sam808

Fly with expired visa and I-94

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, I need your help regarding flying with an expired visa and I-94. My husband and I have been married 2 months before my visa and I-94 expired. Now my visa and I-94 are expired and we haven't filed for a change of status yet and it's been few months after our wedding and the expiration of my visa and I-94. I don't have a driver's license and and SSN either. Now we are considering to fly in California soon. Would I be allowed to fly or not? I am also wondering if the marriage license will work or not. Thanks guys.

Technically you need a government issued photo ID. Ie drivers license or your passport. I would make the flight reservations in your maiden name so they match what is in your passport. I don't know if anyone at the airport would check the passport and make an issue of the fact that you don't have a current visa or not. So I guess technically yes, you can, but I would want some sort of evidence that I was here legally with me (especially going to CA).

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just flying within the US you should be fine with a valid passport. The ticket does have to match the name on your ID.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Hey guys, I need your help regarding flying with an expired visa and I-94. My husband and I have been married 2 months before my visa and I-94 expired. Now my visa and I-94 are expired and we haven't filed for a change of status yet and it's been few months after our wedding and the expiration of my visa and I-94. I don't have a driver's license and and SSN either. Now we are considering to fly in California soon. Would I be allowed to fly or not? I am also wondering if the marriage license will work or not. Thanks guys.

You are "out of status" and subject to problems with ICE. Only the NOA of the AOS would put your status in "pending".

The wedding license will not help you with ICE.

You shouldn't have any problems travelling within the US, however, there is one case on this forum where someone in a similar position as you was nabbed by ICE.

I would suggest to file for the AOS, get the NOA, then you won't have any problems.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No problem flying any State in US, as long as you have your passport with you , just get ticket with your name used in your passport or bring your State ID if you have one with your married name, so you can get airline ticket with your married name. I have been flying to other states with my passport which has expired I-94 and expired K1 visa since my adjustment of status is still on process. To play safe bring your marriage liscense along with your passport.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

While the visa may not affect flying within the states, it's highly recommended to file your AOS now.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes. No problem. Yoru visa is not expired. It was cancelled when you arrived. The I-94 replaced it. You cannot travel outside the USA and return without an AP or Green card. For domestic flights inside the USA your passport (with ot without I-94) will be fine. Use your name exactly as in the passport to book your tickets

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

You are fine as long bring all the time your marriage certificate and license every time you travel within US. I have been out of status for more than a year now, and we will just waited for our 2nd anniversary so no need for me to go conditional. I am traveling a lot like Vegas, Ohio, Texas etc...i never encounter problems at the airport. Just make sure that your your name is match on the ticket, and also before i forgot..just avoid traveling near the border area like mexico.

Your fine to travel just within US only. GoodLuck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
just avoid traveling near the border area like mexico.
This is the operative statement of concern. Remember that if you are stopped at ANY inland Customs & Border Protection checkpoint, you can end up in trouble, up to and including detainment and deportation. As others have recommended, file for your AOS immediately.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

I was travelling once within the US and they checked if my I-94 was valid. It was at Washington DC airport flying to Vermont. I don't know if it would have been a problem with expired visa. Are you sure guys that is enough the marriage certificate? She doesn't have US ID and if they check they may think she is overstaying and create problems.

AC

Hi,

I was travelling once within the US and they checked if my I-94 was valid. It was at Washington DC airport flying to Vermont. I don't know if it would have been a problem with expired visa. Are you sure guys that is enough the marriage certificate? She doesn't have US ID and if they check they may think she is overstaying and create problems.

I wouldn't count on the marriage certificate to get pass ICE - at least easily.

All it would prove is that you married an USC, but your still out of status according to the I-94.

Not to scare anyone - but still recommend - file for the AOS asap - get that NOA. That puts you in a better legal position.

And peace of mind, imo.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just flew with an expired visa and I-94 to washington to visit my sister, you just have to present your passport and your marriage certificate.. shouldn't be a problem.

Also the ticket is in my married name eventhough my passport is still on my maiden name, that's why you need to present your marriage certificate.

Hope this helps, just talking with experience here..

Edited by ccndyeth

snxcq70j3.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I just flew with an expired visa and I-94 to washington to visit my sister, you just have to present your passport and your marriage certificate.. shouldn't be a problem.
(Did you read the THREE posts just above yours?) The reality remains that we can do pretty much anything that we want to, as long as we're willing to accept the potential consequences. The OP and others in the same status need to decide whether they could live with the worst possible consequence of their actions.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
(Did you read the THREE posts just above yours?) The reality remains that we can do pretty much anything that we want to, as long as we're willing to accept the potential consequences. The OP and others in the same status need to decide whether they could live with the worst possible consequence of their actions.

Of course I did! did you read my post?? I wrote Im talking with experience. duh??

snxcq70j3.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.