easytravel777

POA Atlanta, missing connecting flight on purpose

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The cost of a one-way flight into Atlanta is much cheaper if I buy it for a different city that connects first in Atlanta. Since Atlanta is much different then most airports, I am a little worried.

After immigration, you must rescreen your luggage as you are re-entering the concourse, not the airport. How can I prevent my luggage from being put on the connecting flight?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Of course if your flight from your point of origin to Atlanta is delayed/cancelled they will re route you to your actual stated destination on your PNR which could be via another POE like ORD or PHL and your bags will go on that.

Hidden city tickets are fine if you are ok with taking the gamble nothing will go wrong. 99% of the time it doesn't but when it does????? Good luck, you can not insist that they connect you through ATL.

Why not look at the cost of a return ticket, by playing around with dates you can make substantial savings and not have to worry about landing somewhere other than your intended destination.

Edited by familyguy
lolfs.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You are right, Atlanta is different from most other US airports when it comes to international arrivals in that you must recheck your luggage before being let into the general airport population so to speak whether you are continuing onto a connecting flight or not. But if I remember correctly after you go through customs you either follow the signs to place your baggage on one conveyor belt for connecting flights or a different conveyor belt if you are terminating travel in Atlanta (to be claimed again after you exit the international terminal at the regular baggage claim area). So if that is indeed the case, after exiting customs I would remove the tag on your bag which indicates it should be sent to a connecting flight and put it on the conveyor belt for terminating traffic.

Edited by Eric & Jin

after exiting customs I would remove the tag on your bag which indicates it should be sent to a connecting flight

I'm not sure that's the best course of action. A better method might be to take a Sharpie and scrub out the onward destination info. I'm pretty sure that I can imagine what the reaction of airport security to an untagged item of luggage in the secure area would be... :help:

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Filed: Timeline
after exiting customs I would remove the tag on your bag which indicates it should be sent to a connecting flight

I'm not sure that's the best course of action. A better method might be to take a Sharpie and scrub out the onward destination info. I'm pretty sure that I can imagine what the reaction of airport security to an untagged item of luggage in the secure area would be... :help:

That is my point. Atlanta is different. You must go through security a second time. I will have luggage with a tag for the continuing connecting flight (there is no chance the flight will not stop first in Atlanta) I will also have a boarding pass for the connecting flight. I guess I can make the connecting flight (the one I am not using) for a longer stop over. They should just allow me to then enter the airport from the concourse. I am concerned about my luggage beinf allowed into the airport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I like this idea of flying to another city to save money. I'll have to look into it...

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

That is my point. Atlanta is different. You must go through security a second time. I will have luggage with a tag for the continuing connecting flight (there is no chance the flight will not stop first in Atlanta) I will also have a boarding pass for the connecting flight. I guess I can make the connecting flight (the one I am not using) for a longer stop over. They should just allow me to then enter the airport from the concourse. I am concerned about my luggage beinf allowed into the airport.

I simply don't understand what your concern is----your luggage not being allowed into the airport? Why would that be? i have arrived from uk with a connecting flight in atlanta using frequent flier miles; since the connecting given by the frequent flyer program was inconvenient, i had booked another flight flight out of that airport; I cannot remember the logistics of it, but I took my luggage from the arriving flight and went to catch my other flight without any problems; is not like security is scanning luggages for reconnecting flights. I do remember thinking though, "I have to go through as if my flight is ending in Atlanta," and that's what I did. I've done the same in Dallas and JFK and never had a single problem.

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

I did that in Chicago. Missed my connecting flight to NY, went through customs, grabbed my suitcase and went out. I would`ve had to re-check it, but I just left.

Sometime in 11/2006 --- Met online

09/26/2008 --- Got married

04/03/2009 --- AOS package sent

07/13/2009 --- Interview in Detroit,MI. Approved!!!

07/25/2009 --- GC received! Total: 3 months 12 days from NOA1 to GC mailboxhappy.gif

05/17/2011 --- ROC package sent

05/25/2011 --- NOA1 received

06/27/2011 --- Biometrics

10/17/2011 --- Approved! confetti.gif

10/21/2011 --- Received Permanent GC

The cost of a one-way flight into Atlanta is much cheaper if I buy it for a different city that connects first in Atlanta. Since Atlanta is much different then most airports, I am a little worried.

After immigration, you must rescreen your luggage as you are re-entering the concourse, not the airport. How can I prevent my luggage from being put on the connecting flight?

\\

just bring the largest carry on bag and dont bring any more luggage so that there will be no problem

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.