sasaqlain

My Interview Experience, Garden City NY

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi All,

So, I am not sure what the end result is going to be, but maybe you would be able to make something of it.

We reached USCIS building at 7:45 AM and were told to sit in the waiting area after submitting our I-485 at the booth. We were ushedred to the 2nd floor at 8:15AM. There were lots of couples/people there for one case or the other. Our interview was scheduled for 8:30AM but our name was called at around 9:30AM. The middleaged Officer seemed to be an experienced one and asked us to follow him to his office. He asked us to raise our hands and took our oath. Then when we were seated, he asked for ID's. I was expecting questions related to my AOS from B-2 and that too immediately after my arrival. To my surprise, his first question was when was the baby due. The he asked what I did? I told him, I still managed my business back home. He asked my wife about her job and asked us if it was a traditional marriage where families were involved. I told him we were decision makers but yes, families were involved. Asked us about the hospital where the baby was to be born. He was going through the file that was already on his desk while flipping my Passport too. Asked about our previous marriages and divorce decrees.

He asked my wife since it was a spousal petition, he doesn't see our I-130 petition on file. I was a bit surprised and showed him the Approval Notice for I-130. He seemed surprised and took the Notice from me.

He asked me about my hometown and we discussed various cultural things. The only problem that arose was that He didn't seem convinced on the copy of my previous divorce. he wanted to see the original whereas I had submitted a copy with a certified translation. He said, he wont give me a RFE, and keep the file before the supervisor gets his hands on the file. Since the Original divorce document is a requirement, he said I should have it mailed from back home and personally deliver it to the USCIS building. He said, to simply write his name on the envelope and leave it at the front desk when it arrives. What bothers me is that he returned my I-94 and wrote CR6 pending on my passport( WHAT DOES CR6 MEAN?). I asked him if he needed to keep my EAD card or the AP. To which he said, he doesn't need them. His words," when you have your green card, even you won't need the EAD and AP and should just discard them." But he did say that if I don't submit the divorce documents, the case seems deniable. I didn't know it was that big of a deal. In the end he asked me the typical Yes/No questions from the I-485. To which I replied NO to all.

The IO never asked anything about my intentions, my B-2 status or anything. He asked to see pictures and took out a clear picture of us to keep in file. I offered joint statements and Tax documents and other things. he seemed least interested in them but took out one or two papers from some of them for filing. In the end, he said, thats about it, and smiled and saw us out the door.

What I am confused on, is that it didn't seem like an interview. The IO never asked any of the questions that I was expecting and had it been not for the divorce document, it would have been a flawless interview. I tried explaining that what I had submitted was all that was needed, but then gave up, thinking that he probably wants to see the original document that isn't even in english. I have already asked for the documents to be sent to me through fedex.

Atleast the worry is over now. The ball is in their courts. Whatever the outcome.

What do you guys think?

PS: I thank Christerra22, kittykisses73, SeptemberGold, trillium13, miyaki, immi_007, Bobby_Umit, Tuchy, furiousng for your support, help and words of encouragement. VJ made it possible for us this far. My gratitude to you all!

Edited by saspak

IR5 For Parent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is a code that means your I-485 is pending, and if approved you'll be a Conditional Permanent Resident, if you had been married 2 years then it would be IR6

lolfs.gif

Hey! We had a problem with my husband divorce document yesterday in Orlando! She seemed uncertain what to do because they don't look like ours & it worried me a bit, but we got the glorious "card production ordered" email today so it must have turned out ok. I hope yours does too! You may want to have them translated as well so when you send them in, they won't have anything to come back to you for! Our interview was about like yours LOL none of the questions we expected & the IO was so nice & personable, I must say we were pleasantly surprised! We got approved in 139 days! I feel so fortunate!

Let me know how yours comes out!

Best of luck!

Kimberly Troth

Details

Met online Dec 2007

Started talking online (Xbox) 02/15/2008

Came to US to meet 08/29/2008 (return home date was 11/14/2008)

Got engaged 10/05/2008

Got married at sunset on the beach 11/01/2008

7fdc6d7397.png

I-130/765/485

02/27/2009 sent papers Usps to Chicago Lock Box

03/07/2009 received NOAs dated 03/04/09 (130 & 765 show online 485 does not)

03/13/2009 received biometrics appt notice for 03/27/2009

03/27/2009 biometrics appt @3pm (in & out in less than 20 minutes)

04/16/2009 Received pink notice of medical exam needed

04/17/2009 Had medical exam done by Civil Surgeon (have to return on Tuesday 04/21/2009 forResults)

04/24/2009 Papers delivered to Lees Summit (MSC) :o)

05/07/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD card has been ordered & should arrive within 30 days

05/08/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD Approval Notice was sent

05/09/2009 Received EAD card in mail YAAAAAY

05/12/2009 Applied for Social Security Card

05/15/2009 NOA received with I-485 interview date 07/20/2009

020b50f4b0.png

07/20/2009 AOS Interview in Orlando FL

07/21/2009 Email received " Card Production Ordered " YAAAAY 139 days!

07/24/2009 Welcome letter received! & Approval of I-130 also received! Yaaay

08/04/2009 Green Card received! Hoooraaaaay!!

Timeline
Hey! We had a problem with my husband divorce document yesterday in Orlando! She seemed uncertain what to do because they don't look like ours & it worried me a bit, but we got the glorious "card production ordered" email today so it must have turned out ok. I hope yours does too! You may want to have them translated as well so when you send them in, they won't have anything to come back to you for! Our interview was about like yours LOL none of the questions we expected & the IO was so nice & personable, I must say we were pleasantly surprised! We got approved in 139 days! I feel so fortunate!

Let me know how yours comes out!

Best of luck!

Congratulations! I hope, i receive something before i have to submit the original documents. Pray for me.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Saspak bhai salam walequm. See I dnt think him not taking the I-94 & EAD is any problem. Because our IO told us that its a pattern of some offices to take them, some dnt. Now you are fretting over the CR6 thing which is nothign but a good news. Familyguy almost told you the same thing but didnt explain it to you properly. To all who posts here, some guy here is is big tension and we can take some more lenient attitude while explaining stuff. :rolleyes:

'CR6'. which stands for CONDITIONAL. That means as becasue you are married less than two years, you wd get a 2 yrs conditional green card. So thats a good news. Means IO wants to approve you Saspak. :dancing::dancing:

But why he wants the original divorce certificate ?? wdnt it be ok if you mail a notarized photocopy to him ? I guess if his supervisor doesnt give a RFE then theres nothing that can stop the approval.

Try to understand something Saspak, whenever the IO doesnt want to see something , it means he is satisfied with whatever he has......... your proof with the baby is quite a good evidence.Thats why he asked you about the hospital where the baby was to be born.

I dnty understand how can the I-130 application get lost ?? and why is he not aware of the I-130 approval ?

I dnt think there is anything to worry other than a RFE. I think you shd get a email or update online on your I-130 & I-485 within couple days. If it happens then no need to send any more docs. IF not then i guess its good to send a translated , notarised copy of the divorce copy.

You wd be fine ......... keep us updated ...............we are here with you like a family Saspak. Keep trust on the God. :dancing::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by christera22

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Hey saspak! Glad that part is over for you. I know how nerve racking it is for sure. Sounds like all that's really holding you up is your divorce certificate. Sounds like something that's easily taken care of. Hope you receive it quickly. Strange about the I-130, but you had the notice, so this is good. :)

I know what you mean about expecting more questions-we did too. Didn't get any. Our IO didn't take anything from us either (I-94, EAD) , so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that.

If all they're worried about is a proper divorce certificate, and you can provide one, then I think you have no problems at all, just MORE waiting. :wacko: I think if they had wanted to deny you for any other reason, you'd have known it by now. ;)

Will be anxiously awaiting your post that your card production has been ordered! :D

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It sounds like your only hold up now is the divorce documents original. All will be well in the end and you will soon post your CPO. Keep your head up man. Cheers!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just give them what they want and you'll be fine. Dont even worry about it. I know it would have been a lot better if you were approved right there and then instead of getting a "verbal RFE" but im sure you're application will be approved.

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

Well, you`ve had your interview! That`s half a battle! Or 3/4 :))) It`s great that you Can provide your divorce decree, so it`s not something to worry about. Just a little bit more waiting. But once that`s taken care of, you`re done!

I`m sorry you`re having all these obstacles. But you`re almost there! Hang on!

And what could happen is that you can get an online update saying you were approved in a couple of days, even without submitting anything. But I`m glad you`re prepared anyway. Hang on!!!

P.S. Our IO didn`t take my I-94 or EAD either.

Sometime in 11/2006 --- Met online

09/26/2008 --- Got married

04/03/2009 --- AOS package sent

07/13/2009 --- Interview in Detroit,MI. Approved!!!

07/25/2009 --- GC received! Total: 3 months 12 days from NOA1 to GC mailboxhappy.gif

05/17/2011 --- ROC package sent

05/25/2011 --- NOA1 received

06/27/2011 --- Biometrics

10/17/2011 --- Approved! confetti.gif

10/21/2011 --- Received Permanent GC

Timeline

Thank you all! Your words have given me hope :) I was advised never to argue with the IO otherwise I wanted to tell the kind officer that the document he required didn't really matter since it was already accepted by the USCIS and thus I-130 was approved. I dont know why the same document became an issue for the I-485. But, I'll receive the original in 2 days and take it personally to the USCIS office.

One other thing I am wondering. I know there is no way I will be able to get to see the IO when I do go. he asked me to leave the documents in an envelope at the reception. I believe any document that you send becomes the property of USCIS and gets attached to your file. How am I going to get my original Divorce Decree back. What if it gets lost or never reaches the concerned officer. I won't have any proof, if later on they deny they didn't receive it. When I came back home, I went through the file that I had taken to the interview. The IO did keep the copy of the divorce along with its translation in his file. So why take something that you werent even satisfied with. Man this is so confusing :)

Anyways, I am grateful to all you friends for being there for me, whenever I needed help.

May God Bless us all!

Edited by saspak

IR5 For Parent

Timeline
hello saspak,

i think christera22 is obsolutely correct. what ever he says is ture. sure god will help you.just send them whatever they asked for.

good luck.

Thank You justkris. :) Have you decided what course to take on your case?

IR5 For Parent

hello saspak,

i think christera22 is obsolutely correct. what ever he says is ture. sure god will help you.just send them whatever they asked for.

good luck.

Thank You justkris. :) Have you decided what course to take on your case?

How fresh is your divorce? If the latest marriage happened within weeks or months of the divorce, officer may suspect fraud. Additionaly, any overwriting or smudge on the copy (or its translation), if present, may have prompted the officer to suspect forgery.

Once you provide the original, you should not have a problem, at least in theory.

Edited by rrobin

Timeline

Ohh, The divorce was finalized way before I remarried. But I should have been given some sort of indication on my case, subject to verification.

IR5 For Parent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.