qap3

What if child born before visa is granted?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Not without entry risks but sure..... baby will be a USC and get a US passport before departure.... baby visa problems are solved

I will keep this in mind. I really hope I don't need to rely on something so chancy though.

USCIS

30-03-2009 NOA1

05-08-2009 I-130 Approved

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Not without entry risks but sure..... baby will be a USC and get a US passport before departure.... baby visa problems are solved

I will keep this in mind. I really hope I don't need to rely on something so chancy though.

Being pregnant is not specifically grounds to deny entry, but CBP may intentionally restrict the length of stay on the I-94 to help ensure that the child will NOT be born in the US, and may deny entry if the pregnancy is late term. Also, because pregnancy is considered to be a medical condition, CBP may require proof that the alien has sufficient medical insurance to cover them in the event they need medical care while in the US.

Note that there's nothing specific on the forms about pregnancy. Unless they ask, I don't think it needs to be declared.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Being pregnant is not specifically grounds to deny entry, but CBP may intentionally restrict the length of stay on the I-94 to help ensure that the child will NOT be born in the US, and may deny entry if the pregnancy is late term. Also, because pregnancy is considered to be a medical condition, CBP may require proof that the alien has sufficient medical insurance to cover them in the event they need medical care while in the US.

Note that there's nothing specific on the forms about pregnancy. Unless they ask, I don't think it needs to be declared.

Canadians do NOT get I-94's.....

YMMV

Timeline

Thanks. When I googled the topic that fact didn't come up, but I wasn't looking specifically for information about Canada. I was looking for general information about entering the US if pregnant.

Timeline

Thanks. When I googled the topic that fact didn't come up, but I wasn't looking specifically for information about Canada. I was looking for general information about entering the US if pregnant.

Yes, but it is an important distinction for the OP

YMMV

Timeline

How so? Can't the CBP still impose a limit on the length of stay for a Canadian, even if it's not spelled out on an I-94?

Timeline

How so? Can't the CBP still impose a limit on the length of stay for a Canadian, even if it's not spelled out on an I-94?

Since the I-94 is the record of when the time is to expire and they don't receive one... how will they do it? Verbally?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They can issue Canadians I-94 and can limit their stay in the US. I have been issued an I-94 and have had my stay limited in the past.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

OK... but until someone accumulates 180 days of overstay there is no ban to re-entry... even if they limited her stay to 2 mos. and she stayed 3 or 4 in order to have the baby before returning....

I am not saying that there is not a risk... just playing devils' advocate here

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is certainly possible that your pregnant wife will not be granted entry into the US.

How far along are you in the visa process and when is your wife due?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
It is certainly possible that your pregnant wife will not be granted entry into the US.

How far along are you in the visa process and when is your wife due?

The I-130 was filed end of March, we still have not got NOA2. She is due the end of November.

USCIS

30-03-2009 NOA1

there was one on here that got their visa expideted coz the wife was gonna give birth soon so she had to ask for a special consideration so she can travel before she reached 7 months; maybe you can call the hotline for that and explain maybe u can get an expedite :)

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Timeline
If a child of a USC is born abroad you must obtain its citizenship by reporting the birth abroad to the US Consulate in the country the child was born. I know first hand on this issue.

My children do not automatically qualify for U.S. citizenship because I did not live in the U.S growing up.

there was one on here that got their visa expideted coz the wife was gonna give birth soon so she had to ask for a special consideration so she can travel before she reached 7 months; maybe you can call the hotline for that and explain maybe u can get an expedite :)

I will give anything a shot. Do you know how they went about this?

USCIS

30-03-2009 NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.