Amerikeli_bob

married, living in Tbilisi, must do DCF? or OK to mail to US?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hello! This is my first time posting here. This is a very helpful forum, and I've already found answers to many of my n00b questions. I do have a question which I haven't found the answer to yet.

Background:

I'm a US citizen and have been living in Tbilisi, Georgia for about 11 months. My wife is Georgian, and we got married in Tbilisi 9 months ago. I'm planning to file an I-130 to get a CR-1 visa for her.

AFAIK, I can use DCF. This should allow my paperwork to be processed faster. However, I've read and heard that the Georgian Consulate is a difficult one: they reject visas without real cause and they are slow to process paperwork. Disorganization is pretty widespread here, and I am hoping to have the paperwork processed in the US in order to avoid as many headaches as possible.

Question:

Since I have been in Georgia for almost a year, is DCF my only option for filing? Or can I mail the papers to a USCIS office in the US?

I believe I can prove that I have a residence with family in the US (still checking on this). Should I just consider my stay in Georgia to be a long vacation? I plan on staying in Georgia until my wife and I can both fly to the US.

If anyone has used DCF in Georgia, and it went well, I'd really like to hear about this, too.

Many thanks for any help! And sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can do a US filing as long as you have a mailing address there/ someone who can forward paperwork such as the NOAs for you.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

FYI This doesn't bypass the Consulate. She still goes for the interview there. The CO at the consulate still makes the decision.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
AFAIK, I can use DCF. This should allow my paperwork to be processed faster. However, I've read and heard that the Georgian Consulate is a difficult one: they reject visas without real cause and they are slow to process paperwork. Disorganization is pretty widespread here, and I am hoping to have the paperwork processed in the US in order to avoid as many headaches as possible.

You obviously are not up to speed on the widespread disorganization at the USCIS....

FWIW, you will still deal with the US Consulate in Georgia and they are the final decision makers

YMMV

Timeline

You obviously are not up to speed on the widespread disorganization at the USCIS....

FWIW, you will still deal with the US Consulate in Georgia and they are the final decision makers

Hehe, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the Georgian disorganization and the USCIS disorganization! My money is on Georgia :innocent:

Timeline

Hehe, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the Georgian disorganization and the USCIS disorganization! My money is on Georgia :innocent:

The Georgian consulate is a US facility and not a Georgian... so it is subject to or the result of US led bureaucracy

YMMV

Timeline
The Georgian consulate is a US facility and not a Georgian... so it is subject to or the result of US led bureaucracy

That does make sense. An immigration lawyer expressed a negative opinion about that particular embassy when I called to ask about visa processing. He actually suggested my wife use the embassy in Yerevan instead. :unsure: I could have misunderstood something though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

well, how long does one have to live in georgia to be considered a resident? i guess the DCF thing would then apply there, right? i've read somewhere that if you've lived somewhere for more than 6 months, that's fine in the US's eyes....

as for the embassy in Tblisi...well, even i've heard it's hard going through there just to get a tourist visa etc. I would try to go through Yerevan if you could...or even TR?

Good luck.

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Timeline

That does make sense. An immigration lawyer expressed a negative opinion about that particular embassy when I called to ask about visa processing. He actually suggested my wife use the embassy in Yerevan instead. :unsure: I could have misunderstood something though.

Well then I would reconsider the lawyer as an intended immigrant CANNOT consulate shop. Consulate jurisdiction has already been designated by the state department based on residence. You cannot just use another consulate.

YMMV

Timeline

Well then I would reconsider the lawyer as an intended immigrant CANNOT consulate shop. Consulate jurisdiction has already been designated by the state department based on residence. You cannot just use another consulate.

really? ............but wouldn't that depend on what circumstances you bring up? had a friend who a few years back had the interview for her hubby changed from montreal to ankara because he had moved back to turkey for a few months to care for his elderly parents....

i guess it depends on the circumstances?

Timeline:

TBC....

Timeline

really? ............but wouldn't that depend on what circumstances you bring up? had a friend who a few years back had the interview for her hubby changed from montreal to ankara because he had moved back to turkey for a few months to care for his elderly parents....

i guess it depends on the circumstances?

I guess it depends on your RESIDENCE

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
I guess it depends on your RESIDENCE

doh, that's what i get for posting so early in the AM.

either way, good luck OP

Timeline:

TBC....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
You can do a US filing as long as you have a mailing address there/ someone who can forward paperwork such as the NOAs for you.

Actually, you can use your overseas address. I'm just not sure how reliable the postal service is to Georgia.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.