Kadagan

Affidavit of Support - Proof of Income - Disabled Vet

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

I recently received my NOA2 and my fiancé and I are gearing up for the interview. I am a 100% P&T disabled US veteran and I'm concerned about the proof of income and Affidavit of Support portions. My income is well beyond poverty level but I haven't filed taxes in years as I have no taxable income and it is a waste of time and money for everyone if I file.

I do however have a letter from the VA stating my income and status... Is this enough?

This concern is gaining momentum in my mind and I'm very concerned... any advice you have would be appreciated.

if u were working in government only 100percent poverty guidelines and theirs exemption for that, i think u are qualified.

try look at poverty guidelines who work in goverment.

04/08/2013 received NOA1 1-130 FOR PARENT

????????

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The VA letter suporting your income claim is what you would submit along with the I-134. For the I-134 your tax return may not be required. Those with experience going through Guangzhou will add their thoughts here.

Shortly after marriage at the Adjustment of Status for your then spouse you will submit the I-864 Affidavit of Support. The instructions for the form I-864 do state that if you did not file tax returns you must supply a written statement giving evidence of why you are not required to file a return. Your statement that it is a waste of time and money will not likely be sufficient. You MAY be required to file tax returns for up to the past 3 years.

See page 8 of the form instructions here -->> http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello,

I recently received my NOA2 and my fiancé and I are gearing up for the interview. I am a 100% P&T disabled US veteran and I'm concerned about the proof of income and Affidavit of Support portions. My income is well beyond poverty level but I haven't filed taxes in years as I have no taxable income and it is a waste of time and money for everyone if I file.

I do however have a letter from the VA stating my income and status... Is this enough?

This concern is gaining momentum in my mind and I'm very concerned... any advice you have would be appreciated.

Yes. You are exempt from income tax filing if you have no taxable income. Submit your evidence of income with a letter explaining your exemption. As long as the income is verified with documentation, you are good to go.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
The VA letter suporting your income claim is what you would submit along with the I-134. For the I-134 your tax return may not be required. Those with experience going through Guangzhou will add their thoughts here.

Shortly after marriage at the Adjustment of Status for your then spouse you will submit the I-864 Affidavit of Support. The instructions for the form I-864 do state that if you did not file tax returns you must supply a written statement giving evidence of why you are not required to file a return. Your statement that it is a waste of time and money will not likely be sufficient. You MAY be required to file tax returns for up to the past 3 years.

See page 8 of the form instructions here -->> http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Anh Map is correct. IF you have any other form of income except tax exempt veterans disability you have to file a tax return, even if you know you would not need to pay tax due to deductions or other exemptions, they make you go through the motions. There is no penalty for late filing if no tax is owed. IF your only form of income is the tax exempt disability then you can claim a legitimate exemption from filing tax returns

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The VOs at GUZ are picky about W-2 income.

You don't have any.

BUT - I suggest you prepare an INCOME STATEMENT at a CPAs office, have it look 'official' with the word 'AUDITED' at top and bottom. Show 3 years of income, just to be on the safe side, and

MAKE SURE IT's NOTARIZED (Most CPAs will do that, if you ask ) .

Be prepared to spend about 250 for this, no more than 2 hours of CPA time.

Ya, I know, it sucks -but without discernable W-2 income, ya gotta untrack the VOs out of 'automatic' - an INCOME STATEMENT will accomplish that. Sure, include the VA letter as well, but 'in addition to', not 'solely'.

There have been some folk get blue-slips that were in your exact situation - No W-2 Income at all, but had guv income WAY above the poverty levels.

GOOD LUCK !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
The VOs at GUZ are picky about W-2 income.

You don't have any.

BUT - I suggest you prepare an INCOME STATEMENT at a CPAs office, have it look 'official' with the word 'AUDITED' at top and bottom. Show 3 years of income, just to be on the safe side, and

MAKE SURE IT's NOTARIZED (Most CPAs will do that, if you ask ) .

Be prepared to spend about 250 for this, no more than 2 hours of CPA time.

Ya, I know, it sucks -but without discernable W-2 income, ya gotta untrack the VOs out of 'automatic' - an INCOME STATEMENT will accomplish that. Sure, include the VA letter as well, but 'in addition to', not 'solely'.

There have been some folk get blue-slips that were in your exact situation - No W-2 Income at all, but had guv income WAY above the poverty levels.

GOOD LUCK !

This is my course of action.. thank you very much Darnell

• 13 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 10/8/2009 at 2:47 PM, Kadagan said:

This is my course of action.. thank you very much Darnell

Hi Kadagan. I have the same question. my hubby has some DFAS income and VA 90% income, for more than 10 years now. We are sponsoring my dad but surely we need to put in our AOS the VA disability income. I m worry about it, can you please tell me what you did finally and how can i have a solution for these issue please? Thx you very much. Diana n Mark

N-400 San bernardino California filer.

GC-Date: Aug/05/2014
Sent: 05/22/2017
Cashd:  05/25/2017
NOA: 05/25/2017
Fprints: 

06/19/2017
In Line: 07/27/2017
Int Ltr: 08/21/2007
Interview: 09/18/2017

RFE: 09/18/2017

RFE Applied I751: 09/20/2017

RFE I751 Fprints: 10/20/2017

RFE I751 Interview: 11/13/2017

N400 and I751 Approved: 11/13/2017
In line for Oath: 11/24/2017

Letter Oath Ceremony Sent: 11/27/2017

Letter Oath Ceremony Arrived: 11/30/2017

Oath: 12/21/2017

Field Office:  San Bernardino, CA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2009 is now closed to further comment.

The most recent poster may post a new thread with the inquiry.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.