Pinto Pony

Tipping Etiquette

74 posts in this topic

OK, maybe it's a guy thing, but I don't understand tipping a hair stylist. Most are self-employed, so they should be paid a decent amount per person. I realize the salon gets a percentage, but I would rather pay a dollar or two more for the service than be expected to pay a tip.

BTW, it only takes about 5 minutes to cut my hair anyway, so I think $13 bucks is high enough!

Also, tip buckets at takeout windows? Another excuse for the business owner to cut their pay? Pay the people what they are worth, don't expect me to make sure your employees make a living wage!

I think tips should be a reward, not something needed to make sure the server can pay his rent!

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
I think you should tip a delivery person (like pizza), after all the delivery charge isn't going into their pocket it goes to the restaurant.

True, however the Pizza joint pays the Pizza delivery guy...How many pizzas can you deliver in an hour? At a guess 10 which would mean $50....Im sure Dominos or wherever can give the driver a decent enough hourly wage from that?

I like the idea of tipping in restaurants and bars in the states as the difference in service to here in Ireland is unbelievable in some places....Honestly....I am sometimes embarrassed to take my fiance out in Belfast because of the bad service. Service staff here dont expect to get tips so it doesent matter whether they provide a good service or not.

Im not a big fan of tipping anyone else though!

I was a bartender in Belfast for years and it was usually a real shock to get a tip!

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

I think tips should be a reward, not something needed to make sure the server can pay his rent!

:thumbs:

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
I want to add airline curb-check in. I think they're less common/used since 9/11. The people at the curve are not paid the same as the people inside at the airline counter. I tip $5 when I check in at the curb.

I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for reminding me.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Well, as far as Belfast, we all know the Scots-Irish are stingy :whistle:

But wait staff in the U.S. are paid around $2.50 per hour (the minimum wage for them) and rely on good tips if they are good at serving you. While 15% seems to be an old standard, nowadays it is more like 20%. So that would be eight bucks for a $40 meal, or ten if the service is really good. They are also required to pay income tax on their tips and often must share a part with the folks who clean up tables, etc. If they were all paid minimum wage, you couldn't afford to tip them because your meal cost would skyrocket in no time at all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Do not tip for dry cleaning.

You should ALWAYS tip at restaurants. Often the wait staff have low hourly salaries and often have to share tips with the bussing staff, so the tips are really important.

And its customary to tip for personal services (hair dresser, manicurist, wax, etc.) if you feel that the person did a good job and you are pleased. You can usually pay with credit card and just add the tip when you sign the receipt (like at restaurants), but some places don't give you the option to tip on the receipt. For your first visit, I would bring cash, see how they handle it and if you like their service you know what to do next time. For personal services I don't believe tipping is based on percents. I could be wrong, but I always think of percents (in terms of minimum amount of tips at restaurants) but never for personal services.

take not tht some restaurants add gratuity in the bill and dont need additional tip...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Don't forget to tip your Dish Network or Direct TV tech...a $20 tip is always welcomed!!! When I don't get a tip from a cx I never leave them my phone number for problems or questions...that will teach 'em, see how they like being on the phone talking to someone from India or the Philippines after being on hold for 20 minutes and waiting 3-4 days for me to be dispatched out for the service issue!!!!

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Tipping in the U.S. is a jungle. When in doubt I will usually ask my husband. Here are some of the rules my husband and I follow (we are generous tippers - at least according to him).

Restaurants with table service: Tip 15-20% of the bill, based on the quality of service. If service is horrible 10% (or a penny on the table to show that you didn't forget). Note that gratuity can be included in the tab for parties of 6 or more.

Counter service/fast food restaurants:No need to tip.

Pick up food: No need to tip if it's a drive through, otherwise $2-$3 (most people don't tip this at all).

Buffet Servers: At least $1 per head.

Food delivery: $5.00 minimum.

Bartenders: $1 - $2 per drink, or 15-20% of the total bill as a general rule but it is not quite that easy. If a crowded place where it's hard to get a hold of the bartender - no need to tip or tip change. If on "my" local regular pub the tips are not based on a formula. Usually the amount of drinks on the tab does not reflect the amount of drinks that were consumed. For every free drink I tip 50% of the list price of the drink. In this case the tip HAS TO BE in cash and cash only. If the tab is $30 and the tip is $15 on a credit card it is a potential red flag for management and the bartender might not be there the next day.

Hotel housekeeping: $2-3 per night up to $5, more in high-end hotels. Leave the tip on your pillow each day when you leave the room. If you have additional items delivered to your room, such as extra pillows, tip the person who brings them $2 or $3.

Bellman/porter: $1-2 per bag, minimum $2 even if only one bag.

Taxi Driver: 10-15% with an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.

Valet Parkers: $2 - $5 (when picking up car).

Hairdresser/manicurist: 10% - 20%. $2 to the person doing the shampooing if it's not the hairdresser.

Drycleaning: No need to tip. If you have a personal relationship with them a Christmas gift is appreciated.

Christmas time is an extra addition to the confusion. Around Christmas tip those who serve you all year long and with whom you have a personal relationship. Here are a few examples.

- USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly. (Remember, this is the person who will deliver your green card to you. :innocent: ).

- Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more

- Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more

Btw. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to once again read up on the tipping madness here. After 2 years I am still confused. :blink:

I (the USC) don't tip nearly as much as you suggest. Restaurants the standard is still 15%, and if I linger a long time and they continue service I'll be more generous and give less if they screw up repeatedly.

For food delivery, bartenders, hair stylists, taxi drivers, bellman... I generally tip $2 with more only if they've really gone out of their way (food delivery at a weird location or a huge order, taxi rode me for a long ride, etc). Seriously, these people do get paid a wage, and unlike waitstaff they're paid at least minimum wage. So I don't see any reason to go crazy on tipping unless they dazzle.

Hotel housekeepers shouldn't receive a tip as a standard. If you choose to tip, it should be because they gave extra services at your request (e.g. turn down service) or you (or your children) were pigs and she cleaned up after you.

And sorry, your mail carrier doesn't need a Christmas gift... that's just weird IMO.

The newspaper delivery guy "delivers" my parents' paper on the bit of lawn furthest from the driveway without a bag, so it's usually soaked from the sprinklers. Mother thinks it's because of lack of tip....

I usually tip 10% for services, and some even dollar amount between 15-20% for restaurants - of course dependent on service.

I pay with cash or a card depending on the size of the business - my hairdresser works out of her home (husband built her a special room with the proper sink and everything!) so I always bring cash since she couldn't charge cards anyway. Other places I pay with a card, and bring a $5 or $10 (for options depending on how I liked it afterward) to tip with.

I follow a lot of the same rules Dave and Helena pointed out.

I ignore all tip jars, and maybe a dollar for the receipt for carry out - especially if I felt like the item itself was already reasonably priced.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

Great question and really good answers.

I agree that tipping is madness and this insane American practice alone is worth living abroad again. However, I would also like to fully support the tipping of wait staff in the US until things change, if they ever do. This is what they live on. I will continue to tip all the other people mentioned in the answers here, but they all have salaries of minimum wage or higher. Wait staff don't make enough to pay their taxes because it is assumed they will be tipped. If you have a really awful waiter, and by that, I mean rude or contemptuous, then don't tip, or better yet, tip about 50 cents. That way they will know you didn't forget but you were unhappy with the service. But otherwise, tip at least 15%. Generally, you tip 20% on alcohol, minimum, and 15% on everything else.

I usually tip around 20% on my restaurant bill. I just move the decimal one space to the left and then double and round up. Example: If the bill comes to $25.75, I figure 10% is $2.575, so 20% would be $5.15, so I'd probably round up to $5.50 or $6. If my waiter is particularly efficient and friendly but not too intrusive, I'll probably tip even more. I used to wait tables and I know how hard they work and how little they take home aside from tips.

One other thing. I think that some other tipping practices vary with regions. For example, food delivery would be less in my region, but then cost of living is lower where I come from.

I didn't know about tipping a dish technician. I'm probably going to have one installed soon, so that info will come in handy. I never would have thought of that.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Timeline

I have a real pet hate when it comes to Washroom/bathroom attendants....I somehow managed to wash my own hands and get my own paper towel for many years however for some reason they are in every bathroom of every bar in Dublin now. I have seen them in a few bars in America too.

Do you tip them every time you go to the toilet and what if you are on a pubcrawl? Its getting expensive just to go to the toilet....

K-1 Visa Timeline

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
I have a real pet hate when it comes to Washroom/bathroom attendants....I somehow managed to wash my own hands and get my own paper towel for many years however for some reason they are in every bathroom of every bar in Dublin now. I have seen them in a few bars in America too.

Do you tip them every time you go to the toilet and what if you are on a pubcrawl? Its getting expensive just to go to the toilet....

I think there is one at the Fox Theatre here in Atlanta. Every time we go there I try REALLY hard not to go to the restroom if I know I don't have any change. That is the only one I've seen here though. But maybe that is because I prefer to go to dumps where the drinks are cheaper and I can drink more instead. ;)

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

I am a waitress and I make $2.13 an hour. This means that I do NOT get a paycheck b/c they take our taxes out of that. We really depend on tips...and usually hope for 18-20%

Edited by tomsarah11

I am a waitress and I make $2.13 an hour. This means that I do NOT get a paycheck b/c they take our taxes out of that. We really depend on tips...and usually hope for 18-20%

I'm surprised such a low wage is even legal... I mean, people don't have to give you tips, so you're living off the hope that they give them to you.

That must be tough.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I think there is one at the Fox Theatre here in Atlanta. Every time we go there I try REALLY hard not to go to the restroom if I know I don't have any change. That is the only one I've seen here though. But maybe that is because I prefer to go to dumps where the drinks are cheaper and I can drink more instead. ;)

lol Im exactly the same way...

K-1 Visa Timeline

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

AOS Timeline

Timeline

Im confused... how come you dont get a paycheck?

Whos they? And do they take the whole $2.13 off you??

It doesent make sense to me that someone could get paid that low. Is there a minimum wage in the service industry...

K-1 Visa Timeline

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

AOS Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.