almaty

Organic food is no healthier, study finds

77 posts in this topic

LONDON (Reuters) – Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

The results of research, which was commissioned by the British government's Food Standards Agency, were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Sales of organic food have fallen in some markets, including Britain, as recession has led consumers to cut back on purchases.

The Soil Association said in April that growth in sales of organic products in Britain slowed to just 1.7 percent in 2008, well below the average annual growth rate of 26 percent over the last decade, following a plunge in demand at the end of the year.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if they took in account the pesticides vs no-pesticides (non-organic vs organic)?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thats horesechit.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Wonder if they took in account the pesticides vs no-pesticides (non-organic vs organic)?

Not really- and that is where the real difference lies.

(although some pesticides can be 'considered' organic)

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

To be fair, it doesn't matter if you don't eat the skin of certain fruit or vegetables (like bananas). The real issue is with items like grapes, tomatoes, etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I am wondering about that, too. The point of organic food for me is that they do not contain certain toxins, and I never expected them to contain more nutrients.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I shop at Whole Foods just as much as I shop at the regular grocery. Just depends what I am needing. I was looking at some cauliflower one day at the regular grocery, they had both organic and regular. The organic had little bugs crawling all over it so I happily chose the one that used the pesticides instead.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I wonder who financed the study :whistle:

The real reason for me to buy organic: no pesticides, no GMO (I find that really concerning), not antibiotics, no hormones, no animal-by-product fed animals (concern for milk, eggs, meat - I mean just look at the "success story of mad cow disease" - it spread cause they fed dead cows to cows. yucky).

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Timeline

To be fair, it doesn't matter if you don't eat the skin of certain fruit or vegetables (like bananas). The real issue is with items like grapes, tomatoes, etc.

Fair to the non-organics- as long as the chemicals make it to the edible parts. Unfortunately, many do cross over inside plants as they develop fruits and veggies. Most of these chemicals are aqueous... meaning they enter the plant via its vascular system and thus, what you eat.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hmm....Organic = Molecules that has carbon....aka Organic Chemistry....In-Organice Chemistry = non carbon chains molecules....

Everything that kills through destroying enzymes or cells are pretty much organic....Somehow, somewhere the idea of organic replaces natural...:rofl:

Edited by Niels Bohr

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline
I shop at Whole Foods just as much as I shop at the regular grocery. Just depends what I am needing. I was looking at some cauliflower one day at the regular grocery, they had both organic and regular. The organic had little bugs crawling all over it so I happily chose the one that used the pesticides instead.

Sounds cool.

Besides... who the heck buys at Whole Foods to buy non-organic, GMO foods? For that you may as well go to Aldi.

I personally shop organic and non-organic at a local produce shop. Instead of spending $50 on 3 bags of produce at WF 4 blocks down from this store, I get the same amount for $15.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Actually wild growing plants produce their own naturally occuring pesticides.....otherwise they would not survive in nature. Those naturally occuring pesticides can also be harmful.

Justbecause something is being grown organic does not mean it is not being treated with pesticides. The fruit or vegetable crop would not survive if it were not being treated with something. Usually they are treated with naturally occuring pesticides not synthetic ones. But even naturally occuring pesticides like sulfur based products can cause illnesses in some people.

So just because something says organic doesn't mean it is healthier.

Married: 02/12/2009

Mailed I130 (Chicago Lockbox): 04/23/2009

I130 Received (Chicago Lockbox): 04/26/2009

I130 Received CSC: 04/30/2009

I130 Processed CSC: 04/30/2009

NOA1 Mailed: 04/30/2009

Check Cashed: 05/04/2009

Touch1: 05/05/2009

Touch2: 05/14/2009Touch3: 05/15/2009 Address change online?

Touch4: 05/22/2009Touch5: 05/26/2009 Called to check on address change, change made over the phone?

Touch6: 08/11/2009 Hopefully beginning to be processedTouch7: 08/12/2009

Touch8: 08/20/2009 RFE !! Response 09/01/2009

Touch9: 09/14/2009 Touch10: 09/21/2009

I130 APPROVED!! 09/21/2009

NVC case # assigned: 10/02/2009

BABY GIRL BORN 10/5/2009!!!

AOS bill generated:10/14/2009 Paid 10/15/2009

DS3032 e-mailed and mailed:10/21/2009

I864 mailed:10/22/2009

DS3032 accepted:11/09/2009

Received checklist letter for missing ds230: 11/09/2009

IV bill generated/paid/IV docs overnighted to NVC: 11/10/2009

IV docs received 11/12/2009

AVR:all docs received: 11/19/2009

SIGN IN FAILED!! 11/28/2009 woot woot!!

CASE COMPLETE!! 11/30/2009

Received Interview Letter: 12/02/2009

INTERVIEW: JANUARY 12, 2010

APPROVED!!! : 01/11/2010 interviewed after medical on 11th

POE JFK : 02/11/2010

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
LONDON (Reuters) – Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Organic food *is* ordinary food, only without all the #######.

Besides... who the heck buys at Whole Foods to buy non-organic, GMO foods? For that you may as well go to Aldi.

Sadly, not everything at WF is organic.

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love WF for their smokehouse- they make some awesome BBQ. They also have great pizza- 2 big pieces for 5 bucks. Yum! I go there a lot to pick up something for lunch.

Timeline
Actually wild growing plants produce their own naturally occuring pesticides.....otherwise they would not survive in nature. Those naturally occuring pesticides can also be harmful.

Justbecause something is being grown organic does not mean it is not being treated with pesticides. The fruit or vegetable crop would not survive if it were not being treated with something. Usually they are treated with naturally occuring pesticides not synthetic ones. But even naturally occuring pesticides like sulfur based products can cause illnesses in some people.

So just because something says organic doesn't mean it is healthier.

Darn. :lol:

Which naturally occurring pesticides would those be for them not to be artificially synthesized and used on a crop? I'm super curious now.

I love WF for their smokehouse- they make some awesome BBQ. They also have great pizza- 2 big pieces for 5 bucks. Yum! I go there a lot to pick up something for lunch.

Yeah I'll check that out. In a pickle its a good 'cafeteria.' Yum.