tulum

no marriage certificate- is this a problem?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
:help: My fiancee has her interview within two weeks and i already sent her all the paerwork i had. We just realized that although i have all my divorce papers, i dont have the marriage certificates. Is this a problem? i mean , its obvious i was married to have divorce papers, but should i scramble to get these before the interview? if its necessary i will do so.....im planning to call the embassy visa division and ask them but does anyone have experience with this? i would hate to had made it this far, only to be turned down for that.

Its not required and they more than likely will not ask for it. Obviously if you have the divorce papers they know you had to get married at some point.

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the input. It was listed as documents needed to bring to the interview, but my logic is if they have the divorce papers, i had to have been married. dont have a clue where the certificate could be. i already called to get certified copies but im running outta time,[ to get the cert., and fed ex it to my girl before her interview ] just in case i'm calling the embassy today. i agree with the statement that they [interviewer] probably wont even ask for it. from what i have read, interview, aside from waiting room time, are only taking up to 10 to 20 minutes. i'll post what i learn to help others. if anyone else has recently gone thru the interview and they asked for it- let me know....thanks again

Timeline

okay, i called the embassy and they said you do NOT need the marriage certificate as long as you have the divorce papers and copies. so glad i called. this morning my fiancee was freaking out, causing me to freak out [ only now can i see the comedy in this ] and i was scrambling to call around and try to find out how to get a certificate from a past marriage, in another state, i dont know how many years ago......now its calm again. thanks for your input and pass this info on to anyone else that may need it. not to just get past the interview................

okay, i called the embassy and they said you do NOT need the marriage certificate as long as you have the divorce papers and copies. so glad i called. this morning my fiancee was freaking out, causing me to freak out [ only now can i see the comedy in this ] and i was scrambling to call around and try to find out how to get a certificate from a past marriage, in another state, i dont know how many years ago......now its calm again. thanks for your input and pass this info on to anyone else that may need it. not to just get past the interview................

Thanks for the follow-up :thumbs:

Glad you took the advise to call the Embassy/Consulate. I know in Vancouver Canada they needed my marriage certificate, and it was stated on my Package 3 to bring it to the interview. It's not however required in Montreal. Very weird. I did ask however at the Consulate why they would require it, if I had the divorce decree, and they said it was to follow name changes. I'm female, so I guess they wanted some show of name changes through marriage. If you're male, this wouldn't apply I guess!

Glad you got that cleared up!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
:help: My fiancee has her interview within two weeks and i already sent her all the paerwork i had. We just realized that although i have all my divorce papers, i dont have the marriage certificates. Is this a problem? i mean , its obvious i was married to have divorce papers, but should i scramble to get these before the interview? if its necessary i will do so.....im planning to call the embassy visa division and ask them but does anyone have experience with this? i would hate to had made it this far, only to be turned down for that.

Consulate specific. Kiev did NOT need my former marriage certificate (I am the US citizen)but they DID need Alla's. Check the consulate "checklist" of items to bring to the interview.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Consulate specific. Kiev did NOT need my former marriage certificate (I am the US citizen)but they DID need Alla's. Check the consulate "checklist" of items to bring to the interview.

Both Consulate specific and more importantly, gender and circumstance specific. A woman who has changed names and whose divorce decrees don't show maiden name or show the track of name changes, often needs to provide previous marriage certificates. They need to show that Mary Smith became Mary Jones by marrying Bill Jones. It's not good enough to show Mary Smith was born but later Mary Jones got divorced.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

yep, it never hurts to call....this visa journey forum is the best thing since sliced bread....having comrades in arms, going thru the same thing to advise and help, is invaluable. at this point we are just waiting to go to the interview, a week from today. after that, my next problem is arranging to go get her. good luck to all on here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.