Sign in to follow this  
Lucas&Nha

K1 for only 1 month in US?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm new to this forum, but I couldn't find this question posted yet. Sorry if it's been asked before.

My girlfriend and I want to apply for a visa (possibly a K1) for her to come to America in July 2010. We currently have no plans to get married....maybe, maybe not. But it's certain that she will join me for 1 month in the US and we'll return to Vietnam (where we both currently live) afterward.

Should we apply for the K1 since the processing takes so long and we may decide to get married during that processing time?

Are there any repercussions if we apply for the K1 and return from the US after a short time? I'm afraid that the travel visa will be more difficult than the K1 since Vietnam is very strict with handing them out.....but it may be equally difficult to get any visa for a Vietnamese national.

Are any other visas better for this than the K1?

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

I'm new to this forum, but I couldn't find this question posted yet. Sorry if it's been asked before.

My girlfriend and I want to apply for a visa (possibly a K1) for her to come to America in July 2010. We currently have no plans to get married....maybe, maybe not. But it's certain that she will join me for 1 month in the US and we'll return to Vietnam (where we both currently live) afterward.

Should we apply for the K1 since the processing takes so long and we may decide to get married during that processing time?

Are there any repercussions if we apply for the K1 and return from the US after a short time? I'm afraid that the travel visa will be more difficult than the K1 since Vietnam is very strict with handing them out.....but it may be equally difficult to get any visa for a Vietnamese national.

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

The K1 visa is for couples who intend to marry. It is a one entry visa for your fiancee to come to the USA and marry within 90 days. She can't leave again in one month, and return to Vietnam to live. She has to remain in the US and adjust status.

I understand that travel visas are hard to come by, but I don't think applying for a fiancee visa when you have no clear intent to marry is a way around that.

Edited by cdneh

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

If you have no plans of getting married then the k-1 is not an option since you HAVE to get married. You can not stay in the states without getting married. If you are to get married in vietnam you can apply for k3 visa.

Good luck

Love is patient and kind;

it is not jealous or conceited or proud;

love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable;

love does not keep a record of wrongs;

love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth.

Love never gives up; and its faith, hope, and patience never fail.

Love is eternal.

inloveforeveryouandmet.jpg

TimeLine:

02-29-08: Met Online

04-26-08: Told eachother how we felt

10-24-08: Went to America

12-01-09: Engaged

01-17-09: Bought the ring

01-21-09: Back to Holland =[

03-10-09: Petition send

03-16-09: NOA1

08-11-09: NOA2!!!! Finally!!!!

08-20-09: Package 3

09-10-09: Package 3 send to Consulate

09-17-09: Package 4

10-01-09: Medical + Xray

10-13-09: Interview!!!!!! Approved!!!!!!

10-15-09: Visa Arrived!!!!

11-20-09: US Entry

01-30-10: Marriage

02-13-10: Honeymoon to South Carolina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

The K1 will be expensive (the visa app itself is $455, then another $131 or so for the visa itself, not mentioning the cost of the medical as well, can be close to $1000 just by the time of entrance to the states) and is suppose to be used to get married, so if she comes on it and goes back and then you decide to get married and do the visa again, you might have file a waiver. The other thing is that if you are both living in Vietnam once you get near the end of the K1 process you would have to find a co-sponsor in the US, and you would need to show them some kind of documentation of where you will live as your address is currently outside the US. As the K1 is not ment to be used as a visa to get around tourist restrictions, you may or may not find that the consulate would ask you more questions about your intent, as its really not meant to be used for 1 month only.

As for marriage, it depends on where you want to get married really. If you do decide in that time that you want to get married you will have to decide if you want to do so on US soil (K1) or if you want to have one there, at which point if you are both still living there you can do direct consular filing (DCF). If you decide you want to get married, and come in on the K1, if she leaves before you do AOS then you will have to start all over on a new visa type to bring her back.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

So far, you've gotten only answers with partial truth mixed with misinformation. While it's true the K1 visa is for a foreign fiancee with plans to marry in and remain in the USA permanently, there is no penalty for not marrying and nobody forces the visa holder to marry or remain in the USA. They can leave anytime they want. You both must provide a signed letter of intent to marry within 90 days of using the visa however. Never lie to an immigration official or on an immigration filing.

As you continue your research, I think you'll conlude that your Vietnamese fiancee is not going to be coming to the USA for a visit. It's just not likely to happen. Since you both live in Vietnam, when and if you decide to marry, your best bet will be to file for a CR1 spouse visa and do so directly with a Consulate in Vietnam. Do this only when you are both married AND ready to live in the USA on a permanent basis. Your family can meet her by traveling to Vietnam or some other country where she can travel to meet them.

If you choose to take the K1 path only to return to Vietnam for marriage, there is no penalty for doing so. No waiver is required when filing for a spouse immigrant visa, even if there has been a previous K1 visa process or issue. The waiver is for multiple filings of the I-129F, the fiancee visa petition. This can apply to K3 visas for spouse, as well, but the K3 is virtually obsolete as well as always a poor choice when the couple both lives abroad.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Part of the K-1 application includes submitting letters from both of you stating that you are free to marry and intend to get married within the 90 days authorized upon entry. You would first have to submit a petition to USCIS requesting permission for her to apply proving you are a US citizen and including a $455 fee. Once that is approved she would deal with the US Consulate in VietNam. She would apply for a K-1 visa, need to have an immigration medical examination done, obtain additional vaccinations that she may not wish to get (ie, Gardisil), have police security checks done, provide proof of your - not hers, but your - employment, bank statements, income tax returns, etc. to show you make more than 125% of the poverty level and that you are willing to be financially responsible for her for approximately 10 years, and pay the visa fee ($131). She would have to attend an interview where she would be questioned about her intentions to get married, about how well she knows you, and to see if this is a bona fide relationship or a means to enter the US under false pretenses. Lying to immigration officials anywhere along the way is considered misrepresentation and results in a lifetime ban from ever entering the US. K-1 visas are a serious business, and are not meant to be a 'dating' visa.

Since you are both living in Viet Nam, your best bet is to try to obtain a visitor's visa showing all of the ties she has to Viet Nam so that they are reassured she will return. If you are a couple and she is expecting to travel with you and you are resident in Viet Nam, have her also bring proof of your ties to Vietnam - letters from employers, proof of lease, property ownership, etc. It may (or may not) help.

Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

They don't HAVE to get married if they go this route, but they may find if they decide to get married in the states later that they will have to get a waiver for having an approved visa issued, and they will have to go through all the fees and medical all over again, which can be quite costly. That said, I really don't think this is the way to go around getting a tourist visa if its not available. You will find a lot of people here of the same mind, as we are using these to be able to get to and marry the ones we love. My concern for you as well Luke and Nha is how easily you might find someone to sign themselves as a co-sponsor for someone who is suppose to only be making a 1 month trip.

Edit - pushbrk, I did say might. I neglected to include the part of not having to worry if you file for a different type (I'm sorry), but I did say might.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

The K1 is a bad choice for what you want to do.

First, there's no guarantee that she'll get the visa in time for your one month window, though if you follow all the rules it's likely she'll at least get her interview by then.

Second, if you DO decide to get married then you'd still have to apply for her adjustment of status in order to get a green card. If she wants to leave the US before she gets the green card then she'll need Advance Parole to get back into the US. There are also rules about how long a green card holder can remain outside the US without giving up their residency. This just isn't practical unless you intend to spend at least several months in the US before leaving again, and intend to spend the majority of your time in the US until she lifts conditions and gets her citizenship.

Third, the K1 is specifically intended for people who WILL marry within the 90 day window after arriving in the US. You and your fiancee will have to sign a letter stating that is what you intend to do. The K1 is not a "try before you buy" marriage visa, or an alternative to a visitors visa. Though very unlikely, it's possible your misuse of the visa could be discovered, and she could end up banned from the US for life. All it would take is one slip up during the CBP interview at the port of entry, and the whole thing could blow up on you.

If you intend to marry this girl, and want to have the option of coming to the US with her occasionally, then I recommend you marry her in Vietnam when you're ready, and then apply at the consulate for a CR1. Plan on spending a percentage of your time in the US to satisfy the residency requirements. After 3 years she can apply to become a citizen. After that, she can leave whenever she wants, and stay gone as long as she likes.

You are correct about tourist visas - they are very difficult to get in Vietnam, but not impossible. She will need to prove very strong ties to Vietnam. There is NO penalty for trying to get the tourist visa, though, and it's a much shorter process than the K1. It won't hurt to try... :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

The K1 visa is for couples who intend to marry. It is a one entry visa for your fiancee to come to the USA and marry within 90 days. She can't leave again in one month, and return to Vietnam to live. She has to remain in the US and adjust status.

I understand that travel visas are hard to come by, but I don't think applying for a fiancee visa when you have no clear intent to marry is a way around that.

This is absolutely incorrect. The United States does not compel foreign nationals to immigrate, nor does it jail people to prevent them from leaving, nor does it force people to accept green cards they don't want. If you want to have your fiancee come to the United States, get married with your family here, and then leave to go back to Vietnam, the federal government is definately not going to force you to "remain in the US and adjust status." The US does sometimes force people to leave, but it doesn't force people to stay.

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

This is absolutely incorrect. The United States does not compel foreign nationals to immigrate, nor does it jail people to prevent them from leaving, nor does it force people to accept green cards they don't want. If you want to have your fiancee come to the United States, get married with your family here, and then leave to go back to Vietnam, the federal government is definately not going to force you to "remain in the US and adjust status." The US does sometimes force people to leave, but it doesn't force people to stay.

Of course they don't force people to do anything of the sort. But if he wants a K1 visa those are the terms.

Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

Of course they don't force people to do anything of the sort. But if he wants a K1 visa those are the terms.

The terms of the K-1 visa are that you get married within 90 days of your entrance. That's it. If you want to immigrate, it's a different process. If not you go home. There's no law or regulation that demands you get a green card or citizenship.

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

The terms of the K-1 visa are that you get married within 90 days of your entrance. That's it. If you want to immigrate, it's a different process. If not you go home. There's no law or regulation that demands you get a green card or citizenship.

The OP asked if this was the visa for him. The answer would be no. The terms of a K1 are usually you have an intent to marry and remain. He doesn't.

Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

The OP asked if this was the visa for him. The answer would be no. The terms of a K1 are usually you have an intent to marry and remain. He doesn't.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think that this is correct. You do have to have intent to marry, but I do not think that you have to show an intent on staying in the US for any set amount of time.

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

I'm sorry, but I just don't think that this is correct. You do have to have intent to marry, but I do not think that you have to show an intent on staying in the US for any set amount of time.

He wants a visa that will allow her to visit the USA for a month next June. How do you thing a K1 visa applies in his situation?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks.

-Luke and Nha

He wants a visa that will allow her to visit the USA for a month next June. How do you thing a K1 visa applies in his situation?

It would be a poor solution for the expressed need. However, there's still a lot of misinformation being provided here.

The K1 terms are that the marriage take place in the USA within 90 days or the visa holder leaves the USA. They may also marry AND leave. Entering on the K1 visa and leaving a month later with or without having married is not a violation unless during the process of obtaining the visa, a material misrepresentation was made about the couple's intentions. Given their current intentions, the visa could not be obtained without a material misrepresentation. Therefore, unless or until their intentions change significantly, K1 is not a fit.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.