ninguno

i am geting married in a week

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

i am already in the United States with my fiance we are getting married in a litle bit more then a week in a church .we are going to get our weedding permits but i am divorced and i dont understand what kind of copy of divorce certificate i need .....can it be a simple one .....or does it need to be stampt by foreing affairs

please anyone from peru that was divorce before getting married here ..I NEED ADVICE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You need the certified copy from the courts in order to apply for your current marriage. Without it your marriage will not be valid

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

You need the certified copy from the courts in order to apply for your current marriage. Without it your marriage will not be valid

That may be the case in some states, but certainly not in all. In all of the state that I am familiar with, it is not required to present a divorce decree from a previous marriage in order to get married. Please provide a reference to even 1 state that requires it.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

That may be the case in some states, but certainly not in all. In all of the state that I am familiar with, it is not required to present a divorce decree from a previous marriage in order to get married. Please provide a reference to even 1 state that requires it.

We are in ohio..... please how long does it take to get a wedding permit and what about the divorce certificate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

HMM maybe I was incorrect in this point however she will need it once she applies for AOS. Sorry. I was thinking more laong the AOS line rather than marrying.

Usually it takles 72 hours to get the license once it is applied for. Here in NJ we applied on a tuesday and had the license by Thursday. The license was good for 30 days

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

We are in ohio..... please how long does it take to get a wedding permit and what about the divorce certificate

As it turns out, Ohio is a state that asks you to bring a certified copy of your divorce decree to get the marriage license.

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/ohio.htm

If you don't have it, call the county clerk and ask if they can issue a license without it.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Go to Tennesse, same day.

HMM maybe I was incorrect in this point however she will need it once she applies for AOS. Sorry. I was thinking more laong the AOS line rather than marrying.

Usually it takles 72 hours to get the license once it is applied for. Here in NJ we applied on a tuesday and had the license by Thursday. The license was good for 30 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Being a K1 didnt you already need a divorce decree for the Visa Application??? what did you use??

K1

see my timeline for K1

Applied for SSN : 2009-05-07

Received SSN : 2009-05-11 (maiden Name)

Marriage : 2009-06-27

AOS

Filed: 2009-07-20

Delivered : 2009-07-22 Signed by - R MERCADO.

NOA's dated : 2009-07-27

received NOA's : 2009-07-31

touched : 2009-07-30 for EAD, I-485 and AP

Bio Appointment : 2009-08-21

touched: AOS case moved to California 2009-09-09

EAD Card Ordered : 2009-09-17

AP Approved: 2009-09-17

AP Received: 2009-09-24

EAD Card Received: 2009-09-24

Case transfered again, back to the NBC we go 2009-10-13

Woohooo got my drivers license today 2009-10-13

2009-11-05 Went to change my SSN to my married name but was told it wasnt in the system yet i receive mail from USCIS in my married name

April 15th 2010, received email that my green card is on its way woohooo!!!

April 23rd 2010 received my greencard today

ezub3hz.png

Timeline

We live in Ohio and Isa and I were never asked to show any divorce decree but we did have them with us just in case. They only asked if we were "free to marry and came in of our own accord", they did ask for our ID's and then the whole process took about 15 minutes at the county courthouse. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Brian & Isa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
i am already in the United States with my fiance we are getting married in a litle bit more then a week in a church .we are going to get our weedding permits but i am divorced and i dont understand what kind of copy of divorce certificate i need .....can it be a simple one .....or does it need to be stampt by foreing affairs

please anyone from peru that was divorce before getting married here ..I NEED ADVICE

You will have to ask the authority issuing the license, maybe none. In Vermont you simply sign an affidavit stating you are eligible to marry, no copies of divorce certificates needed.

Varies by jurisdiction, she needs to check with the person issuing the license.

Being a K1 didnt you already need a divorce decree for the Visa Application??? what did you use??

She is asking about the marriage license and maybe did not keep a certified copy, there is a good chance she will not need a copy of anything for the marriage lisence

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Use the one that you sent your fiance when he first filed the K-1 petition. Since he made two copies of everything that he sent, he should have a copy.

He DID make copies, right?

If he or you don't have a copy, you will need to call back tp Peru and have another one sent.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are wrong on several more points. She does not need a divorce certificate at all for the AOS. Only her marriage certificate to the petitioner. So not sure what you were thinking about that.

Waiting periods are entirely jurisdictional. We were married 45 minutes after the lisence was issued in Vermont. The majority of states have no waiting period.

As for the other poster, the state of Illinois required it a few years ago, not sure if that changed. The state of Wisconsin requires it (mostly because they have their own strange "no marriage for 6 months after a divorce" rule) It is deadly to make borad statements about a topic that is regulated by hundreds or thousands of jurisdictions throughout the USA. One can say nearly anything and it is correct somewhere, but probably not most places. The ONLY way to know is to go to the issuing authority in the state/county/town where you will be married and ask.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I got divorced in Peru. just go to the Municipal office and request a certified copy of your divorce parpers. I t does not need to be seal by REALCIONES EXTERIORES.

USCIS Journey

6-4-2010 Package mailed

6-8-2010 Package received at Chicago Mailbox.

6-11-2010 Receipt date on NOA1

6-14-2010 Cashed money order

6-14-2010 touched

6-15-2010 touched

6-15-2010 Received NOA1 hard copy

11-1-10 Approved I-130

11-2-10 Received text message notifying approval.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.