Mrs. Forgetful

Sending money to ME/NA

Sending money to your spouses ME/NA families  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are you okay with your spouse sending money to his/her ME/NA family?

• Yes, it's his/her hard earned money
    • Yes, but it should be talked about first
    • Maybe/undecided
    • No, He/she has a family to support here
    • No, we don't make enough money to send
    • My spouse doesn't send money to his/her family

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've been wondering for some time now what people think about their spouse sending to their ME/NA families. I understand some situations, but now with the economy the way it is here in the USA, is it ok to send money you may or may not have to send? Anyway, please feel free to comment! Thanks for your opinion! :D

(Hopefully I did this poll correctly!)

Edited by Mrs. Forgetful

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

When my fiance comes here, I am 100% completely supportive of him sending money to his family. His family is not well off and is dependant on his support, and I am with him 100%. His family is my family, and I want to be assured they are taken care of. ^_^

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Timeline

IMO...

Our family first. Everyone else second, including my family as well.

I believe discussions are important about sending money or spending money on others outside our family unit. Although, we typically don't send money unless its a holiday or birthday for our families plus as you stated, our economy is in the sh!tter so everyone should be saving (of course emergencies happen, thank god none have yet!).

Recently though, I had a family member (and her kids) come and stay with us. We discussed the fact that they were flat broke and needed help. He was very supportive of helping them out financially to get set up in their own place. Perhaps his agreement had to do with wanting them out of our house so badly too!! :devil::rofl:

Blindly sending money...with no reason. No thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ahmed has never asked or mention to send any money back home, i hear stories of family fixing up the house, buying a car etc so i think i would have to say they manage ok but we do send things for his neice and a young cousin, for her it is such a treat for her to receive a box and for him his father (ahmeds uncle) is not working and sickly so we try to do things for the young boy, also he does include maybe some lotions etc for the mom but no money

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

I agree with Annie. Just sending money to send it, no. If there's a problem of some kind, yes.

My husband has sent quite a bit of money to his family the past few months because of his father's illness and subsequent death. The medicine and treatment for the illness was quite expensive. At the end, he sent money in order for his family to prepare for the burial. Prior to his father's illness, he only sent money one other time as a gift to his sister for her wedding.

I don't buy this ####### about sending money to "set up a home" back home. You can't save money here and buy the home together at another time? I dunno, it's suspect to me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

As long as it is discussed and agreed upon I have no problem with it. I see no difference in my husband sending money home and me supporting my parents when they get older if needed.

It's family, parents, siblings... what else can you do? If you can help when needed, you help. Doesn't matter if they're in MENA or Minnesota. That's just my opinion.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

We send money to Argentina to pay for my In-laws health insurance costs - about $60 a month. I also like to add about $20 to $40 extra so that my MIL can buy something nice for herself, or treat them to a nice meal. It's small but significant. :star:

:thumbs::luv: That's a really sweet gesture, Staashi.

We send money to Argentina to pay for my In-laws health insurance costs - about $60 a month. I also like to add about $20 to $40 extra so that my MIL can buy something nice for herself, or treat them to a nice meal. It's small but significant. :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

We've sent money to his family on a few occasions. His family is dependent on him and a younger sister working in Dubai for house payments and emergencies (which there have been a couple major ones). He is the eldest son and his father passed away many years ago. I love them dearly and would rather go without than them, of course I always make sure all our bills and the kids needs are taken care of first...there's just not a lot of padding in the ole savings account, in fact, I think it's mostly cobwebs in there right now and perhaps a couple dust bunnies.....

OUR TIMELINE:

Met online: June 5, 2006

Met in person: February 5, 2007

Marriage: February 24, 2007 in Beirut, Lebanon

I-130 Sent: July 23, 2007

NOA1: September 4, 2007

Daughter Born: October 27, 2007

NOA2 (Both 1-130 & I-129): March 12, 2008

NVC receives I-129F, case # assigned: April 4, 2008 (They NEVER receive the I-130)

Interview Date: August 12, 2008

Visa in hand, 1 month exactly of AP/AR/name checks: September 12, 2008 (whoot! whoot!)

POE: October 16, 2008 (praying all goes smoothly!)

Abed arrives in Lexington, KY (FINALLY! What a rough trip for him!): October 17, 2008, 8:47am EST

Adjustment of Status:

Sent in April 16, 2009

Received NOA1 in mail: April 29, 2009

Biometrics Appt: May 13, 2009

RFE: May 11, 2009 (received May 14, 2009)

Sent in RFE (that we had already included in the original packet!): May 26, 2009

Resumed Processing: June 1, 2009

EAD Card Production Ordered: June 10, 2009 (thank you GOD!!)

Received EAD card: June 20, 2009

2nd Daughter Born: July 13, 2009

Interview Date: July 31, 2009...easy, breezy...Card Production Ordered!

Received 10 year green card : August 14, 2009

Baby Boy is born: May 17, 2012

Apply for Citizenship: October 22, 2012

Interview: January 11, 2013

Oath Date: April 12, 2013 (Covington, KY)

done Done and DONE!!! Praise God!

Now we get to work on getting his family to the US!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have no problem with my husband sending money to his family to help out provided that we are taken care of also. I understand that they are worse off in his country, but the responsibility to my kids are important too.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

The only thing my husband has said he wanted to do is repay his father for the ticket he purchased to get here. Once he's working and can afford to do so - fine by me, I would do the same if my parents paid for anything for me.

As far as sending money home "just because" ??? Well its his $$ & as long as he meets his household & savings responsibilites then I guess I would be cool with it. However, he's never contributed to his family before so I dont know why he would start now & if sending $$ homes breaks him to the point where he cant take of the household he's living in - then we'd have a problem.

No prob with sending thoughtful, small gift for Eid, Ramadan, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, etc .. for those special moments ...

The Story of Prince & his Angel

Our Marriage in Ariana, Tunisia - May 1, 2008

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

U.S. Embassy: Tunis, Tunisia

The Journey through VSC:

I-130: June 09, 2008 to April 03, 2009

I-129F: August 5, 2008 to April 03, 2009

The Journey through NVC:

Received by NVC: April 04, 2009

Left NVC: April 13, 2009

The Journey through the Consulate:

April 24, 2009 - May 14, 2009

May 19, 2009 Interview Day @ 11:00 am - PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 Picked up VISA

June 26, 2009 Prince flies to America, arrives to JFK - exactly 18 months from the day we met!!

The Journey through AOS:

May 05, 2010 - mailed I-485

May 11, 2010 - text message stating application received

May 13, 2010 - NOA1 for AOS

May 17, 2010 - Biometrics letter rec'd

June 10, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 03, 2010 - AOS @10:45 am - "conditional" approval pending corrected medical form by Civil Surgeon

Sept 8, 2010 - AOS Approved for 10 year Greencard!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When my husband bought his house in Morocco, he borrowed money from his brother that lives in the states. So he is paying him back and instead of it goin back to the brother, it gets sent to his mom. I have no problem with this cause its a debt set up in our budget and we are able to handle the amount we send every month. But if our income could not handle it, we would not be paying what we are. IMO, we come first. And then his mother and brothers in Morocco or if my parents were in need of help. But as far as everyone else goes, he thinks he needs money for everyone, he earns that money by himself aside from his paycheck. So he don't get into the household income.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
As long as it is discussed and agreed upon I have no problem with it. I see no difference in my husband sending money home and me supporting my parents when they get older if needed.

It's family, parents, siblings... what else can you do? If you can help when needed, you help. Doesn't matter if they're in MENA or Minnesota. That's just my opinion.

Laura, I agree. Family is family. Although, our family here comes first because if we don't take care of things here, then we can't help out the family in Egypt.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

I know that hubby wants to do for his family back home but he has 2 brothers and a sister who live abroad who are very well off and we are no where near in the same financial situation as them.

I mean we are just like any other average family on here where visa the process had did me in and he just getting his feet wet with working.

I say, if we are in a position to send it, fine and would love to, but since he has arrived 11 months ago, we have not been.

We are just starting our lives together here and we need to tackle matters at home.

Sorry to say it but let those who can help (siblings) help. When he was over there rotting away no one gave a rat's ####### about him or his future now he needs to look out for himself and our family.

I plan to take some goodies and gifts there when we return next year.

Edited by Sandrila

We've sent money to his family on a few occasions. His family is dependent on him and a younger sister working in Dubai for house payments and emergencies (which there have been a couple major ones). He is the eldest son and his father passed away many years ago. I love them dearly and would rather go without than them, of course I always make sure all our bills and the kids needs are taken care of first...there's just not a lot of padding in the ole savings account, in fact, I think it's mostly cobwebs in there right now and perhaps a couple dust bunnies.....

i agree and hear ya on that ! :unsure:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.