josh383

I think I have to cancel my k1 petition, HELP!

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I was told that she was going to be denied by an attorney who turned up in a google search on the subject, he said it would be denied without a question...the only way to avoid it would be to withdraw and refile using the coporate name of the company who owns the bar...I have since consulted several other attorneys who have told me it will not be immediatley denied, I am planning on retaining her (the attorney) services, which to me seems prudent at this juncture...and she only worked there for 3 mnths until we met (outside of the bar), and no she never collected any bar fines...if that seems a bit defensive, I guess it is, and that's because I love her with my whole heart. 1 more thing, the first lawyer wanted $2800, the one I decided to go with, who has just helped a couple in a similar situation as my own, only requires $1000...

Bar fines don't have anyting do with a NBI record Bar Fines is an old term used by the bar it's slef. The girls work in the bar as dancers for FREE but when a John wish to take them out of the bar then the bar would fine her money, part of the cost of service. So have her get a NBI Cert. 1st.

She received her NBI 2 days ago...no problems...

If her NBI record is clear, don't bother hiring this attorney as likely SHE is wrong about your 'certain outcome of denial.'

If you do get denied, then fork over the dough. But her clear NBI clearance carries the most weight, unless she goes to the interview and says "I was a prostitute." Or you put "prostitute" under the job description on your K-1 application. Make sure you go over with her what she will say if asked about that particular job, but don't get too worked up at this point.

Personally, I remember how easy it is to worry, but try not to! Good luck, and hang on for the interview. :thumbs:

I think USC has already said on the G325 where she worked so they'll know that she was working in such a place AND they likely won't believe she was "just a server" because of course even the hookers would say this too. She worked close to the action so eyebrows will be raised - just a fact of life.

Also, NBI really means nothing in this case, because in the RP, although hooking is illegal, they don't arrest anyone for it so the NBI will be clean even for the hookers unless they are otherwise criminals.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

dont withdraw ur petition ...

as long as u hide nothing and its the truth so just leave it take its place ..

refiling wont get u any more imporvement in situation , cz u have nothing to add otherwise u gave false statements and yes thats not good

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I was told that she was going to be denied by an attorney who turned up in a google search on the subject, he said it would be denied without a question...the only way to avoid it would be to withdraw and refile using the coporate name of the company who owns the bar...I have since consulted several other attorneys who have told me it will not be immediatley denied, I am planning on retaining her (the attorney) services, which to me seems prudent at this juncture...and she only worked there for 3 mnths until we met (outside of the bar), and no she never collected any bar fines...if that seems a bit defensive, I guess it is, and that's because I love her with my whole heart. 1 more thing, the first lawyer wanted $2800, the one I decided to go with, who has just helped a couple in a similar situation as my own, only requires $1000...

Bar fines don't have anyting do with a NBI record Bar Fines is an old term used by the bar it's slef. The girls work in the bar as dancers for FREE but when a John wish to take them out of the bar then the bar would fine her money, part of the cost of service. So have her get a NBI Cert. 1st.

She received her NBI 2 days ago...no problems...

If she's got no problems with her records, why then are you worried? Since you are trying to convince us she is a good person then am sure she can do a good job at her interview. Retaining a lawyer in my opinion wouldn't do much good no matter how much they charge. With a clean record, she can argue the fact that she was only a hostess at the bar. All the best.

sometimes fair and honest ppl have to deal with unfair decisions. Justice of people has never been the Justice. I also do believe that unfair decision has a "meant to be".

he is not trying to convice us that she is a good person, he is trying to avoid to deal with jugemdentlist posts.

fair enough.

As a matter of fact, he believes in her and i guess it's the best she could receive now. it's her ace.

Marriage: 01-26-2032

homesick: 01-30-2032

Divorce: 10-13-2032

you will stay married for 290 days.

I would strongly disagree this 'will cause her K-1 visa to be denied.' It would be a bigger issue with the government in PI, but she will be dealing with the US government. I think the attorney the OP spoke to was alarmist in the extreme.

Pulling the petition now will not remove it from USCIS records, future filings will be cross checked with this one. Likely there will be no problem unless he does cancel the petition and subsequently files a new petition with different 'facts.' Extremely bad advice from this attorney.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

I just found out last night that my fiancee's visa will be denied because she used to work at a go go bar, I have been informed that if I withdraw the current petition, I can file a new one that will reflect on the situation better. We don't need judgement, just advice. We are both good people, she did what she had to in order to feed her baby after the father beat her nearly to death and left them in the street. I don't know what to do now, there is so much at stake here.

If that's her background, there is a possibility that she fits a certain profile for visa fraud, she might be using you to get to the US.

BTW, who informed you? Is this info from someone you know?

Edited by rheanick

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Josh383,

1. tell your fiance do the interview, she'll only need to mention/elaborate on her 3-month br work IF she's asked about it, otherwise she'll be fine, no need to offer the info/background about it.

2. you don't need an attorney at this point in the process because your application is in its last stage, -the interview. wait for the real outcome before you worry

3. relax and pray that your fiance is asked mininal questions (questions that usually arise depend on the completeness, thoroughness of the docs you submitted. if they're more than enough, the questions will be few and relatively easy)

it's normal to worry/panic but you shouldn't have googled because of course that attorney is going to say it would be denied to scare you so you will get his services. unfortunately, that attorney's advice of refiling is totally wrong, because your 129-f (meaning every and all information about her and you are already with USCIS) so any significant changes will be noticed and you will be asked to explain the new/different entries.

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

I just found out last night that my fiancee's visa will be denied because she used to work at a go go bar, I have been informed that if I withdraw the current petition, I can file a new one that will reflect on the situation better. We don't need judgement, just advice. We are both good people, she did what she had to in order to feed her baby after the father beat her nearly to death and left them in the street. I don't know what to do now, there is so much at stake here.

If that's her background, there is a possibility that she fits a certain profile for visa fraud, she might be using you to get to the US.

BTW, who informed you? Is this info from someone you know?

Background is not always an indicator of future behavior. I know of two sisters. One worked the bar and bar-fined out. The other was a counter girl and virgin (I knew the bar owner). Both got married to Americans. The bar-girl is still happily married and has a family. The "Good Girl" has been divorced more then once for cheating on her husbands. And, has lost custody of her kids from more then one marriage. May not be typical,, but, this story is true.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That is not true! There are strippers who get approved and even worse.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Timeline
and from here: http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/waiver.html

GENERAL GROUNDS FOR INADMISSIBILITY

Grounds for inadmissibility can be brought against undocumented individuals, non-citizens seeking re-entry, and non-citizens seeking a green card. Legal Permanent Residents attempting to apply for naturalization will likely have difficulty if they are found inadmissible because of criminal grounds. Criminal grounds include those that can be generally classified into the following categories:

1. A single crime deemed morally reprehensible.

2. Any controlled substance law violation.

3. Two or more convictions with combined prison sentences of five years or more.

4. Suspicion of being involved in the trafficking of illegal drugs.

5. Having engaged in an illegal occupation such as prostitution.

6. Habitual users of drugs

I have a question and this will kinda be off topic but now I am curious. In Germany prostitution is legal. So if a German girl worked as a prostitute, can her visa be denied even though it is a legal occupation there?

I'm only asking because of what you posted regarding # 5

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Timeline
and from here: http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/waiver.html

GENERAL GROUNDS FOR INADMISSIBILITY

Grounds for inadmissibility can be brought against undocumented individuals, non-citizens seeking re-entry, and non-citizens seeking a green card. Legal Permanent Residents attempting to apply for naturalization will likely have difficulty if they are found inadmissible because of criminal grounds. Criminal grounds include those that can be generally classified into the following categories:

1. A single crime deemed morally reprehensible.

2. Any controlled substance law violation.

3. Two or more convictions with combined prison sentences of five years or more.

4. Suspicion of being involved in the trafficking of illegal drugs.

5. Having engaged in an illegal occupation such as prostitution.

6. Habitual users of drugs

:wow:

From that same link:

In practice, this means that if the applicant has a work history that includes employment at a hostess bar or other establishment that engages in prostitution it may be determined that the applicant was involved in prostitution and the decision to exclude or not exclude the applicant is at the discretion of the consular officer. Even if an applicant for a fiancé visa does not admit to prostitution it is possible for the consular officer to make that conclusion independently based on the applicant having indirectly received the proceeds from prostitution or simply because the consular officer suspects that was the case. Either way, the applicant could be rendered inadmissible.

A new petition won't change anything, and changing information (lying) on a new petition is sure to spell big trouble.

:thumbs:

"if the applicant has a work history that includes employment at a hostess bar or other establishment that engages in prostitution it may be determined that the applicant was involved in prostitution"

But who in the hell does USCIS think they are in making that determination? How can they get away with *assuming* someone was involved in prostitution. What if that person was not? That is the problem with people who have too much discretionary authority. It's BS.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Timeline
Working in agogobar doesnt entail that your fiancee is a prostitute. Evenso, it's hard to tell that a woman was engaged in prostitution unless otherwise she was charged or arrested. And even if she had an arrest record, but had proven otherwise in a court proceedings, then, I guess, there is no way her petition will be denied.

I believe, a mere hearsay of prostitution will not impact to her visa denial. Goodluck.

Who informed you? Find out if its a legitimate information.

Like I was saying. If they even smell anything prostitution like going on, get ready for trouble. COs do not need convictions to deny. By that logic they could say at the interview, "I was a prostitute, but I never got caught." Do you think the SO would get the visa? I doubt it.

The Consulates in Manila and Bangkok especially keep their eye out for these sort of things. If the girl show's up for the interview in tight jeans and high heels, forget it. The CO will make up some proof of relationship excuse or whatever. Or maybe they'll just put the SO in some kind of long term AP. No telling. Best practice is to avoid even going down that road.

Then she should show up at that interview in a Mary Poppins dress. I know i would. Man, this is just crazy to me. How very sad.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

Removal of Conditions:

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I don't know what to do now, there is so much at stake here.

Sounds like you'll want to have a Plan B in mind also.....like you living in the Phils, just in case she can't get out.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks to everyone who has been responding, I really do appreciate it...now to answer a couple questions that were posed back to me: the attorney who had told me that my wife to be would be denied flat out, I have found to be unreliable and of poor review by his previous clients..I believe that he was trying to take advantage of me as he could sense the desperation I was probably oozing thru the phone...the female attorney that I have chosen (although not yet entered into contract with) has a proven record regarding k1's from the phils, which was made available to me, as well as being a member in perfect standing with the BBB, her normal fee for the k1 is 1800 from the outset, she came down to 1000 since we are already into the process. We never thought of trying to hide the fact that she was a dancer, as that information is well documented in the local government there, and I just assumed that when the FBI does a background check, they probably do a fairly thorough job...I'm pretty sure that I will retain the lawyer, I would just rather be safe than the sorriest that I could ever imagine being, the penalty for denial on the grounds of prostitution (if they make that assumption) would result in a 10 year ban from the states (worse case scenario), and moving to the Philippines, which we plan on doing eventually, is'nt realistic now because of one of the other lights in life, my lil boy here in MI...unless someone thinks that they can convince his mom to let him?... :jest: thanx again to everbody...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Thanks to everyone who has been responding, I really do appreciate it...now to answer a couple questions that were posed back to me: the attorney who had told me that my wife to be would be denied flat out, I have found to be unreliable and of poor review by his previous clients..I believe that he was trying to take advantage of me as he could sense the desperation I was probably oozing thru the phone...the female attorney that I have chosen (although not yet entered into contract with) has a proven record regarding k1's from the phils, which was made available to me, as well as being a member in perfect standing with the BBB, her normal fee for the k1 is 1800 from the outset, she came down to 1000 since we are already into the process. We never thought of trying to hide the fact that she was a dancer, as that information is well documented in the local government there, and I just assumed that when the FBI does a background check, they probably do a fairly thorough job...I'm pretty sure that I will retain the lawyer, I would just rather be safe than the sorriest that I could ever imagine being, the penalty for denial on the grounds of prostitution (if they make that assumption) would result in a 10 year ban from the states (worse case scenario), and moving to the Philippines, which we plan on doing eventually, is'nt realistic now because of one of the other lights in life, my lil boy here in MI...unless someone thinks that they can convince his mom to let him?... :jest: thanx again to everbody...

Is the attorney in PI? If not, exactly what can she do at this point for $1000? That isn't enough to cover her travel there and she can't go to the interview. Just curious, how does she propose to "help" at this point?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Is the attorney in PI? If not, exactly what can she do at this point for $1000? That isn't enough to cover her travel there and she can't go to the interview. Just curious, how does she propose to "help" at this point?

You're getting slow Gary. This post was almost 2 hours ago.

;)

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.