Twisted K

What is the hardest thing you had to give up?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

When you look back over your life's and visa journeys, what was/were the hardest thing(s) you had to give up back home to be with your spouse? How did you cope? I know a lot of people have ventured into this new life by leaving their home country and familiar surroundings to come to a whole new world, so to speak. Some have adjusted well, and have often wondered what they have gotten themselves in to. I know when you are in love, you can allow yourself to do some crazy, much out of the ordinary things.

I think your answers and coping mechanisms will help our fellow sojourners get through the transition...

Disclaimer: If this is in the wrong forum, mods, organizers, etc, please move to the correct :yes:

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look back over your life's and visa journeys, what was/were the hardest thing(s) you had to give up back home to be with your spouse? How did you cope? I know a lot of people have ventured into this new life by leaving their home country and familiar surroundings to come to a whole new world, so to speak. Some have adjusted well, and have often wondered what they have gotten themselves in to. I know when you are in love, you can allow yourself to do some crazy, much out of the ordinary things.

I think your answers and coping mechanisms will help our fellow sojourners get through the transition...

Disclaimer: If this is in the wrong forum, mods, organizers, etc, please move to the correct :yes:

Career wise... I have to give up my work. Before i flew here, i had work offers from other countries. But no regrets.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The hardest things to leave behind was my mom. We have an extremely close relationship, especially after my dad and her parents died shortly after eachother when I was in my teens. She isn't getting any younger and it is hard not to be there to help her out with things.

The second hardest thing to give up was my home. I lived in a house, right on a big lake with lots of land around me and now I am feeling a bit cramped in our townhome in the suburbs.

I love my husband and wouldn't want to have it any other way, being away from him was way too hard. We are working towards getting a new home and next year my mom will come to visit for the first time. :)

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

My family, my lifestyle, my identity......I totally underestimated how much I would miss all three.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The hardest thing to give up? The best job I had ever had - one that earned a good living and one I enjoyed very much working for someone I greatly respected. I have not found the equivalent. It was rather a unique situation and one that would be very hard to replicate in the US. Tied in with that job was my 'independence'. I have gained a lot by joining my life with my husband's, but I am well aware that it is joined and I am no longer an independent woman. There are definitely times I miss that sense of self-sufficiency.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

thank you everyone who posted. i hope it can help others :thumbs:

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
The hardest things to leave behind was my mom. We have an extremely close relationship, especially after my dad and her parents died shortly after eachother when I was in my teens. She isn't getting any younger and it is hard not to be there to help her out with things.

The second hardest thing to give up was my home. I lived in a house, right on a big lake with lots of land around me and now I am feeling a bit cramped in our townhome in the suburbs.

I love my husband and wouldn't want to have it any other way, being away from him was way too hard. We are working towards getting a new home and next year my mom will come to visit for the first time. :)

I don't know if I could've of left my mother. Hopefully she will join you soon.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

I gave up my career (well maybe I can continue my profession here in US someday), I don't do household chores because I always have people to do them for me, Filipino food which for me is the best, my mom, dad and my lil sister who's also my bestfriend. I miss riding tricycles and jeepneys which makes more accessible to go places.

VIEW MY TIMELINE

us-1.jpg

azx3j298m21dj.png

"Marriage is not like a really hot spoonful of rice that you'll just spit out when you got burned."
-Filipino saying

NATURALIZATION
AUGUST 7, 2012 - N-400 Sent

DECEMBER 12, 2012 - Interview (Chicago, IL)

DECEMBER 14, 2012 - Oath Taking (Chicago, IL)

I would say it's financial stability.

However, I had to give up so many more things when I had to come back to my country from the U.S. 4 years ago.

I really didn't give up anything when I came back to the U.S. from my country this time.

I (and my hubby) better off here.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I left my family, most importantly my mom, brother and nephew, they were the hardest to leave, also my grandmother and the family reunions at her house and her awesome food (pechugas de pollo con arroz).

Also my school, I was a year away from graduating from college, i put that on hiatus, and if everything goes as planned i'll be able to finish here in the state next year.

My friends, from school and my all life best friends.

And although i miss all of that being with my husband is worth it, he and his family do everything they can to make me feel like home and although i just have a month here it feels more and more like home you know? people start to know you and they greet you and you feel well received.

Also skype, messenger and facebook help a lot, calling mom almost everyday or she being able to call me whenever she wants, playing mafia wars with my brother and talking with my nephew on messenger about the WWE and all that makes it easier.

Naturalization

01/09/19 Filled online

01/10/19 NOA date/showed under documents online

01/12/19 Showed online Biometrics appointment had been created

01/15/19 Received NOA in the mail

01/15/19 Biometrics appointment showed under documents online

01/18/19 Received Biometrics appointment in the mail

01/29/19 Biometrics Appointment @Dallas

02/08/19 Interview appointment was scheduled 

03/19/19 Interview @ Fort Smith, AR (passed)

07/04/19 Naturalization Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.