Phil80

From TN Status to Green Card

37 posts in this topic

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all - thanks to Phil for the great post! I just wanted to add one correction to the list above, which is with the I-130 form for item #1 I believe you mean "Wife's Birth Certificate". Otherwise I used this as a straight down checklist and it worked perfectly, just got my green card.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've just joined VisaJourney and wanted to thank Phil80 and all others on this thread for pointing out that once married, as a TN-1 Status holder, I should NOT leave the US; otherwise, I might be denied re-entry.

My fiance and I planned on going to City Hall on 10/16/13 for the marriage ceremony and then starting my green card application process. A few days ago, we saw a great deal in late November for our honeymoon and so we booked it. Last night, I looked into the details of the many forms to file. That's how I came to this thread after reading about Form I-485.

So now, we'll be going on our honeymoon before going to City Hall to avoid any issues with USCIS and DHS. I'm bummed that we'll have to wait until the New Year before we can start the green card process, but in the grand scheme of things, better a few month's delay than not being able to re-enter the US to be with my fiance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

• 1 month later...
Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
This has been so helpful in our journey! My husband is Canadian and arrived on a TN1. I am American, and his income is our main source.
I am wondering about form I-864's instructions for counting household members: Where do I count him as 1? Part 5 Item 1? Part 5 Item 3? or Part 5 Item 7?
The instructions say "If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted on Item Number 7. of Part 5.)"
But the instructions also say, "Item Number 7. This question gives you the option of including certain other non-dependent relatives who are living in your residence as part of your household size. Such relatives may include your mother, father, sister, brother or adult children, if they are living in your residence. However, the only reason to include these family members in your household size is if you need to include their income when you calculate your household income for purposes of meeting the income requirement for this form. To be considered, any relative indicated in this category must sign and submit Form I-864A."
My husband, the immigrant, is clearly not one of these people, and moreover, as my spouse, he does not need to fill out I-864A (also according to the instructions). So, is this an error in the instructions to put him in Item Number 7?
Please help me figure out where to put him on this form! It's driving me nuts!

This has been so helpful in our journey! My husband is Canadian and arrived on a TN1. I am American, and his income is our main source.
I am wondering about form I-864's instructions for counting household members: Where do I count him as 1? Part 5 Item 1? Part 5 Item 3? or Part 5 Item 7?
The instructions say "If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted on Item Number 7. of Part 5.)"
But the instructions also say, "Item Number 7. This question gives you the option of including certain other non-dependent relatives who are living in your residence as part of your household size. Such relatives may include your mother, father, sister, brother or adult children, if they are living in your residence. However, the only reason to include these family members in your household size is if you need to include their income when you calculate your household income for purposes of meeting the income requirement for this form. To be considered, any relative indicated in this category must sign and submit Form I-864A."
My husband, the immigrant, is clearly not one of these people, and moreover, as my spouse, he does not need to fill out I-864A (also according to the instructions). So, is this an error in the instructions to put him in Item Number 7?
Please help me figure out where to put him on this form! It's driving me nuts!

PLease start your own thread for help. This thread is years old.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread closed because of its age.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.