tyriun_j

Another odd question from me

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys...

Its been awhile since I've posted but I have a random question I need some advice on. My fiance is coming to visit for a few months here in the states and I live in an apartment complex. Would it be smart to put her on my lease or not? I know pertaining to the apartment it would but what about our visa? Does the government check that stuff or anything? Shes not looking to stay here but her allowed time ( shes heading back in about 4 months so its not over the 180 day mark, and yes she was cleared at the US/Canada border for all 180 days :D!!! ) I just want to know if I add her to my lease to make her stay with me legit for my complex's sake...is it going to affect our visa at all? Advise please

Pre-USCIS:

07-20-2008: Fell In Love

10/15/2008: Jami and I meet for the first time

1-17-2009: Became Engaged In Nova Scotia

04-01-2009: Visit to Nova Scotia to see Jami

06-29-2009: Jami comes to Arizona to visit

01-08-2010: Married in Fredericton, NB Canada

01-11-2010: Jami allowed back down with me after marriage for 6 months

USCIS JOURNEY:

05-20-2010: I-130 Packet mailed out! ( Finally! )

05-22-2010: Packet received at Lockbox

05-28-2010: NOA1 ($355.00)

07-07-2010: Jami went back to Fredericton, NB :(

10-29-2010: NOA2 ( FINALLY! )

NVC JOURNEY:

11-05-10: Case received at NVC

11-06-10: Called automated machine and got NVC case number

11-08-10: Called and changed Jami's address and added my email to case for corraspondance updates

11-16-10: DS-3032 email generated and emailed to us

11-16-10: AOS fee bill generated and emailed to us

11-18-10: Paid AOS Bill ($88.00)

11-23-10: Mailed completed DS-3032 through Canada Post

12-01-10: NVC Received DS-3032 and updated in System

12-06-10: Mailed AOS packet overnight express

12-16-10: Paid IV Bill ($404.00)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think this would serve as evidence of ongoing relationship that would be useful to present at the interview. Then again, I would check into the rules of VWP. Is someone who comes in on VWP allowed to 'co-lease' an apartment in America? For example, if someone coming in on VWP is forbidden from taking up residence then this would be a no-no.

As far as making her stay "legit for the complex's sake," I see no reason whatsoever why you have to put her on your lease. It's your apartment and you're free to have anyone stay with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey guys...

Its been awhile since I've posted but I have a random question I need some advice on. My fiance is coming to visit for a few months here in the states and I live in an apartment complex. Would it be smart to put her on my lease or not? I know pertaining to the apartment it would but what about our visa? Does the government check that stuff or anything? Shes not looking to stay here but her allowed time ( shes heading back in about 4 months so its not over the 180 day mark, and yes she was cleared at the US/Canada border for all 180 days :D!!! ) I just want to know if I add her to my lease to make her stay with me legit for my complex's sake...is it going to affect our visa at all? Advise please

Provided you have other evidence of relationship, NO, it will make no difference. As you can imagine, 99.9% of fiancees manage to obtain their visas without being listed on an apartment lease. How DO they do it???? It will not be a bad thing to have for the AOS (another misconception is that your wife MUST be on your lease or mortgage for the AOS..not true)

If you want to add her to the lease and present it at the interview, I do not think it will hurt.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
I think this would serve as evidence of ongoing relationship that would be useful to present at the interview. Then again, I would check into the rules of VWP. Is someone who comes in on VWP allowed to 'co-lease' an apartment in America? For example, if someone coming in on VWP is forbidden from taking up residence then this would be a no-no.

As far as making her stay "legit for the complex's sake," I see no reason whatsoever why you have to put her on your lease. It's your apartment and you're free to have anyone stay with you.

It is not a problem. I have neighbors that are Canadian citizens, work in Canada and have a home in the USA. It is considered their 2nd home and they register their vehicles in Quebec. They all have a valid address in Canada. There is no restriction against a foriegn national owning property or renting an paartment as long as it is not their "permanent residence" Many Canadians own weekend homes here on the lake, it is a popular place for people from Montreal to "escape" on the weekends.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, that depends on his lease. I know a lot of apartments in NYC and Long Island have restrictions on the lease that state you can only have visitors for x amount of time (usually a couple of weeks) and/or you need to let the landlord know if you're having anyone stay longer... or you're just flat out not allowed to have guests for a lengthy stay - for the record I do believe this is mostly the case with "private" landlords, ie someone who rents out their basements or ground levels, since every second person in NY seems to lease part of their property out legally or otherwise. When I lived with Jesse for three months, the landlord was OK with a verbal agreement that I would be staying there for the 3 months but definitely leaving afterwards (ie not moving in permanently), however he did ask that we pay an extra $100/month during those three months. We thought that was fair and I volunteered to pay the extra since I wasn't paying any other living expenses during that time.

If your landlord doesn't require her name on the lease, I don't think I'd do it. That's more based on gut instinct than anything factual though.

July 2007 - met Jesse at a beach party held by mutual friends in Long Island, NY

May 2008 - J-1 visa expired, had to move back to Australia

July 2008-September 2008 - lived with Jesse for three months in Staten Island, NY

March 2009 - Jesse comes to Australia for 3 weeks

April 2009 - Engaged!

05/20/09 - I-129F petition mailed in

05/22/09 - NOA1!

05/25/09 - touch

09/09/09 - NOA2!

10/01/09 - due to fiance's illness, we are abandoning pursuit of K-1 at this point. Packet 3 received from consulate but won't be returned.

arnie.jpg

Our baby boy, Arnie.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
You must bring with you at the time of interview sufficient evidence that you have a legitimate relationship with the person who has petitioned for you, such as photographs, letters, detailed phone records from telephone

companies (phone cards not acceptable), e-mails, old household registries and/or any other evidence that demonstrates your relationship with the petitioner over time.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/k_i...ckage_may09.pdf

I mentioned using the lease as evidence due to this passage above from Bangkok embassy's Packet 3. As Gary stated, I wouldn't be using it as a primary piece of evidence, but it certainly could be included.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Gary is correct. I know many Canadians and Bermudians who own vacation homes in the US. Putting her on your lease would not be breaking any rules.

Heck, Phil added me to his bank accounts and we got our marriage license while just on a visit. Those things didn't affect my visa application at all.

~ Catherine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Gary is correct.
Perhaps, but unless Gary is an attorney (shudder!), it is irresponsible and imaginably foolhardy to rely on such all-encompassing advice without first consulting with an immigration attorney, and with a real estate attorney in the OP's state. Adding a foreigner (or anyone!) to a lease incurs potential or actual liabilities, all of which should be investigated and understood before proceeding. The questions for the attorneys would be quick, and perhaps they could be answered for no charge, but they NEED to be asked before any commitments with legal implications are made. I am very perturbed by the posts in this thread that suggest otherwise.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Gary is correct.
Perhaps, but unless Gary is an attorney (shudder!), it is irresponsible and imaginably foolhardy to rely on such all-encompassing advice without first consulting with an immigration attorney, and with a real estate attorney in the OP's state. Adding a foreigner (or anyone!) to a lease incurs potential or actual liabilities, all of which should be investigated and understood before proceeding. The questions for the attorneys would be quick, and perhaps they could be answered for no charge, but they NEED to be asked before any commitments with legal implications are made. I am very perturbed by the posts in this thread that suggest otherwise.

Heck NO, I am not an attorney!

My comments strictly relate to the visa process and the general fact that there is no federal law prohibiting a foreign person from owning or renting property. Most K-1s are issued to people without a lease in the USA, so it is certainly not a requirement and of no assistance to the vast majority of K-1 applicants. As part of the body of evidence of relationship, I do not see how it would hurt anything. Personally I wouldn't do it until married, that is just me.

As far as any civil liabilities, that is not an area I commented on or was asked about. No doubt there are liabilities for being added to a lease, and private propery owners can basically make their own rules about this. If the OP or his fiancee is uneasy about that, yes, consult an attorney. This is an area where an attorney can be useful.

Gary And Alla

Hey guys...

That's great news! :D So, tell us how her experience stacked up against our expectations/recommendations?

Can you explain in more detail why you think you need to add her to your lease? Since she's just visiting, and she may never actually be a resident there (maybe you move before/just after marriage?), and I assume she won't be paying rent there, why does she need to be on the lease? Is it required that all adults staying there for a certain length need to have their names on it? If it's an emotional desire to start seeing your names next to each other on official papers (which I understand....*hides papers filled with practiced married-Heather signatures*), probably best to wait until after your names appear next to each other on the marriage cert. :)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Regarding K1, it won't matter either way (especially at a Canadian embassy, not a high fraud place :)). You also don't have to have both parties on the lease for AOS, we didn't since my mom owned the apartment where we were living when he first moved here and there was no lease involved at all.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

At my complex, the water bill for each building is split between all residents of the building. We're supposed to let them know if we have guests for more than a week; possibly they would change the # of people splitting the water bill. I've never had extended guests, though, so I don't know for sure.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey guys...

I dont think it would hurt; better yet it would help to make your case for the fiance visa even stronger. I was informed that they like to see co-mingling of assets to show you are in a genuine relationship.

JNR

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey guys...

That's great news! :D So, tell us how her experience stacked up against our expectations/recommendations?

Can you explain in more detail why you think you need to add her to your lease? Since she's just visiting, and she may never actually be a resident there (maybe you move before/just after marriage?), and I assume she won't be paying rent there, why does she need to be on the lease? Is it required that all adults staying there for a certain length need to have their names on it? If it's an emotional desire to start seeing your names next to each other on official papers (which I understand....*hides papers filled with practiced married-Heather signatures*), probably best to wait until after your names appear next to each other on the marriage cert. :)

My main reason for wanting to add her to the lease was so I dont get in trouble with my complex. Im not in any real rush to have shared names on bills and such. SHe wants to be on the lease so I dont get in any trouble but she also wants to be sure she wont get in any trouble with our VISA, but from the sounds of it we should be okay :) I do plan to ask a lawyer too but Im glad this is good news :)

Thanks everyone for the input

P.S. Most apartment complexes require you to have anyone living with you on your lease unless you want to break the law and get evicted. My complex will let people say there for up to 3 weeks without being on the lease.

Pre-USCIS:

07-20-2008: Fell In Love

10/15/2008: Jami and I meet for the first time

1-17-2009: Became Engaged In Nova Scotia

04-01-2009: Visit to Nova Scotia to see Jami

06-29-2009: Jami comes to Arizona to visit

01-08-2010: Married in Fredericton, NB Canada

01-11-2010: Jami allowed back down with me after marriage for 6 months

USCIS JOURNEY:

05-20-2010: I-130 Packet mailed out! ( Finally! )

05-22-2010: Packet received at Lockbox

05-28-2010: NOA1 ($355.00)

07-07-2010: Jami went back to Fredericton, NB :(

10-29-2010: NOA2 ( FINALLY! )

NVC JOURNEY:

11-05-10: Case received at NVC

11-06-10: Called automated machine and got NVC case number

11-08-10: Called and changed Jami's address and added my email to case for corraspondance updates

11-16-10: DS-3032 email generated and emailed to us

11-16-10: AOS fee bill generated and emailed to us

11-18-10: Paid AOS Bill ($88.00)

11-23-10: Mailed completed DS-3032 through Canada Post

12-01-10: NVC Received DS-3032 and updated in System

12-06-10: Mailed AOS packet overnight express

12-16-10: Paid IV Bill ($404.00)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.