calihani

Question about Co-sponsor

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have been with my fiance for just about 3 years. we have filled out all the paperwork and satisfied all the requirements. I am ready to file in the coming week.

My situation is hard, I am currently a single mother and I have a disability but do not receive benefits. I was working for 3 years at the same job but did not make enough to cover us all under the requirements. I was laid off in may because the owner got sick with cancer and had to sell the company. The new owner decided his wife would make a better employee. I can understand that, a much as i dont like it.

I need a co-sponsor. I have asked my family to no avail. they are just not interested. everyone is so scared of it. they hear 10 ///responsible for all his support...They dont want try to understand it. its sad but thats the dynamic of my family.

Our plans that we have talked about over the years is to have him come here, he can work until my child is ready for school and hopefully we will start a business here. He is an extremely hard worker and has his own business now in Lebanon. He wants to take care of me so I can get better and then we can work together.

I cannot find a co-sponsor. I dont know what to do. Its impossible for me to work now and I dont understand how the government could worry that an able bodied man would be approved for welfare. There is just no way he will become a public charge. He would never accept that sort of thing.

Someone told me that religious organizations would do co-sponsorship but I have not been able to find out anything to that effect,

I am sorry I am rambling and not making much sense. I am just at wits end.

thanks all,

cali

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I have been with my fiance for just about 3 years. we have filled out all the paperwork and satisfied all the requirements. I am ready to file in the coming week.

My situation is hard, I am currently a single mother and I have a disability but do not receive benefits. I was working for 3 years at the same job but did not make enough to cover us all under the requirements. I was laid off in may because the owner got sick with cancer and had to sell the company. The new owner decided his wife would make a better employee. I can understand that, a much as i dont like it.

I need a co-sponsor. I have asked my family to no avail. they are just not interested. everyone is so scared of it. they hear 10 ///responsible for all his support...They dont want try to understand it. its sad but thats the dynamic of my family.

Our plans that we have talked about over the years is to have him come here, he can work until my child is ready for school and hopefully we will start a business here. He is an extremely hard worker and has his own business now in Lebanon. He wants to take care of me so I can get better and then we can work together.

I cannot find a co-sponsor. I dont know what to do. Its impossible for me to work now and I dont understand how the government could worry that an able bodied man would be approved for welfare. There is just no way he will become a public charge. He would never accept that sort of thing.

Someone told me that religious organizations would do co-sponsorship but I have not been able to find out anything to that effect,

I am sorry I am rambling and not making much sense. I am just at wits end.

thanks all,

cali

Co-sponsors for this type of visa need to be AN individual, not an organization. There may be some organizations that provide individual co-sponsors, I never heard of that. Normally you will need a co-sponsor, it does not matter what your or his opinions are of welfare etc. The government does not care about you in any way, shape or form (never forget that) and they need to cover their own @ss, and they WILL do that.

Now I have heard that the consulate in Jaurez is very lenient on this issue (consulates can and do vary on how this is enforced) and that they do not require any financial documents at all...check on that in the regional forum....HOWEVER you will definitely need a joint-sponsor for the AOS after he arrives and USCIS is NOT lenient about that. The I-134 for the consulate is really kind of BS since it is very temporary and not legally enforceable in any case. The I-864 used for the AOS is legally enforceable and has a 10 year term, and on THAT they WILL cover their....you know.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

But I wonder...do any of these people you have asked know just what it means to be a co-sponsor? Have you shown them any information on it or just explained it yourself. A lot of the nervousness and such comes from merely not understanding what being a co-sponsor means. Maybe going back to those who do not want to understand it and giving them a sheet of information to read about it will help them understand it better.

Have you tried to get on disability? If not, I would certainly get that going. Do you receive child support as a single mother? I used child support to help meet the income requirements for my now husband since my job didn't meet the income level alone.

I really hope you get this figured this out. (F)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Now I have heard that the consulate in Jaurez is very lenient on this issue (consulates can and do vary on how this is enforced) and that they do not require any financial documents at all...check on that in the regional forum....HOWEVER you will definitely need a joint-sponsor for the AOS after he arrives and USCIS is NOT lenient about that. The I-134 for the consulate is really kind of BS since it is very temporary and not legally enforceable in any case. The I-864 used for the AOS is legally enforceable and has a 10 year term, and on THAT they WILL cover their....you know.

Juarez? OP's fiance is from Lebanon not Mexico

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Is there a close friend willing to take this small risk of completing the I-134? It is not a ten-year commitment. Maybe your former employer?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Even if she got the I134 that person would have to step up for AOS after or he couldn't adjust status. What does happen if you get here on a K1 and never find anyone to sign up as a co sponsor for the AOS portion. Do they just remain deportable ? Has anyone ever been deported ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Lebanon
Timeline
Even if she got the I134 that person would have to step up for AOS after or he couldn't adjust status. What does happen if you get here on a K1 and never find anyone to sign up as a co sponsor for the AOS portion. Do they just remain deportable ? Has anyone ever been deported ?

I think I may have found someone to do the I-864 (lol) totally forgot about the I-134....If he does agree to the 864 i think the i134 would be ok too.

In my search for a sponsorI have found some interesting things. May or may not be useful to others in their search for one if needed.

this is a quote from an immigration law journal:

At the same time, it is important to provide a realistic assessment of the probability of actions to enforce the affidavit of support. The author is not aware of any successful actions to obtain reimbursement for means-tested benefit programs obtained by the alien, largely due to the following: (1) sponsored aliens are barred from receiving these benefits for a five-year period in most jurisdictions; (2) after this five-year period, the income of the sponsor is deemed to the alien in determining financial eligibility; and (3) most states have not implemented a system for seeking such reimbursement in cases where the alien does access benefits. Over the course of the last nine years, only a handful of actions have been brought against sponsors by the sponsored alien, and all have been by disgruntled spouses.

This article was first published in Bender's Immigration Bulletin at 10 Bender's Immigr. Bull. 1791 (Dec. 1, 2005). Reproduced with permission.

link to article http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

I do not know if anyone else has had a hard time finding someone not so freaked out by the idea of co-sponsoring. but it seems to me that their fears are like boogeymen in the dark. not really viable when the lights go on.

It was explained to me by a friend's husband who is an immigrant like this:

The government wants that paper to wave in the face of anyone who tries to go on public assistance. If an immigrant shows up to collect aid or insurance, the DHHS can say hey, you have a sponsor...go to them.

I will let you know how it all turns out with this prospective co as soon as i hear from him.

I would also like to know if anyone has been deported once they have gotten here and cannot find sponsor at AOS time.

cali

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Juarez? OP's fiance is from Lebanon not Mexico

Um, yes, but the flags look similar, so I figured that maybe the consulate may have similar rules.... well, YES, sort of, they are similar. OK there is the tree thingy, and the missing green bar, but other than...OK they aren't similar at all!!!!!!!!

Actually, Pay, thanks, I mentioned Juarez because it is one I have read about not requiring documents and it was an example of extremes out there, and also a mentiuon that the consulate rules won't matter for the AOS anyway. I maybe should have been more clear to specify to check in HER regional forum for the specific rules for Lebanon. Lebanon's flag thingy looks nothing like Ukraine's so I do not know about their rules.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would ask more people- friends, ex co-workers etc. That is really your best option. Also explain that the co-sponsor for the K1 is only on the hook until AOS, you can chose another co-sponsor then or self-sponsor if you or your (then) husband find a job by the time AOS comes around.

The other, more remote possibility is assets; you mention your fiance owns a business in Lebanon. Depending on how much money he has saved and property he owns, he might be able to liquidate some of his assets, transfer them to the USA and into your name, and then you can sponsor him based on assets.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.