chely0728

Need someone to clarify please!!!

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just read something that confused me alot.

Alot of people are saying the k3 is not much better than the CR-1.

I understand the uscic is approving the k3 and cr-1 around the same time but after they are approved how long is the wait to actually get the interview and enter the U.S. with the Cr-1? K3?

Is it really 9-18 months with the CR-1? :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once approved, the K-3 saves you weeks (that's really it) so plan on 6 - 12 months from start to finish (largely based on the consulate)

That said, the K-3 slows your petition down as your I-130 is pulled out of line when the I-129 is filed then put at the back of the line. K-3s were being approved 6-8 weeks later than stand alone I-130s.

How long is the wait after approval? That is consulate specific. Some are quick, others like Montreal are terribly slow

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

it really depends on the consulate and how fast you get through the process at NVC. It could save anywhere from 1-3 months.

edit:do some research on how far out your consulate schedules K vs CR1 visas

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
it really depends on the consulate and how fast you get through the process at NVC. It could save anywhere from 1-3 months.

The maximum time savings from petition approval to interview is a few weeks. This is cancelled out by the few weeks back in the line your I-130 goes to be joined with and re-prioritized to match your I-129F filing date. Unless you have special circumstances, K3 is obsolete.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The maximum time savings from petition approval to interview is a few weeks. This is cancelled out by the few weeks back in the line your I-130 goes to be joined with and re-prioritized to match your I-129F filing date. Unless you have special circumstances, K3 is obsolete.

last time i checked, they are processing them at uscis in the same amount of time

usually, a k3 stops at nvc for a week or two at most and consulates generally schedule k's a month or so faster than cr1's....thats more than a few weeks. it was different when the k3's were taking MONTHS longer than the CR1's at uscis but now that they have sped them up there actually is a larger procesing time difference.

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

last time i checked, they are processing them at uscis in the same amount of time

usually, a k3 stops at nvc for a week or two at most and consulates generally schedule k's a month or so faster than cr1's....thats more than a few weeks. it was different when the k3's were taking MONTHS longer than the CR1's at uscis but now that they have sped them up there actually is a larger procesing time difference.

K3 (I-129F for spouse) petitions NEVER took longer than I-130 petitions. When you file an I-129F for a spouse, they join the two petitions and put the I-130 back in the line where the I-129F entered. They then approve them the same day but the I-130 alone would have been approved sooner if the I-129F had never been filed. Please pay attention to what's already been posted.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Agreed, the K-3 will maybe save you a few weeks... But you have to weigh if that few weeks is worth the hassle and $$$ invloved in Adjusting Status and work issues... Remember, once the CR1 is issued, your spouse enters with the right to work and GC (551 stamp)... K-3 takes time, effort and another process???

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Thanks for the replys my husband and i decided to do the CR-1. I just wanted to clarify the time bc i had read that the Cr1 after being approved takes 18 months. I just got a bit confused. Thanks

Your hubby made a SMART decision! :thumbs:

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

K3 (I-129F for spouse) petitions NEVER took longer than I-130 petitions. When you file an I-129F for a spouse, they join the two petitions and put the I-130 back in the line where the I-129F entered. They then approve them the same day but the I-130 alone would have been approved sooner if the I-129F had never been filed. Please pay attention to what's already been posted.

:lol: Im sure you and any other person reading understood what i was saying... filing a k3 last year costed about 4-6 months longer at uscis and their posted processing times reflected that.

the fact still remains that "The maximum time savings from petition approval to interview is a few weeks." is not correct

Thanks for the replys my husband and i decided to do the CR-1. I just wanted to clarify the time bc i had read that the Cr1 after being approved takes 18 months. I just got a bit confused. Thanks

good luck on a speedy journey :)

Edited by Y's_habibitk

Thanks!

Timeline

:lol: Im sure you and any other person reading understood what i was saying... filing a k3 last year costed about 4-6 months longer at uscis and their posted processing times reflected that.

the fact still remains that "The maximum time savings from petition approval to interview is a few weeks." is not correct

While when looking only at incomplete statistics instead of actually what is happening in the real world in real time, one might draw that conclusion, the fact remains that the I-129F filing delays the I-130 approval. When people file the I-130 alone, plan for a CR1 from the beginning and follow the guides, the end result is a timeline within days of being identical. These facts are not illustrated in any statistical timelines but they are availble to observe. Several of us have taken the time to actually observe and draw correct conclusions from those observations. My strongest example is my own wife and her sister. Her sister's CR1 timeline was shorter in 09 than my wife's K3 timeline in 06 and to my knowledge, my wife's k3 timeline from China was the fastest reported.

CR1 is faster now than K3 was then and far faster than it was a few years ago. The justification for the K3's creation has evaporated for all but the rarest of cases. Nevertheless, most of what you'll read on the internet is about how K3 is the preferred spouse visa in terms of time. It's just not so anymore.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

All seems like a moot point really. Go K-3 maybe get here sooner. Then have to wait for AOS and pay $1010 while the SO sits on the sofa for 4 months or more. I really have a hard time with anyone advocating a K-3 visa these days. Maybe there are good reasons, but I can't think of one. K-3 should be done away with IMHO.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Timeline

While when looking only at incomplete statistics instead of actually what is happening in the real world in real time, one might draw that conclusion, the fact remains that the I-129F filing delays the I-130 approval. When people file the I-130 alone, plan for a CR1 from the beginning and follow the guides, the end result is a timeline within days of being identical. These facts are not illustrated in any statistical timelines but they are availble to observe. Several of us have taken the time to actually observe and draw correct conclusions from those observations. My strongest example is my own wife and her sister. Her sister's CR1 timeline was shorter in 09 than my wife's K3 timeline in 06 and to my knowledge, my wife's k3 timeline from China was the fastest reported.

CR1 is faster now than K3 was then and far faster than it was a few years ago. The justification for the K3's creation has evaporated for all but the rarest of cases. Nevertheless, most of what you'll read on the internet is about how K3 is the preferred spouse visa in terms of time. It's just not so anymore.

obviously, your observations are far superior to anyone else's...so, Im not going to argue about "weeks vs months" with you push. You observed your 09 sister in law's case vs your wife's 06 case and drawn the conclusions for all. have at it

Edited by Y's_habibitk

Thanks!

Timeline
All seems like a moot point really. Go K-3 maybe get here sooner. Then have to wait for AOS and pay $1010 while the SO sits on the sofa for 4 months or more. I really have a hard time with anyone advocating a K-3 visa these days. Maybe there are good reasons, but I can't think of one. K-3 should be done away with IMHO.

Im not saying everyone needs to run out and file for k3.. Im just answering the OP's question about the time difference.

There are plenty of people on the "DONT FILE K3!!" squad to educate on the benefits of the CR1 :P

Thanks!

Timeline

obviously, your observations are far superior to anyone else's...so, Im not going to argue about "weeks vs months" with you push. You observed your 09 sister in law's case vs your wife's 06 case and drawn the conclusions for all. have at it

No, I said that was my strongest example, not my only example. There have been many examples and it took at least the first year after the change in USCIS procedures to come to that conclusion. It's only been confirmed over and over again since then. However, you will not see this in timeline statistics because they aren't set up to track what happens to I-130 petitions when they are followed with I-129F for spouse. One would have to actually pay attention and observe the available information as it comes in. I've been doing that for the nearly three years since the procedures changed.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.