pavoverde

Can we postpone our AOS interview date???

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi! I'm hoping someone out there can help...

My wife is here on a K-3 Visa and we've submitted the AOS and EAD simultaneously back in April, have done the Biometrics, and she rec'd the EA Card a few weeks ago...

The GOOD NEWS is that today we rec'd notification that her interview for her AOS (I-485) application is scheduled for August 11 (on our 2nd anniversary - coincidence???). The BAD NEWS is that we will be in Costa Rica from July 15 to Aug 23...

The bottom of the NOA says she should call the USCIS if "an emergency" prevents her from appearing at the interview.

My question: Is being out of the country is a "good excuse" for requesting an interview postponement? We are very worried about this because if we have to fly back for the interview, it will be very expensive, but we don't want to jeopardize her AOS application (they warn us that if we fail to appear at the interview her application will be denied...). I'm hoping to get some guidance before I call because I want to make my request in a manner that won't mess up her application. I'm probably being overly worrisome, but we've come too far at this point...

Thank you for any light you can shed on this!

Our Timeline

11 Aug 2007 : Married in Costa Rica!

25 Nov 2007 : Received Marriage Cert with incorrect date :-(

03 Jan 2008 : Received additional evidence of Marriage from lawyer in CR; Waiting for official Marriage Cert to be amended

I-130

12 Jan 2008 : I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

11 Feb 2008 : I-130 NOA1

24 Feb 2008 : "touched"

06 May 2008 : "touched"

26 Sep 2008 : I-130 NOA2

I-129F

05 Mar 2008 : I-129F sent to VSC

10 Mar 2008 : I-129F NOA1

28 Mar 2008 : "touched"

26 Sep 2008 : I-129F NOA2

NVC

08 Oct 2008 : Wife rec'd "Packet 3"

25 Nov 2008 : K3 Interview at U.S. Embassy in San Jose, Costa Rica - APPROVED!

26 Nov 2008 : VISA PICKED UP!!!

28 Dec 2008 : ARRIVED IN BOSTON!!!

I-485 (AOS) and I-765 (EAD)

20 Apr 2009 : I-485 & I-765 filed simultaneously

29 Apr 2009 : I-485 NOA

12 May 2009 : I-485 RFE (even though I'd sent all, so I just sent another copy)

22 May 2009 : Biometrics Appointment

29 Jun 2009 : Employment Authorization Card received!

24 Sep 2009 : AOS Interview (we rescheduled from Aug 11 date)

08 Oct 2009 : Greencard Received!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My wife is here on a K-3 Visa and we've submitted the AOS and EAD simultaneously back in April, have done the Biometrics, and she rec'd the EA Card a few weeks ago...

The GOOD NEWS is that today we rec'd notification that her interview for her AOS (I-485) application is scheduled for August 11 (on our 2nd anniversary - coincidence???). The BAD NEWS is that we will be in Costa Rica from July 15 to Aug 23...

The bottom of the NOA says she should call the USCIS if "an emergency" prevents her from appearing at the interview.

My question: Is being out of the country is a "good excuse" for requesting an interview postponement? We are very worried about this because if we have to fly back for the interview, it will be very expensive, but we don't want to jeopardize her AOS application (they warn us that if we fail to appear at the interview her application will be denied...). I'm hoping to get some guidance before I call because I want to make my request in a manner that won't mess up her application. I'm probably being overly worrisome, but we've come too far at this point...

You being on vacation is not an emergancy reason to reschedule your AOS interview. If you try to reschedule you are going to end up in one BIG mess.

Most people who have tried to change the date of the AOS interview have ended up with a denial a few weeks after the original date of the interview for failing to attend.

You should make arrangements to travel back to the US in time for the interview.

Do a search here on VJ and on Google for AOS denials after trying to change the interview date. There are some horific stories out there of peole who thought it would be ok to request a diffrent date.

If it is not a life or death situation that takes you out of the country when you should be having your interview then I would change your vacation plans.

Your wifes immigration status is the most important thing.

You being on vacation is not an emergancy reason to reschedule your AOS interview. If you try to reschedule you are going to end up in one BIG mess.

Most people who have tried to change the date of the AOS interview have ended up with a denial a few weeks after the original date of the interview for failing to attend.

You should make arrangements to travel back to the US in time for the interview.

Do a search here on VJ and on Google for AOS denials after trying to change the interview date. There are some horific stories out there of peole who thought it would be ok to request a diffrent date.

If it is not a life or death situation that takes you out of the country when you should be having your interview then I would change your vacation plans.

Your wifes immigration status is the most important thing.

Concur. This should take precedence in any activities.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Oh boy...

So, VERY early this AM I realized I could go right down to the Boston USCIS office and talk about this via an InfoPass appt., which I did - before getting your posts, of course... :-(

I explained my situation to the woman at the desk, and she gave me a standard looking "Request for Rescheduling" form, which I filled out and attached a letter we'd written (signed by my wife, the applicant), a copy of the NOA, and evidence showing that we had non-refundable airline tickets. She said that was perfect and took the form. I felt great... until I got home and saw your two replies...

I called the USCIS Help(less) line, and after a 25 minute navigation of their menu, finally got a live person. He insists that what I did was correct, and that it should be rescheduled. But, he said, even if it was denied for some reason, I would be given the opportunity to explain why we missed the Aug. 11 interview date, and that being out of country was a valid reason. He said I would NOT have to repay the $900+ fee that goes with the I-485, but it would delay our AOS process...

To be honest, I don't mind delaying at this point as my wife still has 18 months left on her K3, and rec'd her Employment Authorization Card.

Please let me know if I'm missing something... Urghhh...

Our Timeline

03 Jan 2008 : Received additional evidence of Marriage from lawyer in CR; Waiting for official Marriage Cert to be amended

I-130

I-129F

NVC

This is one the Oh boy moments. Generally it is not a good idea to reschedule your interview date, unless as others already stated you have a major issue.

With that said what happened happened. all you have to do now is wait and see. However, you may still receive a denial letter if you don't show up for your initial interview.

Is there a way you can change your plans, and not travel at all ?

I hope I did not confuse you.

Good luck

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The lady at the USCIS office and the guy over the phone said everything is perfect and correct.... What they meant was, yes u did the "rescheduling procedure" correctly. Im just sayin.

I dont think goin out of country for leisure is a valid reason. Yes you might be given a chance to explain why you missed your original appointment but dont you think it would be a lot better if you can avoid the part where you have to explain.

If delay is not an issue to you... Paying a lawyer could be if this turns out to be a big mess (hopefully not).

You dont have to cancel the trip, just cut it short. If u decide to go back for the interview i hope you could still get your original appointment date.

Having said all that, ofcourse its still all up to you.

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

I am applying common sense here. I admit that this might not be a good thing to do when dealing with a government agency that has a paramount decision in one's personal case to make, but I do it anyway.

They are celebrating their second wedding anniversary. They booked their trip and paid for everything already. At this point in time they can't cancel or they lose a fortune. I think that's a valid reason to reschedule. They filled out the appropriate form, played it by the book. I don't think they have to be scared shitless because of it.

Yes, it's unfortunate that these two dates interfere, but it won't be the end of the world and I doubt that that fact alone is reason for a negative decision in their case.

My two cents.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I guess it comes down to what people feel is more important to them. In our case, our AOS was our top priority. NOTHING else was more important. Had there been a true emergent situation, of course that would have to come first. But that would have been truly life or death. I honestly don't understand why someone would put a vacation as a higher priority, but that's just me. To me that may look to the USCIS that you aren't taking the process as seriously as you probably should.

You can vacation at any time in your life. If you know there will be an upcoming interview, don't make plans. The AOS process is short in comparison to the span of your relationship together. That's my opinion. Flame away if you like.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I would tend to agree that there probably isn't anything to worry about if the USCIS lady said everything was done correctly. Yes, Google and this website are filled with Immigration horror stories, but those are always the ones you'll hear about. Who's going to post articles about successfully delaying a USCIS apointment?? This wasn't a last second request to change out of negligence. Besides.. their anniversary trip also provides better evidence that their marriage is real.

Quite honnestly I am often skeptical of some of these horror stories because I doubt they tell the whole story. So far both in our case, and the cases of my friends, I have not seen the USCIS or the Embassy staff act out in any arbitrary ways - even when things didn't exactly go the way I had expected. They could have been more helpful and provided more direction or have been quicker to respond, but in the end it was my fault for not having our paperwork together the way it should have been, and I should have done better than a minimal effort in providing more evidence of our relationship. I must say they've been pretty even handed - even after I responded rather poorly at being sent back for more evidence of relationship for our K1 interview. (yes - after rescheduling)

-David

I am applying common sense here. I admit that this might not be a good thing to do when dealing with a government agency that has a paramount decision in one's personal case to make, but I do it anyway.

They are celebrating their second wedding anniversary. They booked their trip and paid for everything already. At this point in time they can't cancel or they lose a fortune. I think that's a valid reason to reschedule. They filled out the appropriate form, played it by the book. I don't think they have to be scared shitless because of it.

Yes, it's unfortunate that these two dates interfere, but it won't be the end of the world and I doubt that that fact alone is reason for a negative decision in their case.

My two cents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My two cents.

The fact that you missed your AOS interview coz you were on vacation is enough reason for a denial. The last thing you wanna do is a send a wrong signal to immigration that you are not interested with the AOS application. A lot of applicants go to AOS interviews and gets denied just because they didnt have enough documents, what more if you dont go to the interview? USCIS has a lot of applicants waiting in line, if you miss your chance... you might not be able to to get it again. How do we know for sure they're gonna get a chance to explain?! Lets not forget that Greencard/Citizenship is not a right, its a privilege.

Like what trillium said, most applicants prioritize AOS application. A lot of people would kill to be in their position.

People have different common sense, apparently most VJ'ers have the same.

12/29/2007 Got married in the Philippines
03/28/2008 Got 10yr B1/B2 visa
04/12/2008 Arrived in US under B1/B2 visa
08/06/2008 Filed I-539 visa extension
10/23/2008 I-539 approved
02/23/2009 USC wife filed I-130 Chicago Lockbox
02/26/2009 I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02/27/2009 Medical exam I-693
03/01/2009 Negative result on TB skin test
03/04/2009 I-130 received by California Service Center
03/05/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/06/2009 Medical Exam form I-693 released by civil surgeon
03/07/2009 NOA Receipt Notice for I-130
03/14/2009 Mailed I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765 & I-131 thru USPS
03/16/2009 "The Package" delivered to Chicago Lockbox
03/16/2009 I-94 expired after 11 months since arrival
03/25/2009 Check cashed by USCIS
03/26/2009 Received NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131
03/28/2009 Received notice for Biometrics Appointment (April 9)
04/02/2009 Approval Notice for I-130 received
04/09/2009 Biometrics done
05/07/2009 Received Advance Parole Document
05/08/2009 Received Interview Letter
05/09/2009 Received EAD card
05/11/2009 Applied for SSN
05/16/2009 Received SSN
06/23/2009 AOS interview approved
06/27/2009 Welcome Letter received
07/05/2009 Green Card received
06/01/2011 Mailed I-751 Form
06/07/2011 Received NOA for I-751
07/11/2011 Biometrics Done

03/19/2015 Mailed N-400

03/30/2015 NOA Received

04/15/2015 Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2015 Interview

07/22/2015 Oath Ceremony

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Hi pavoverde

I am actually in the exact same condition. Did you have any issues with the rescheduling ? Will really appreciate a quick reply.

Hi droy1981 (and others),

Sorry I neglected to update this forum on what actually happened. Well, I'm happy to report that we had NO problems with our rescheduled interview. We went to Costa Rica as planned, came back, had our interview, and were approved! In fact, the interviewer never even mentioned that we had rescheduled!

The only minor scare during the interview was that the interviewer did not seem to be fully versed in how a K-3 Visa works, and she had to confirm that our leaving the country didn't constitute "abandoning" our case (this would have been true for a K-1, but not for a K-3). After a few minutes in the waiting room - which felt like hours! - she came back out and said we were correct in what we'd told her. I want to emphasize that this hiccup had NOTHING to do with us postponing our interview date, just thought I'd pass the info along as an FYI...

That all being said, I cannot guarantee that a different interviewer would have the same result. But, based on our experience, if you have to postpone for a VERY good reason, I would call or visit the USCIS office first, explain your situation, and write down the name of whomever tells you it is okay to request a rescheduling. Again, I make no claim to knowing how this USCIS system works, and just offer our experience as another point to consider...

Good luck!

Rob

Our Timeline

I-130

I-129F

NVC

• 5 years later...

Hi droy1981 (and others),

Sorry I neglected to update this forum on what actually happened. Well, I'm happy to report that we had NO problems with our rescheduled interview. We went to Costa Rica as planned, came back, had our interview, and were approved! In fact, the interviewer never even mentioned that we had rescheduled!

The only minor scare during the interview was that the interviewer did not seem to be fully versed in how a K-3 Visa works, and she had to confirm that our leaving the country didn't constitute "abandoning" our case (this would have been true for a K-1, but not for a K-3). After a few minutes in the waiting room - which felt like hours! - she came back out and said we were correct in what we'd told her. I want to emphasize that this hiccup had NOTHING to do with us postponing our interview date, just thought I'd pass the info along as an FYI...

That all being said, I cannot guarantee that a different interviewer would have the same result. But, based on our experience, if you have to postpone for a VERY good reason, I would call or visit the USCIS office first, explain your situation, and write down the name of whomever tells you it is okay to request a rescheduling. Again, I make no claim to knowing how this USCIS system works, and just offer our experience as another point to consider...

Good luck!

Rob

Thank you so much for this post...as I was holding my breath. We're in a similar situation (and live in Boston). My husband has a mandatory two week domestic plant trek that his MIT graduate program requires him to complete in January right after the holidays. He'll be traveling from coast to coast and ending in Puerto Rico where I will meet him. We'll be gone 75% of January and will more than likely need to reschedule our interview as well. Fingers crossed that we don't have to, but your situation makes me feel a bit better. Again--thanks for posting this information!

I wrote a full detailed account of our AOS process, timeline, AP use, and interview on my blog. You can read it here.

Read our experience clearing immigration with an expired green card and extension letter here.

F-1 AOS Journey

Spoiler

10/05/15 - Mailed AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-131, I-765, G-325As, G-1145)

10/07/15 - AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/15 - Received four NOA1s via e-mail & text notifications that USCIS received our case. Routed to National Benefits Center for processing

10/15/15 - Checks cashed

10/19/15 - Received four hard copies of NOA1s in the mail

10/23/15 - Received biometrics appointment in the mail. Scheduled for 11/03

10/26/15 - Failed early walk-in attempt for biometrics at Boston location

11/03/15 - Biometrics appointment in Boston

11/10/15 - AOS case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/21/15 - EAD/AP approved

12/24/15 - EAD/AP mailed

12/30/15 - EAD/AP delivered

03/17/16 - Interview scheduled for April 20th

04/20/16 - AOS Inteview - Boston, MA - APPROVED!

04/25/16 - Approval notice received in the mail

04/26/16 - Green card mailed

04/29/16 - Green card delivered

ROC

Spoiler

02/20/18 - Mailed I-751 Package

02/23/18 - I-751 delivered to CSC

02/28/18 - Check cashed

03/02/18 - NOA1 received in the mail

05/12/18 - Notice that previous biometrics will be reused

08/24/18 - Received 18 month extension letter (courtesy copy)

10/22/18 - Received the "revised notice" with the correct 18 month extension letter--on green paper this time.

02/27/19 - Card mailed notification via Case Tracker mobile app

03/01/19 - Both approval letter and new green card delivered

N-400

Spoiler

03/02/19 - Filed N-400 online

03/02/19 - NOA1 via online portal

03/09/19 - Biometrics scheduled

03/12/19 - Biometrics appointment appeared in Documents tab in online USCIS account

03/13/19 - Successful early walk-in for biometrics 

11/13/19 - Interview

Seizetheglobe.com

Timeline

Thank you so much for this post...as I was holding my breath. We're in a similar situation (and live in Boston). My husband has a mandatory two week domestic plant trek that his MIT graduate program requires him to complete in January right after the holidays. He'll be traveling from coast to coast and ending in Puerto Rico where I will meet him. We'll be gone 75% of January and will more than likely need to reschedule our interview as well. Fingers crossed that we don't have to, but your situation makes me feel a bit better. Again--thanks for posting this information!

Hi! Glad my post helped. Wow, that all happened six years ago, but it seems like a lifetime ago! Good luck navigating this oh-so-stressful process! Even when all is done by the book, it just feels so tension-filled, doesn't it? Enjoy your travels! :-)

Our Timeline

I-130

I-129F

NVC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** closing old thread. Feel free to make a new one with updated info or talk more in PM ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.