betazed

Treatment from the locals; your experiences

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I find it annoying that I have to justify myself and explain I had to leave a perfectly good job to come to the US to be with the one I love. I also find it annoying to have to explain to US citizens (and I am talking about educated ones here) that the UK and Europe is not some 3rd world country that needs to be escaped from.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
I find it annoying that I have to justify myself and explain I had to leave a perfectly good job to come to the US to be with the one I love. I also find it annoying to have to explain to US citizens (and I am talking about educated ones here) that the UK and Europe is not some 3rd world country that needs to be escaped from.

Try coming from Bermuda. People think that island = underdeveloped. We are an international banking and reinsurance centre. There are no grass huts there! I've also heard "but you speak English so well!" I ususally only get these sorts of reactions when people know I'm Bermudian before the meet me. Normally, they have no idea that I'm not American.

~ Catherine

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

:lol: I am with you on this one.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

:lol: I am with you on this one.

:thumbs:

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, I live in Puerto Rico so I'm hispanic like everyone else and do not stand out. When I talk people do realize I'm not boricua and have all treated me wonderfully and they love the accent and the fact I'm from Brasil.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

It does depend on where you are settling down and where you come from, I think. For my husband, he finds many similarities between his home in Germany and Seattle/Pacific Northwest. He says the people are a bit friendlier here (I don't notice, because when we are in Germany they're very kind to me). Plus he works for a company with several immigrants. One of his bosses is married to a woman from Eastern Europe. For a few years this man tele-commuted until he and his wife could move to the US together.

Over all he's felt very welcomed, I think.

And Gemmie: Yay! Welcome to your new home :)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There have plenty of things throughout my experience in the USA, but I want to mention two really bad that come to mind now (maybe later I will remember more):

1) A man got out of his car to yell at me and when I spoke back he said: "Go back to your country!

Funny, because at the time I was already a USC

2) I often get the question (about my future wife from Russia): so, from which catalog did you order her? The best answer is no answer

And my cousin (a woman) often complains that where she lives people are very intolerant with foreigners.

3) I remembered another: I was in car in Oakland, CA with three other foreigners and my friend (the driver from Switzerland) was waiting for somebody to leave a parking space to park the car there. An impatient woman couldn't stop honking the horn. My friend spoke to her and she said: "it had to be a foreigner."

All is not Rose petals, especially in some big cities.

Most of the people I meet here are very welcoming and friendly. Actually I would say I don't know that I've ever been to any country more welcoming than the US. Interestingly, most people I know have been to Canada during their lives and loved it. Most say that they'd never move to the US if they had been from Canada, and tease my husband about how he should have moved to Canada.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I did not have one single negative experience so far. People are very friendly, very interested about my homecountry and quite few have actually even been there!

A lot of people have German ancestors in the area where I live and the most common comments I'm getting is "I wish I could go there and see it one day" and "what does my last name mean in English?" :lol:

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

I find it annoying that I have to justify myself and explain I had to leave a perfectly good job to come to the US to be with the one I love.

Oh yes, this one is a hard one to deal with! I hate it when Americans point out that coming from Canada, I probably left a good job even by their standards.

Aug 21/04 - Met at ethnic community bbq/field day (Seattle)

Aug 26/04 - First date (Vancouver)

Nov 24-29/04 - Met his mother & her side of family (Philadelphia)

June 15/05 - He moves to Seattle

Aug 19/07 - Our engagement & engagement party (Vancouver)

Aug 23/08 - WEDDING

Nov 23/08 - Petition for I-130 & I-129f

Feb 12/09 - both petitions approved

Feb 20/09 - K3 package received

April 27/09 - Medical exam (Vancouver)

May 28/09 - K3 Interview (Vancouver)

May 29/09 - pick up approved visa!

June 21/09 - POE @ Pac Hwy, arrived to our apt in Seattle

June 22/09 - apply for AOS & EAD

July 6/09 - AOS & EAD received by USCIS, being processed

July 13/09 - Biometrics letter received

Aug 3/09 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 19/09 - AOS interview appointment letter received

Aug 24/09 - EAD received

Aug 8/09 - SSN received

Sept 17/09 - AOS interview - PASSED!!

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
A lot of people have German ancestors in the area where I live and the most common comments I'm getting is "I wish I could go there and see it one day" and "what does my last name mean in English?" :lol:

My husband gets a lot of people that once they hear he is German will say random things to him in German, which turns out to be all they know or can remember. :P But he says he was surprised how many people here took German in school. He didn't know so many people here cared that much to actually attempt to learn it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband gets a lot of people that once they hear he is German will say random things to him in German, which turns out to be all they know or can remember. :P But he says he was surprised how many people here took German in school. He didn't know so many people here cared that much to actually attempt to learn it.

My husband is of German heritage and proud of it. They didn't learn German as kids (except for "Danke" and counting to three) but they love German restaurants and food. Anytime he wants to treat his parents to a nice dinner it will most likely be German food.

Wisconsin and Ohio at least have a lot of German history (don't know about Indiana). Though my husband tells me there is a good German bar in downtown Indianpolis. Go figure he would find it.....

Edited by Dave and Helena

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.