Mohan

Postponing Naturalization (N400) Interview Date

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I got my interview date for Sep 4th, 2009. But, I have an unavoidable circumstances that prevents me from attending the interview on this date. If I ask them to postpone the interview date, does anyone know how long will it take to get a new date?

Would it be just couple of weeks or several months ? If you could share the time line involved postponing the interview date from your personal experience, I would great appreciate it.

Thanks,

<Mohan.

Edited by Mohan

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

I got my interview date for Sep 4th, 2009. But, I have an unavoidable circumstances that prevents me from attending the interview on this date. If I ask them to postpone the interview date, does anyone know how long will it take to get a new date?

Would it be just couple of weeks or several months ? If you could share the time line involved postponing the interview date from your personal experience, I would great appreciate it.

Thanks,

<Mohan.

The interview and the Oath are the two things you do not ever want to postpone. You will be put back into the system and could be a long while before you get another interview date. People suggest doing this only as a last resort when there really is no other option like immediate death in the family outside the country and stuff like that.

Some people have successfully been able to reschedual it in a decent amount of time, while others have waited months to years before they were able to get back in. Remember you are being placed back into the system with everyone else. So you could very well find a long wait till your next interview if it doesn't get lost in the system...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Neither rain nor snow, nor sleet nor dark of night shall keep us from keeping an appointment with the USCIS. They put a noose around our necks, and keeping those appointments was the only way to get rid of it.

It's the only agency I encountered where you cannot mutually agree on an appointment, even the IRS let's you agree on an appointment. USCIS must have used the German Gestapo book of holy hell to set up their procedures.

Filed: Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

My experience was quick and painless. See my signature timeline. Good luck.

N-400

11-07-08 Mailed application to VT

11-20-08 NOA1 from NBC in Missouri

12-06-08 Biometrics

01-24-09 recieve appointment for 3/25 interview

01-25-09 Mailed letter to Hartford requesting new interview date (away on 3/25 at brother's wedding)

02-12-09 Recieve letter from NBC stating they have recieved my request for new interview date

02-21-09 Recieve letter for interview on April 7th. Hartford's got it's act together!

05-08-09 Oath ceremony in New Haven CT

Removal of Conditions

11-28-07 Mailed I-751 to VT

12-12-07 NOA (date-12-07-07)

01-10-08 Biometrics Appt

10-30-08 Approval letter (dated 10-27-08-approved!). Zero touches prior to letter

11-04-08 10-yr card arrives in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

My interview as initially scheduled for Sept, 2008. i resuested to have it rescheduled after 1st Jan, 2009. My rescheduled date was 6th Jan, 2009.

To the OP, if you truly have "unavoidable circumstances" then go ahead and reschedule. If it is simply inconvenient, I would rearrange anything possible to make my scheduled interview.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for all those who replied. I requested it to be postponed from Sep 4th. They gave me a new date of Oct 20th, which wasn't bad at all. Today (Oct 30th), I finally got my Naturalization certificate as well. Hooray! It all went smoothly.

so, postponing the interview is not such a big deal. but this is Miami office, it could be worse in other parts of the country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! Thanks for reporting back as well and letting us know how it worked out.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 3 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for all those who replied. I requested it to be postponed from Sep 4th. They gave me a new date of Oct 20th, which wasn't bad at all. Today (Oct 30th), I finally got my Naturalization certificate as well. Hooray! It all went smoothly.

so, postponing the interview is not such a big deal. but this is Miami office, it could be worse in other parts of the country.

Hi,

I know its a long time since u posted this one but I would like to know, before going for interview and after doing the finger printing, can i go outside united states?

I have a problem, I have to go back to India for marriage and i fear my interview will come during that time. So can i go to india during that time and will there be any problem if i postpone my interview ?

Please help me

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi,

I know its a long time since u posted this one but I would like to know, before going for interview and after doing the finger printing, can i go outside united states?

I have a problem, I have to go back to India for marriage and i fear my interview will come during that time. So can i go to india during that time and will there be any problem if i postpone my interview ?

Please help me

I'll be watching as well. We just filed (N-800 mailed December 8th) as well but are scheduled for vacation at around the six month mark. It's only a week out of the county but the vacation is mostly paid. We're hoping it will over by then, but it not seem that Philly moves all that quickly.

• 3 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi all;

We have filed my case on Jun/04, and my interview is now scheduled for Jan/10 in the San Antonio office. The problem is that we have booked a travel to Florida for Jan/07 to Jan/11, and we've already paid for the flight, hotel, and rental car, all of which are non-refundable!

What do you suggest? Should we reschedule the interview? or is it too risky to do so?

Best,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** over 4 year old thread closed. Please post your own thread about your own case *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.