V-G-1

Very Frustrated and annoyed at my friend who cheated

106 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
hi folks..just found out that my friend cheated by not doing K-1, and instead married his fiancee/gf of 2 YEARS while she was here on a Tourist Visa, and now they are happily living together without ever having been caught!!!

He should have gone through K-1 and waited like the REST OF US......

My question is can I do anything to rat him out (I dont care about friendship anymore--we were never really that close anyway)....

It just boils my blood knowing his story and how he got away with it!!!

a higher power will be the one judging them when its their time ..... god will have the last say so in what they did

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
hi folks..just found out that my friend cheated by not doing K-1, and instead married his fiancee/gf of 2 YEARS while she was here on a Tourist Visa, and now they are happily living together without ever having been caught!!!

My question is can I do anything to rat him out (I dont care about friendship anymore--we were never really that close anyway)....

If you'd really like to "rat him out", then send him here and have him sign up on this forum. We'll sort him out! :devil:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Would your conscience be free if you reported him?

Would ALLAH render you a blessing for this act of envy against your brother because you see him happy?

Is ALLAH time our time?

When you say that he cheated because your associate had his girlfriend at the time come to the states on a tourist visa and then they got married, and this to you is an illegal act. Surly I say to you that ALLAH see's all and knows all, and he does not need your hand in this matter. Your time will come my brother when you will have your wife here with you. Atleast you will be able to have a clear conscience when you go through this process. So stay encouraged your time of happiness is knocking at your door and soon you will open it.

إله الخير المغرب بلد جميل! Hasbunallah wa ni'am al-wakil Tawkkalna Alay Allah

Good god, people, we don't have all the details on this. If there was no intention to stay and adjust on entry, these people have not violated immigration law. My first husband and I did this -- we had been dating for six months (and living together in the UK for 4 months), and he came back with me for what was supposed to be a 90-day stay. About two weeks in, we realized we weren't going to be able to hack the time apart while I applied for graduate school in the UK, so we married and began adjustment. We eventually abandoned the AOS to return to the UK where he had been accepted to law school. We did not encounter ANY problems because we honestly did not intend to do this before we entered the US.

There is no magic amount of time you've been dating to ensure success. I know a couple, friends of my family, who had been dating for many years, on and off. She had lived in his home country for a while, and I believe he once was here on a work visa of some variety. He came to visit her one time on the VWP (he did this several times a year), and about 3 weeks in she decided she had had enough and proposed to him. They married and adjusted, even though it meant he had to leave his fairly lucrative job for several months. It worked because he had no intention of staying when he entered. See a pattern?

Seriously, unless you know all the details about this case, just stop it. And even if you do know the facts, and you feel mortally offended, well, bully for you and your righteous indignation. God knows there's enough of it around here.

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

We actually thought about doing the same thing while I was down visiting...and we really just didn't know any better. I just happened to stumble upon this website when I was searching the "being able to work" thing. Then when we started reading, it was overwhelming. I am quite sure a large number of people do it. I have a friend, (who knew the ins and out) but they just happened to get married. She's adjusted status, is working and they are living happily ever after. Does it make me mad, sure it does. But I know we did it the right way. I am certainly not going to lose a friend over it. Let them be. Good luck with your journey.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

If we knew we could have gotten away with doing that to avoid waiting this long to begin our lives together, you can bet your a$$ we would have. We didn't want to risk the ban.

Yes, we are doing it the legal way now...and are stuck in AP at the NVC for God knows how long. If the US didn't make the process so long, frustrating and convoluted, I think most people wouldn't take the risk. But, because it is the way it is, some people take the gamble to be together. I for one, cannot judge them harshly, given the circumstances.

-Blu-(Off my soapbox for now)

Edited by Wyld Blu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would think the USCIS would be interested in this. You could try contacting the USCIS and report what you know. If she is over staying the visiting visa she needs to leave the country. She is here illegally. If she is Canadian, she can be here only on a passport or other ID for short intervals of time. If she over stayed here visa she could be deported or she may incure a serious penalty. Let us know what happens.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is a thought. If she is Canadian she can be here for periods of time without a visa. For some reason I am thinking 6 months at a time, but now a passport may be needed. Still if you believe someone is here illegally it is ok to turn in your concerns to the local authorities or contact the USCIS.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

When adjusting status as an immediate family member of a USC:

The adjustment CANNOT be denied based on entry with the intent to immigrate.

The adjustment CANNOT be denied for overstay.

The adjustment CANNOT be denied for working without authorization.

The adjustment CAN be denied for misrepresentation at the POE.

The adjustment CAN be denied for other inadmissability factors.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think you should let them live their life and pretty much mind your business.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Feel this is a question regarding having some money, a person comes here either on a work, student, or tourist visa, meets the spouse of their dreams, dates for a long time. Well at least a lot longer than getting on the internet to one of these mail order places, makes a weekend visit to see that person, then applies for a K1. Or even gets married after a five minute engagement and applies for a K-3.

This board has another section for people that did that with disastrous results, like she just came here and used me to come here to meet her boyfriend, etc. How do I get out of my I-864, etc.?

Face facts, if your spouse or intended spouse does not have an advanced degree, lot's of cash to go to college here, or owns property, and a full time job, with even dependents to support and get can a tourist visa, at least you do have the option to apply for a visa via the K1/3 route. If it wasn't for that option, you will never bring your intended here. That is the only option you have to legally get a visa to bring that person here.

So rather than being jealous of those that can come here legally, be thankful there are other options open to you.

I feel that K1 is crazy, meet someone once, then have a short 90 days to make that critical decision. While the USCIS may be concerned about fraud, they aren't hurt by it, but you as the sponsoring USC can get creamed in this process. Besides that love thing, also a fact of that person leaving their culture, adopting to ours, leaving everything they have known behind to make a new life here. That takes time, and two years is more like it than just 90 days.

For those waiting for a K3, exactly what are you waiting for? Just a piece of paper called a visa, so why can't they get that visa by other means? The key fact is that person has to be here legally, and a K3 is not the only means to do that. But it is kind of the bottom of the barrel means to bring that loved one here.

I thought about doing it on VWP. I was actually there at the time, so there was no intent to immigrate, it would have been a spare of the moment decision.

It was only out of fear of my mother killing me that we didn't go ahead.

I think its a personal choice and you should look after your application, and your "friend" should be free to persue their far more risky option.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: Timeline

Holy smokes, you guys! :o Talk about the villagers grabbing their torches! :lol:

What a lot of judgment based on entirely no evidence. I sure wouldn't want "friends" like you. Yikes.

Nick, the 90 days is to get married. The "decision" was made at the time of proposal and acceptance.

*walks away shaking head*

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

I am curious if anyone has statistics around using VWP or Tourist visas and adjusting status. There seems to be a general belief on VJ that for those who choose this route, and do so with INTENT at the POE....well, that it is just too difficult and in all likelihood they will be found out and sent packing. I am wondering if anyone has hard facts that prove that this is the real case for the majority of people because it just does not coincide with what I have seen on VJ or with other friends.

I know 2 couples that did just that in this past year (read-entered on B-2 visas with INTENT to bypass the visa process) and have SUCCESSFULLY adjusted status. Both had interviews that lasted less than 5 minutes, and neither one was even asked for information that would prove or deny their intent upon entering the US. (In fact, the night before the interview, one had told me that he wasn't even sure what they would say if ASKED about what their intent was upon entry). But, lets be honest, no one even asked. Their interviews were quicker than many, very easy, and they walked away aproved. (oh, and yes, I had told these couples about VJ and repeatedly suggested that they get involved and learn about the process before filing and before the interview. Both choose not to, and instead to rely 100% on what their lawyer told them to do....and believing that they would be just fine adjusting after entering on a B-2 while using the 30-60-90 day rule. We all know that this is bull...but that is what they were told to do and it worked just fine for them). Now I have to suffer through them (and their mother) telling me how easy immigration is and that they don't understand why so many people whine about the process. :angry:

I know another woman who had come on a tourist visa, overstayed for 3 years, met her fiance and were married. She decided to keep working under the table, without a SS or visa, while applying for AOS. In this case we recommended for her holding off on working until she got her EAD or GC approved....she decided to go against that and to continue to work. Her interview was super easy, lasted less than 5 minutes, and was never once asked a deeper question with regards to her finances. The couple obviously ommitted information about their families' finances, and by doing so never had one question asked.

Does this not make anyone else think that the COs really aren't as good at their job as we would like to believe? I would love to believe that they are wonderful detectives who are able to weed out the fradulent applications from the legit ones...but seriously, that does not seem to happen. It seems to me to prove that the system is completely broken, and that by telling ourselves that the majority of cases are processed correctly seems absolute absurdity. Can anyone give evidence to prove that it is true???

As an aside...I was really upset knowing these three couples personally who went about immigrating in illegal ways and played with the idea of letting someone know about it. In the end...we didn't. I figure that until the system gets fixed it really wouldn't do much. Though sometimes I wonder if by "ratting out" couples that we know who have done this...if it would make USCIS/Embassy/COs look at the facts of how poorly they are doing their job and force them to make some changes. Maybe that is wishful thinking.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.