ForeverAmen

In you can't afford it ... then why?!?!?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sure takes money to marry a foreigner, after I had all of my divorce and debts paid off, saved for three years. Met a lot of women during that time, but nothing of interest, and sure learned about the problems one can have by getting hooked up with the wrong one, no rush. Meeting Connie changed everything and was prepared for the expense, never hesitated after carefully reading the I-864.

But if a couple can't even meet the poverty levels, how in the world are they going to make it? USCIS demands a bundle in addition to all that. And if that person can't even meet the minimal requirements of that I-864, must not have much of anything, so what is keeping that person here?

If they really want to be together, the USC can go there just as well. No matter how you cut the mustard, one party has to leave their families, country, and culture. Wife and I also talk about a midway point, we are looking.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would work three low paying jobs if I had to! If you are so in love then you need to make the sacrifice!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ireland

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-13

Check Cashed: 2009-03-16

Touched : 2009-06-25

Touched : 2009-07-22

RFE: 2009-06-26

RFE Reply(s) : 2009-07-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-07-29

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-08-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-09-11

Packet 4 Received :2009-09-18 - got no letter. Just a phone call.

Interview Date : 2009-09-22

Visa Received : 2009-09-25

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I think there are definite situations where couples, especially younger couples still finishing school, might find themselves in need of a co-sponsor. The knowledge of 3 months or so without 2 incomes can be daunting. Who are we to judge?

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
There we go!

:lol:

That's a catchy lil tune! Who's the tall guy again? I know he's famous and I remember him being in movies, but he's way older in the ones I remember...

Lucky, we should learn that song...I'd so sing it with you ;)

:ot: it looks like the guy that played Herman Munster...

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

There we go!

:lol:

That's a catchy lil tune! Who's the tall guy again? I know he's famous and I remember him being in movies, but he's way older in the ones I remember...

Lucky, we should learn that song...I'd so sing it with you ;)

It is. His name is Fred Gwynne. He was also the judge in "My Cousin Vinny" as well as roles in other movies.

Edited by Dave-n-Oksana

Filed: Timeline

It is. His name is Fred Gwynne. He was also the judge in "My Cousin Vinny" as well as roles in other movies.

Those are the movies I know him from...thanks guys! :thumbs:

Edited by Happy Bunny

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

There are a number of reasons that might lead to someone needing a sponsor. None of which are really anyone else's damn business, however. Nevertheless, someone might need a sponsor if they have been living abroad for some years. Income earned abroad can't be used unless you can prove that it will continue upon return to the US. Most Americans that live abroad and marry quit their jobs abroad and then have to begin the job search upon return home and need a little help from family until they secure work. In some cases the USC is a poor student at the time but would in theory qualify for a good job upon completion of their degree. Some are women sponsoring their husbands and of course women usually earn less than men. Some women might even be stay at home mothers trying to bring their highly educated husband over that would be able to secure a good job and support them. And yes, even poor people sometimes fall in love. Regardless of a person's reason for needing a sponsor it shouldn't concern anyone else. To those that say it should be more difficult for those that need a sponsor to bring a spouse over...Perhaps they should make it more difficult for fat, balding, old men trying to import barely of age girls from high-fraud third world countries that then cause a huge backlog in visa processing while the legitimacy of their marriage is being questioned.

Filed: Other Timeline
There are a number of reasons that might lead to someone needing a sponsor. None of which are really anyone else's damn business, however. Nevertheless, someone might need a sponsor if they have been living abroad for some years. Income earned abroad can't be used unless you can prove that it will continue upon return to the US. Most Americans that live abroad and marry quit their jobs abroad and then have to begin the job search upon return home and need a little help from family until they secure work. In some cases the USC is a poor student at the time but would in theory qualify for a good job upon completion of their degree. Some are women sponsoring their husbands and of course women usually earn less than men. Some women might even be stay at home mothers trying to bring their highly educated husband over that would be able to secure a good job and support them. And yes, even poor people sometimes fall in love. Regardless of a person's reason for needing a sponsor it shouldn't concern anyone else. To those that say it should be more difficult for those that need a sponsor to bring a spouse over...Perhaps they should make it more difficult for fat, balding, old men trying to import barely of age girls from high-fraud third world countries that then cause a huge backlog in visa processing while the legitimacy of their marriage is being questioned.

You were doing really good there until you got inflammatory.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think that needing a cosponsor always equates to not being able to support one's spouse for many of the reasons already given - income earned abroad, recently out of schoool, self-employment, etc. Moreover, if someone agrees to be a cosponsor, then they are on the hook, so what skin is it off the noses of any of us? Are people bothered because they think their tax dollars are going to support immigrants whose spouses required cosponsors? That's the whole point of the cosponsor, no?

Filed: Timeline
I don't think that needing a cosponsor always equates to not being able to support one's spouse for many of the reasons already given - income earned abroad, recently out of schoool, self-employment, etc. Moreover, if someone agrees to be a cosponsor, then they are on the hook, so what skin is it off the noses of any of us? Are people bothered because they think their tax dollars are going to support immigrants whose spouses required cosponsors? That's the whole point of the cosponsor, no?

My take on it is that we're just discussing personal opinion. I don't think anyone here is really upset at what other people do...after all, everyone's personal life is really his/her own business. I think as a concept it's pretty interesting, but in general terms only.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My husband and I were recently approached by an individual asking us to Co-Sponsor their Fiance'? Now ... I know first hand how hard things are financially for many people. But for the life of me, I don't understand why someone would seek someone elses help to immigrate their Fiance' to America if they are having trouble taking care of their ownselves. I am NOT trying to judge ... just simply trying to understand. Any thoughts?

I agree with you!! (for most cases anyway). What really bugs me is when people run out of money just to pay for all the relevant paperwork. I mean... DO YOU RESEARCH people!! You KNOW (roughly) what it all cost if you look into if enough before you start to file, so save that amount plus some more for unforeseen circumstances. It's not rocket science.

I admit I've not started my K1 yet, I'm just researching what I need, and how much it'll be. I'll start the process AFTER I've saved ALL the money for it.

"sigh"

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

My husband and I were recently approached by an individual asking us to Co-Sponsor their Fiance'? Now ... I know first hand how hard things are financially for many people. But for the life of me, I don't understand why someone would seek someone elses help to immigrate their Fiance' to America if they are having trouble taking care of their ownselves. I am NOT trying to judge ... just simply trying to understand. Any thoughts?

but Just because you need a co-sponser doesn't mean you have trouble taking care of yourself. Some people can live on less than the provety level and be taken care of.

If USCIS thought it was a problem..they would've taken the co-sponser option out a long time ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My take on it is that we're just discussing personal opinion. I don't think anyone here is really upset at what other people do...after all, everyone's personal life is really his/her own business. I think as a concept it's pretty interesting, but in general terms only.

I'm not sure that everyone feels that way, otherwise they wouldn't suggest raising the income thresholds, right? I know it was AJ who said that not you. I don't understand why he would think that if he didn't feel that he was somehow personally negatively impacted by the current thresholds.

but Just because you need a co-sponser doesn't mean you have trouble taking care of yourself. Some people can live on less than the provety level and be taken care of.

If USCIS thought it was a problem..they would've taken the co-sponser option out a long time ago.

Just how much fun can you have on $18K-22K/yr?? What about paying the AOS and extra expenses for new immigrant wife? Most want to drive a car and have health insurance. Then kids happen, and they need food and clothes. Living on the poverty line with all this going on? Poverty moves in, and love moves out! :crying:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif