dragonboy69

Using Skype for phone calls

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was messaging another member and thought I would share this information with others on here that could benefit as well.

"I was having trouble texting my girlfriend with my phone (sometimes they would not go through) and it cost .25 each one so it started to add up, and phone calls were too expensive. I used Skype before to talk with some other friends I had in Thailand, it was pretty cool you could make a phone call through it for free. The free part was limited for computer to computer if you are both using Skype, but then I found out you could pay to make calls and texts to landlines or cell phones. The rate for Thailand is .11 so it was very affordable and the sound quality was pretty good too.

As I used their pay service something popped up about a monthly subscription in Skype. The subscription was only $5.95 a month for unlimited calls.... I was blown away. Then I discovered something even better, that I could use my cell phone to call with this unlimited plan (or landline), you don't have to call through the computer. What they do is provide you with a local Skype number, then you call that and set up contacts to call, when you select your contact it dials through Skype and connects you. So, for $5.95 a month you can call at any time and talk for as long as you want. Sometimes on my cell phone the quality is not as good, but I am sure on a landline it would be better (I always use my cell because I don't have a home phone). I used to call through my work and it was free (I work at a global company so they have unlimited calling anywhere), but I had to sneak the calls, so using my phone is way more convenient.

All you have to do is download Skype from www.skype.com, if your family has a computer you can just use it for free through their Skype to Skype calling (or they can go to internet cafes if they have one) and you can also do video calling. It's definitely cheaper than any calling card, and sometimes those cards have bad reception anyway. It has been a plus for me because now I can document my calls and text to her for the visa interview."

Thanks for your input : )

Rob and Nan

Yeah...I have been using Skype since last November too. THe Skype to Go number and the monthly subscription is so worth it. I call Hong Kong every day multiple times using Skype to Go number, and since I have unlimited minutes on my cell phone I can call Hong Kong for unlimited minutes too with no extra charge (only the monthly subscription fee). It certainly helps in keeping in touch with my dear husband in Hong Kong. Oh, and i pay to get a Skype online number as well with Hong Kong country code with a 50% discount since I have the monthly subscription. I set it up so that the online number forwarded to my cell phone. My husband can call my online number with no extra charge and it rings my cell phone...Anyway, I am so happy with the Skype service.

5de285cd-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok how does this work again.... break it down for me.... :unsure:

I pay at least $25 or more weekly to make calls .. I need a cheaper way.... But i am not near my pc very often, and if I am reading clearly the SO can also call u under the same subscription .?

I have unlimited plan on my cell phone now so that would be excellant..

Does it keep track so u can print copies for the interview?

Thank You soooooo much :D

AMANA/AZZEDDINE

WITH ALLAH ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!! ALHUMDILALLAH

g clearly the SO can also call u under the same subscription .?

Skype-to-go is like a normal local call for you home/cell phone so it uses your normal minutes-- free if you are unlimited.

Yes, it does keep a log of all your calls which you can download and print out.

The 5.95 is for one country for one month. I think all countries on their list is 12.95 a month-- there are about 40 countries and Thailand was a fairly recent addition. Note that for some countries you can only call landlines and not cell phones.

It's nice knowing you can call your Teerak whenever you want and talk as long as you want and it's 5.95 a month ;p

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Ok how does this work again.... break it down for me.... :unsure:

I pay at least $25 or more weekly to make calls .. I need a cheaper way.... But i am not near my pc very often, and if I am reading clearly the SO can also call u under the same subscription .?

Thank You soooooo much :D

AMANA/AZZEDDINE

You can use Skype through your cell phone with thier unlimited calling plan. What it does essentially is gives you a local number to dial, you will set up a speed dial for who you want to talk to, when you select that it forwards the call through Skype. You are using your cell phone or home phone to make calls through Skype, but will only be charged for calling a local number which should be free for you. You can also get a Skype phone number that they can call you which then gets forwarded to your phone.

Here is a link to their site...... http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/subscript...SubscriptionTab

post-65125-1251039831_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input : )

Rob and Nan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yep, this has been working pretty well for my wife, and she uses it often. I used other VoIP services in the past to talk with her when she was over there, but this has been the most reliable and the cheapest thus far. I definitely recommend Skype-To-Go.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I've had an Unlimited Europe subscription for several years. I pay 5.95$ a months for unlimited calls to a bunch of European countries. And I have Skype-to-go as well. Works wonders.

Our Timeline

03/2002 - Met on Yahoo Group.

07/2002 - Met in real life 1st time in NYC

02/2003 - 1st visit to Germany

04/2003 - Visit to Germany

08/2003 - Visit to US (& Trip to Niagara Falls)

09/2003 - 10/2003 - Spent 2 months in Germany

11/2004 - Visit to US

06/2005 - Visit to Germany & Proposal

12/2005 - Visit to US

08/2006 - Visit to Germany

11/2006 - Visit to US

09/2007 - Visit to Germany

12/2007 - Visit to US

06/2008 - Visit to Germany

10/2008 - Visit to US

10/2008 - Began gathering paperwork f/ I-129F

03/2009 - Submitted I-129F

03/13/09 - NOA1

05/2009 - Visit to Germany (& Europe road trip)

06/2009 - 08/2009 - Spent 2 months in US

08/17/09 - NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Yeah, been using Unlimited Country on Skype since it came out which was about June/July/August last year. Well, a year ago in short.

What's great is I have a local number in USA down to his state area code and he adds my number to his 'Friends and Family' call plan which makes it pretty much FREE for him to call me and receive calls on his mobile from my skype aside from the fee of 5.95 a month. How great is that?

So for 5.95, we can talk all we want for as long as we want.

Verizon Friends and Family + Skype Unlimited Country = Talk all you want long distance

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I was messaging another member and thought I would share this information with others on here that could benefit as well.

"I was having trouble texting my girlfriend with my phone (sometimes they would not go through) and it cost .25 each one so it started to add up, and phone calls were too expensive. I used Skype before to talk with some other friends I had in Thailand, it was pretty cool you could make a phone call through it for free. The free part was limited for computer to computer if you are both using Skype, but then I found out you could pay to make calls and texts to landlines or cell phones. The rate for Thailand is .11 so it was very affordable and the sound quality was pretty good too.

As I used their pay service something popped up about a monthly subscription in Skype. The subscription was only $5.95 a month for unlimited calls.... I was blown away. Then I discovered something even better, that I could use my cell phone to call with this unlimited plan (or landline), you don't have to call through the computer. What they do is provide you with a local Skype number, then you call that and set up contacts to call, when you select your contact it dials through Skype and connects you. So, for $5.95 a month you can call at any time and talk for as long as you want. Sometimes on my cell phone the quality is not as good, but I am sure on a landline it would be better (I always use my cell because I don't have a home phone). I used to call through my work and it was free (I work at a global company so they have unlimited calling anywhere), but I had to sneak the calls, so using my phone is way more convenient.

All you have to do is download Skype from www.skype.com, if your family has a computer you can just use it for free through their Skype to Skype calling (or they can go to internet cafes if they have one) and you can also do video calling. It's definitely cheaper than any calling card, and sometimes those cards have bad reception anyway. It has been a plus for me because now I can document my calls and text to her for the visa interview."

I got so excited but then I noticed that it doesnt work for Mexico (except for landlines in 3 cities). Hmmm wonder why?

Roberto y Genny

Merida y Kentucky

Married 11/14/09

Received notice that green card was in production 2/19/10

well there's no monthly unlimited calls for philippines so it's kind of sucky :( we used to purchase credits but then again, he ended up spending way too much for phonecalls so we decided to cut low on that as $10 skype credits is only good for 30 minutes :( and we talk for a few hours so he most of the time, he wont be able to purchase more credits because they have a limit..i think just about $400 worht for the entire month

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Filed: Timeline

The magic jack works great. I got my wife a magic jack and i have one. Magic jack to magic jack is free anywhere in the world

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

This is the very best deal I've come across to date! Check it out! Even free calls to India :dance: which was for me very difficult to find. Now they offer free international calls to 60 countries with their world plan.

Here's the link: http://www.vonage.com/lp/US/searchgooglevo...CFR9N5QodV2X5Kw

You can also have your calls transfered to your cell or any other number if you're not home.

A lot of people here should be able to save tons on their phone bills.

Take care.

Edited by hkgaur

K-1 Visa

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-22

NVC Received : 2008-05-29

NVC Left : 2008-06-05

Consulate Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-16

Interview Date : 2008-08-25

August 25, 2008- Placed on A.P.

December 17, 2008- Petition Returned to USCIS for further review.

February 4, 2009- Received notice the USCIS has received returned petition.

June 4, 2009- Petition Reaffirmed by USCIS.

July 10, 2009- NVC sent Reaffirmed petition back to U.S.Embassy, New Delhi.

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

August 25, 2009 - Embassy received request to extend validity letter.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

October 29, 2009- 2nd Interview date- Visa Approved!

November 4th, 2009- Received Passport with Visa intact!

December 4th, 2009- Fiance arrived in U.S. - MARRIED Dec. 7th!

February 23rd-Mailed AOS Packet

March 3rd, 2010-Check Cashed

March 6th, 2010-Received AOS Receipt Notice

March 29th, 2010-Biometrics

Sept. 14, 2010-GC Interview -Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

This is the very best deal I've come across to date! Check it out! Even free calls to India :dance: which was for me very difficult to find. Now they offer free international calls to 60 countries with their world plan.

Here's the link: http://www.vonage.com/lp/US/searchgooglevo...CFR9N5QodV2X5Kw

You can also have your calls transfered to your cell or any other number if you're not home.

A lot of people here should be able to save tons on their phone bills.

Take care.

I that plan only for calls to landlines? My fiance uses his cell phone to call me and I use my cell phone. He has a plan in the UK through his cell phone company that gives him 2000 minutes for 15 pounds a month. When we talk for hours it is usually on the computer thru Skype. I have a world connect plan thru my cell phone comany that is $4.99/mo but calls to mobile phones is still $.28/min. Was just wondering about the moblie to mobile on Skype to go.

Thanks, Kimberly

10-13-08 - Met on Yahoo

03-03-09 - Mark's first visit to U.S.

05-22-09 - Mark's second visit to U.S.

05-23-09 - ENGAGED!!!!

06-02-09 - Sent 129-F

06-09-10 - NOA1

06-10-09 - Check cashed

06-16-09 - NOA1 hardcopy received

09-17-09 - NOA 2!!!!!

09-22-09 - Case received by NVC...got new NVC case number

09-23-09 - Case sent to London Embassy

09-25-09 - Case delivered to London Embassy

10-09-09 - Packet 3 received to Mark

10-29-09 - Packet 3 posted to embassy

11-27-09 - Mark's medical in London....PASSED!!!!

12-29-09 - Mark's interview at embassy....APPROVED!!!

12-31-09 - Mark gets his visa from the courier

01-19-09 - Mark here in the US for good!!!! POE - Atlanta

03-06-10 - Wedding....YEAH!

04-01-10 - AOS, EAD, AP paperwork filed

04-06-10 - NOA 1 received

05-07-10 - Biometrics in Birmingham, AL

05-15-10 - File transferred to CSC

06-15-10 - Green card production ordered

06-26-10 - Green card received in the mail

04-09-12 - ROC NOA 1

05-11-12 - Biometrics in Birmingham, AL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.