Mordant

Require Feedback - moving to Texas from Canada +

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All. I have some questions and I hope some of you can direct me which way I have to go.

1. I am Canadian and wife is American.

2. We married in Canada and then wife sponsored me (spousal visa)

3. I have my interview date shortly

Lets hope everything goes smooth and I should get my Passport with stamp + document.

What we plan to do is

Go to the border and inform them that I am crossing first time to USA as a Immigrant and here is my paperwork

What happens here anybody know how all this works?

2nd, once all this is done - Can I apply for my SSN rite there? or do I need to drive somewhere in NewYork to apply for my Temp SSN. I want to get the paperwork going

Same day I want to come back to Toronto and do what is needed, for 15 - 30 days, wrap up till i get my SSN Card mailed to wife address in USA...and then start looking for JObs in TEXAS.

Addon to this

When in Texas, How does drivers license work?

Can I just give them my Canadian License (ontario) and get a Texas license?

If so, great

But as a Canadian, US recognize Dual Citizenship and so does USA. I want to ensure I don't lose my Canadian citizenship. Not sure how important it is to keep my Canadian License or if you can even have 2. But i know my OHIP Healthcard..expires in 5 years. Not sure how that works either if anybody has any expereince with that

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2nd, once all this is done - Can I apply for my SSN rite there? or do I need to drive somewhere in NewYork to apply for my Temp SSN. I want to get the paperwork going

You need to apply for the SSN at the local SSA office and you do not need to go to New York...

no way to apply for an SSN at the border...

The DS-230 Part II you prepare for the visa has the ability to indicate you want an SSN issued upon entrance... that can take a few weeks

No such thing as a Temp SSN

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi and welcome!

Not sure if you have a K3 or IR1/CR1 visa, but i'm assuming it is IR1/CR1. I'll answer what I can for you.

What we plan to do is Go to the border and inform them that I am crossing first time to USA as a Immigrant and here is my paperwork

They will mail you your passport with the visa in it (they being the Montreal consulate), they will also mail you a large brown envelope that you are not going to open. At the border you present your passport and the envelope to the border guard, tell them you are entering the U.S. with your (IR1/CR1 or K3) visa today. They will take it from there - enter data in to their computer, take your fingerprint - that's about it.

You generally have to wait a couple of weeks to apply for a SSN (again, assuming this is an IR1/CR1 visa) - you won't be in their system yet. Wait the 2 weeks, then go to the SSN office with your passport etc.

Addon to this

I'm not sure about texas driving license procedures.

But as a Canadian, US recognize Dual Citizenship and so does USA. I want to ensure I don't lose my Canadian citizenship. Not sure how important it is to keep my Canadian License or if you can even have 2. But i know my OHIP Healthcard..expires in 5 years. Not sure how that works either if anybody has any expereince with that

You do not have to keep your Canadian driver's license. Some States take it away from you when they issue you your state license, some don't. You lose your OHIP as soon as you become a resident of another country.

Neither has anything to do with your Canadian citizenship - you won't lose it.

Good luck!

Addon to this

I think the actual procedure is something close to trading in your Canadian license. I don't think you have to take a test or anything. More info: https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/txdl/welcome.dl

Addon to this

I think the actual procedure is something close to trading in your Canadian license. I don't think you have to take a test or anything. More info: https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/tolapp/txdl/welcome.dl

From Karin's German DL point of view - still had to take both the written and driving portions of the test.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to add a bit to what Trailmix wrote:

Just to clarify, Canada recognizes dual citizenship - the US technically doesn't. They view dual citizens as only being American - but they can't negate the other country's citizenship as only the other country can do that - so they just tend to 'ignore' the fact that a number of US citizens are also citizens of another country. The US can't stop you from being a Canadian if you also become a US citizen - only Canada can do that.

Regardless, you have a long way to go yet before you need to worry about US citizenship. You are applying for your green card right now if you are getting an IR/CR-1 visa (which I assume you are since you are talking about applying for a SSN right away). Once your green card status is approved, you need to wait 3 years as a green card holder married to a US citizen before you are allowed to apply for US citizenship. (If you are applying for a K-3 visa, then you will have a longer wait - you will need to apply first to get a green card along with work authorization and wait until either one of those come through before you can apply for a SSN). And in both cases, if your marriage is less than 2 years old when you get your green card approved, your green card is only good for 2 years and you must apply to remove that two year condition before the green card expires in order to get a 10 year card. US citizenship doesn't just happen by marrying a US citizen.

You will need to wait until you arrive in Texas before you apply for your SSN. There isn't a temporary SSN. Your information needs to be updated in the immigration online records that SSA check to verify you are indeed eligible for a SSN - and that takes approximately 2 weeks. Here is a link to the SSA which will tell you what documents you need and where the offices in your area are. You do need to apply in person but you can print out the form and ffill it in before you go. http://www.ssa.gov/

Regarding your Driver's License, every State has requirements that residents of that state (citizens or non-citizens) obtain a State driving license within a specific number of days. For example, you need to obtain a Georgia license within 30 days of arrival in Georgia, and you need to redo all of the driving tests and exams plus hand over your Canadian license before you can get it as it is illegal to have more than one driver's license in Georgia. You should check the Department of Driver Services/Motor Vehicles for Texas to see what Texas requires as it is different for every State.

OHIP is available only for residents of Ontario. Once you officially cross the border to live in the US, you are no longer a resident of Ontario and no longer eligible for OHIP. You are actually supposed to notify them of the day you cross the border and your card is no longer valid. If you try to claim any OHIP benefits after you cross the border and are living in the US it is considered fraud and carries stiff penalties. You should check with your wife for when she can enroll you on her health insurance plan at work. US plans are very different than in Canada and only allow for family members to be added at either the annual enrollment date of that plan, or at the time of a life-changing event such as marriage. You definitely want to make sure you have some sort of health insurance coverage in place for when you move to the US (it won't be OHIP) and may have to look into purchasing a plan to cover you until you are able to get on your wife's plan if she hasn't already listed you.

It is important to remember the date that you officially move to the States as you will also use that same date as your exit date for your 2009 Income Tax returns early next year. You should notify Canada Revenue Agency of your new address so they can send you your income tax return application to your new address. You will file an 'exit' return for this year at the regular filing date and then not have to deal with taxes to Canada again unless you end up with more Canadian income.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Addon to this

From Karin's German DL point of view - still had to take both the written and driving portions of the test.

Husband didn't take written or driving in Texas. Just turned over his Canadian license, but you do have a year to do it.

Texas driver's license:

New rules as of last October. They want to see evidence that you have legal presence in the US for at least 6 more months when you apply. So if you have an I-94 card from when you cross the border, I believe that will do it for you, because K3s and CR1s get a longer period of time. K1s are only given 90 days and can't get a license immediately. They will issue your license to expire the same time your I-94 expires. It will be turned "portrait style" and have the words "temporary visitor." I don't know of a special agreement between Canada and Texas, but my British husband had to take a written and driving test. Once you get a green card to show them, they will order you a new normal Texas Driver's License (for a fee.) You are expected to get a Texas Driver's License within 30 days of moving to Texas.

You don't have a timeline, but if you are getting a K3 visa, then you are not eligible to get a SSN shortly after entering the US like a K1 visa holder can. This Visa Journey guide page http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn will explain SSNs for both K1s and K3s.

If you are getting a CR1 visa, then you will be able to get the SSN within a few weeks.

Do a timeline and name your visa and you can get better answers.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

You can start applying for jobs without a SSN, you only need that for when you start work.

You seem to indicate that you want to present your papers at the border but not actually enter USA till the next month. I would be wary of doing that.. when you want to reenter (actually enter) USA you will need to show your green card. The green card will be mailed to your wife, should be in two weeks, then she will have to mail it to you, should something go wrong you would be stuck in Canada waiting for it to be resolved. I would suggest that you only go to the border when you are ready to actually move.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi All. I have some questions and I hope some of you can direct me which way I have to go.

1. I am Canadian and wife is American.

2. We married in Canada and then wife sponsored me (spousal visa)

3. I have my interview date shortly

Lets hope everything goes smooth and I should get my Passport with stamp + document.

What we plan to do is

Go to the border and inform them that I am crossing first time to USA as a Immigrant and here is my paperwork

Same day I want to come back to Toronto and do what is needed, for 15 - 30 days, wrap up till i get my SSN Card mailed to wife address in USA...and then start looking for JObs in TEXAS.

Addon to this

If so, great

Thanks.

What part of texas?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You can start applying for jobs without a SSN, you only need that for when you start work.

You seem to indicate that you want to present your papers at the border but not actually enter USA till the next month. I would be wary of doing that.. when you want to reenter (actually enter) USA you will need to show your green card. The green card will be mailed to your wife, should be in two weeks, then she will have to mail it to you, should something go wrong you would be stuck in Canada waiting for it to be resolved. I would suggest that you only go to the border when you are ready to actually move.

not true.... you are given a stamp in your passport that acts as your green card until you get the actual green card.. but this stamp is good for a year...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Texas is very strict on getting a Drivers Licenses. Thanks to all the Illegals Alien who try to submit fake documents.

Another option in the Dallas area if you move here.

The police will not mess with you much if you and Illegal Alien and driving.

They know it's a waste of time to write a ticket, since it will never get paid. Plus Dallas is a Sanctuary city so the cops will not mess with you for being a alien or illegal alien with no DL, Just make sure you have Insurance papers on the car.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
New residents from out-of-country:

* Proof of Identity.

* Proof of Social Security Number. (If you do not have a Social Security Number, you will need to complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) form.)

* Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle.

* Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.

* Pay the required fee.

* Pass the written, driving and vision examinations

* Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...rs_dl_id.htm#q1

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Please note that in the state of texas you need a state issued ID to purchase and/or use alcohol or tobacco. your passport is not acceptable id for those items. if you get stopped or "carded" you _will_ receive a ticket if you don't have some sort of state issued id.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.