almost weekly basis. Hard to keep up with really..

Still I think if the govt doesn't place a charge on foreign refugees and asylum seekers, its hard to justify that your own citizens should have to pay.

Peter has weird ideas...

Somewhere I read he was happy to kick out the country all illegal and now he said the american should pay to be rescue!!!!

So one question peter, why did u care about cuba?

I think is the same, if u see someone swiming from cuba to Florida, Would u charge him to rescue him?

HEY myfriend check that out, you have sharks around u, I'll rescue u if u give me 1000$ :(

C'mon man!

FREE FREE and QUICK

I personally dont view it as capitalist more practical. Why should every other tax payer pick up the tab in the long term. Yes I do believe the govt. should organise the evacuation but issuing a reasonable IOU doesn't to me seem unreasonable. Any traveller or student or non permanent resident would have intended PAYING for their return at some point anyway. Anyone else fleeing is going to have to support themsleves when they arrive elsewhere so yes let them start with the IOU for the trip.

With regard to most refugees they frequently travel via many spurious means to reach a safe haven they dont usually get free evacuation.

As far a New Orleans goes I agree with those who say they were told to leave, and most are paying big style almost a year after the event but I personally lay more blame for situations like that here when people are allowed to build housing in known areas of natural catastrophe and then expect govt handouts seems pretty crazy especially when there are plenty of acres in this beautiful country that ae perfectly safe to build and develop.

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Peter Miami

Well he only said this applied to me living in a dangerous place. He didn't say this was specific to outside the U.S. God help you if you decide to take up residency on the Space Station and you can't pay for a ride back on a shuttle in case of emergency, eh? :P

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Timeline
I personally dont view it as capitalist more practical. Why should every other tax payer pick up the tab in the long term. Yes I do believe the govt. should organise the evacuation but issuing a reasonable IOU doesn't to me seem unreasonable. Any traveller or student or non permanent resident would have intended PAYING for their return at some point anyway. Anyone else fleeing is going to have to support themsleves when they arrive elsewhere so yes let them start with the IOU for the trip.

With regard to most refugees they frequently travel via many spurious means to reach a safe haven they dont usually get free evacuation.

As far a New Orleans goes I agree with those who say they were told to leave, and most are paying big style almost a year after the event but I personally lay more blame for situations like that here when people are allowed to build housing in known areas of natural catastrophe and then expect govt handouts seems pretty crazy especially when there are plenty of acres in this beautiful country that ae perfectly safe to build and develop.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up for me...thanks Widge!

oh, and sparkofcreation too....ITA...

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

i guess i have a biased opinion because i am here. so ill try to keep my thoughts based on fact.

there are 25,000 Americans AT LEAST in Lebanon for the following reasons

-They are Lebanese-American Dual Citizens

-They work here

-They attend AUB or other Intl schools

-Its summer time and Lebanon is very touristic in the summer, being it is viewed as the 'Paris of the middle East' as it is the most Liberal Arab country, and it really is or shall i say was a beautiful country to visit, it doesnt rain from June to Sept and there are or were plenty of beaches and other tourist spots

-They are in my shoes and dealing with the grulling immigration process and chose not to abandon their spouse during the long process

so there ya go thats why there are so many 'Americans' here.

Now as to whether we should have to pay...Yes I think we should have to pay 'Something' but to say 'You will be required to pay or sign promisary notes to pay back the fee PLUS interest for the evacuation process from Lebanon to transfer in Cyrpus, PLUS you will have to pay commercial airline tickets at full seasonal rates and hotel charges while in the transfer country' UMM excuse me, but Cyprus is the most dang expensive country i know of during the summer, and flights?? with gas prices soaring because of this ####### ON TOP of the summer season each person who leaves will be lucky to spend under 2500 bucks to get home, PLUS have to pay the govt back for the 500 fee or whatever they set it at plus interest. To me no that isnt fair. We should have to pay something yes, but full rates and hotel costs while we will be stranded in another foriegn country at no fault of our own is ludacris. I have talked to the embassy here in Lebanon personally about 100 times in the past week, and have been told all that info each time. and it is also listed on the sites.................so what happens to the people that cant pay their airline tickets? are they told to stay behind 'because thats the law'? im sorry but i am a usa taxpayer still to this day, i have worked for my right to be rescued from a country at war, i claim my taxes for the work i do here, tho it is just private lessons, i pay my taxes in hopes that if something like this were to happen that my govt wouldnt ask questions about getting me to safety............

alright enuf about me. carry on with your debate. just a front line opinion

Edited by jessNgeorges

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Are you saying that if someone can't pay - then they should be left there to possibly die??? I think that those who feel the evacuees should pay are extremely materialistic and selfish.

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

that is what we are being told. any on top of that banks here are only giving money in the local currency. what good is that going to be in Cyprus or where ever else they take us? you think the airports will exchange the local currency for usd? this is just so dumb

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

hmmmmmmm why doesnt this surprise me :huh:

I agree that when someone or groups of people do something stupid they should have to pay the cost of being rescued and putting the rescuers in many cases in danger because of someone else's stupidity. I even agree that those in NO that refused to evacuate to stay with their homes should also have been made to pay something towards their rescue because of their stupidity. But in this case, it is a WARZONE for gods sake, with 25,000 USC wanting to get out. Students, workers, etc. If they stoop this low, are they also going to bill the government workers they have evacuated already and first. I somehow doubt it.

Get your damm people out. Jeesh!!!

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.