robmd

K-1...DIY?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm getting ready to start the K-1 process. My fiancee had talked with somebody who just got their K-1. She said it took about 1 year and that they used an immigration attorney. I've noticed a lot of people on this site have had their visa from The Philippines after around 6 months.

Did most of you file for the visa or your own or did you hire an attorney? The girl suggested we use an attorney. Since I have obviously never gone through this before and I hear about problems a lot, I was starting to consider it. Now that I have found this website, I'm gaining some confidence for doing it myself. I can't see how much a local immigration attorney could do other than fill out the forms, and I'm a little skeptical of the websites out there that claim to work the entire visa process. It seems like an easy scam.

I guess I'm just looking for other's opinions or reassurance.

K-1/K-2

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-11-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-11-13

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-26

NVC Received : 2010-03-05

Consulate Received : 2010-03-13

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-02

Interview Date : 2010-05-20

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-06-01

US Entry : 2010-09-08

POE : Detroit

Marriage : 2010-10-23

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 188 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS/EAD

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

Date Filed : 2011-02-23

NOA Date : 2011-03-15

Bio. Appt. : 2011-04-15

EAD Approved : 2011-04-21

EAD Received : 2011-04-23

Interview : 2011-06-08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

You can definitely do it yourself, all you need to do is just take a little time to pay attention to detail. It seems overwhelming at first but once you get into it it's not so bad.

My fiance and I actually wound up filling in the forms about 3 times - we were temporarily engaged about a year ago, but decided we weren't ready just yet, but had filled in the forms twice (first time was a practice run) anyway. We got engaged again, officially, in April, and doing the paperwork all over again was much easier since we knew what to expect. I definitely suggest just going through everything once or twice until you're familiar with it, corresponding with the guides and sample forms you'll find here on VJ, and writing down any questions you have so that you can come back and ask. We're all happy to help you through the process and since most of us have done / are doing it for themselves with no lawyers, we can speak from experience.

Welcome to VJ and best of luck on your journey!

July 2007 - met Jesse at a beach party held by mutual friends in Long Island, NY

May 2008 - J-1 visa expired, had to move back to Australia

July 2008-September 2008 - lived with Jesse for three months in Staten Island, NY

March 2009 - Jesse comes to Australia for 3 weeks

April 2009 - Engaged!

05/20/09 - I-129F petition mailed in

05/22/09 - NOA1!

05/25/09 - touch

09/09/09 - NOA2!

10/01/09 - due to fiance's illness, we are abandoning pursuit of K-1 at this point. Packet 3 received from consulate but won't be returned.

arnie.jpg

Our baby boy, Arnie.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm getting ready to start the K-1 process. My fiancee had talked with somebody who just got their K-1. She said it took about 1 year and that they used an immigration attorney. I've noticed a lot of people on this site have had their visa from The Philippines after around 6 months.

Did most of you file for the visa or your own or did you hire an attorney? The girl suggested we use an attorney. Since I have obviously never gone through this before and I hear about problems a lot, I was starting to consider it. Now that I have found this website, I'm gaining some confidence for doing it myself. I can't see how much a local immigration attorney could do other than fill out the forms, and I'm a little skeptical of the websites out there that claim to work the entire visa process. It seems like an easy scam.

You can do a better job than any attorney, presuming you have at least average intelligence, and you're willing to spend a considerable amount of time learning what to do and what not to do. This is because the outcome is far more important to you than it is to any attorney, so you'll invest more time and effort than any attorney would.

If, after doing some of the basic research, you discover that your case has some particularly difficult problems to overcome, then you might have no choice but to get an attorney.

On the other hand, if you have trouble understanding some of the topics you'll need to learn, or if you simply have little or no time to spend becoming a semi-expert at your small portion of the immigration laws and process, then hire an attorney. You'll still need to dig up all of the information and documents and provide it to the attorney's office, but they'll fill out the forms and file them for you. They're probably going to take a little longer than you would, and they're also more apt to make mistakes than you would had you invested the time to learn because they don't know your personal case as well as you do.

The choice is yours.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

this could be DIY, just fill out the forms in a quiet well lit room and double check before you send it out and you'll be fine!!

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: Timeline

you can do it yourself, you don't need a lawyer unless you have a very complicated situation.

Timeline

Thank you all for your replies. I'm feeling more confident about the process now.

K-1/K-2

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-11-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-11-13

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-26

NVC Received : 2010-03-05

Consulate Received : 2010-03-13

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-02

Interview Date : 2010-05-20

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-06-01

US Entry : 2010-09-08

POE : Detroit

Marriage : 2010-10-23

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 188 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS/EAD

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

Date Filed : 2011-02-23

NOA Date : 2011-03-15

Bio. Appt. : 2011-04-15

EAD Approved : 2011-04-21

EAD Received : 2011-04-23

Interview : 2011-06-08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am using an attorney, but yes they do take a bit longer in sending the paperwork. But, my situation was a little complicated so I just wanted to be safe and make sure I have no problems. I think attorneys can not speed it up or neither can they slow it down once the paperwork is submitted. I did not get my NOA1, but my attorney got it. They were good about calling me about it as soon as they recieved it. I don't think it takes a year, but more like 7 months max. This the reason why people due the K-1 fiance visa as its a shorter waiting period for your loved one to get in the states. If you feel confident in doing yourself than that is the faster way to go.

Edited by Starlight95

Timeline

you can do it on your own and i can assure you, you'll save your money in paying lawyer's fee, etc. we started our journey (visa application) in jan 2009 and got the visa june 11. visa journey guidelines and friends help us a lot. you can ask questions and get answers mostly based on experience on this site. this place is a blessing to all of us here.

good luck and God bless!

Edited by rizamike1

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

we have done the process on our own,just make sure you comply with their requirements to cause no delays or RFE,you dont need to hire an attorney.

October 26, 2009 >AOS package sent thru USPS priority mail (day1)

October 29, 2009 >Item delivered Chicago IL, 60680 (Recieved Date) (day4)

November 3, 2009 >Notice date for I-485, I-131, I-765 (NOA's) (day9)

November 6, 2009 >Recieved in the Mail (day12)

November 6, 2009 >Touched (day12)

November 6, 2009 >Notice date for biometrics letter (day12)

November 26, 2009 >Biometrics letter recieved (Appointment date: Nov.27) (day32)

November 27, 2009 >Biometrics Appointment Done (day33)

November 27, 2009 >Touched :D(day33)

December 16, 2009 >Touched EAD "Card Production Ordered" (day53)

December 16, 2009 >Touched AP (day53)

December 17, 2009 >Touched EAD (day54)

December 17, 2009 >Touched AP (day54)

December 18, 2009 >Touched AP (day55)

December 21, 2009 >Recieved Advanced parole in the mail (day58)

December 21, 2009 >Touched EAD"Card production ordered" (day58)

February 04, 2010 > Interview @ 12:30 pm,done and approved (day103)

February 11, 2010 > Welcome Letter Aarrived

February 16, 2010 > GC Recieved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We did it ourselves using the guides here at VJ and following the advice of the awesome members here. Don't waste your money on an attorney unless there is something outside the norm in your case. Make sure you ask for plenty of help/advice here. Don't be afraid to ask questions before you send in your documents!

Our process took 6 months from Noa1 to visa approval, & he should have his visa in hand Mon or Tues this week.

Good luck! I hope your processes is as fast as it can possibly be.

AoS...EaD...AP Journey

09.28.09 - AoS Packet Sent

09.29.09 - Packet Received

10.05.09 - Noa1 x's 3

10.06.09 - Check Cashed

10.09.09 - 3 Noa Hard Copies Arrive

10.14.09 - Biometrics Letter Arrives

10.21.09 - Case Transferred to CSC

10.26.09 - Transfer Letter Arrives

10.27..09 - Touched & Added to Uscis Site

10.28.09 - Walk-In Biometrics Done & Touched

10.29.09 - Touched

10.30.09 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment

11.02 & 11.03.09 - I485 touched

11.12.09 - EaD & AP Approved

11.16.09 - AP Letter Arrives in Mail

11.21.09 - EaD Card Arrives in Mail

12.09.09 - AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.09.08 - 12.09.09 - Exactly 1 year from K1 first Noa to Aos Approval

Next Step....

Lifting Conditions 9.07.11

x.xThe universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor x.x

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In a normal case an attorney can only fill in forms with information you give them. They can only slow the process as they will not make it the priority that you would.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I am using an attorney, but yes they do take a bit longer in sending the paperwork. But, my situation was a little complicated so I just wanted to be safe and make sure I have no problems. I think attorneys can not speed it up or neither can they slow it down once the paperwork is submitted. I did not get my NOA1, but my attorney got it. They were good about calling me about it as soon as they recieved it. I don't think it takes a year, but more like 7 months max. This the reason why people due the K-1 fiance visa as its a shorter waiting period for your loved one to get in the states. If you feel confident in doing yourself than that is the faster way to go.

Your 7 months is a bit off, this is highly variable based upon the wait for an interview at the consulate. Luckily the PI are pretty quick :)

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
Do it yourself, this way, you are in the drivers seat.

Definitely I agree. Remove the middle man, and talk directly with the government.

I-129F Sent 2/2/2009

NOA1 2/18/2009

Touch 2/23/2009

NOA2 Approval Date 6/18/2009 (at Igor's List #167 when approved)

NOA2 Received 6/26/2009

You can do it yourselves! VJ people have a lot to offer to direct you and your beloved on the process and the details along with it. We'd also encourage you and your fiancee to do the paperwork together and be knowledgeable of the steps associated with the process. It is one way to keep your anxieties associated with the "WAITING GAME" less daunting for both of you. I am speaking of our personal experience that is. By being aware of what lies ahead, there is less frustration.

Which reminds me, THANK YOU TO THE VERY KIND AND GRACIOUS PEOPLE OF VJ. The paperwork isn't as complicated as it presents itself to be. Your direction have been so much helpful.

So DO IT YOURSELVES, robmd!

Life is beautiful!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.