amysaid

What do you wish you'd brought?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband's interview is at the end of June... I think I have compiled enough information for him to take with him to the interview, just thought I'd ask:

What did you wish you HAD taken to the interview at the embassy, but didn't? Or what were you glad that you took, because it really came in handy?

Thanks!

Amy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My husband's interview is at the end of June... I think I have compiled enough information for him to take with him to the interview, just thought I'd ask:

What did you wish you HAD taken to the interview at the embassy, but didn't? Or what were you glad that you took, because it really came in handy?

Thanks!

Amy

I took everything that indicated a legitimate relationship I could lay my hands on. Of all I took, I needed only needed four photos. I do not rgret bringing everything else or carrying it home

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

My husband took EVERYTHING with him. In addition to originals and copies of our paperwork, my hubby insisted on including a copy of every e-mail we ever exchanged. At the interview the CO was mostly interested in our e-mails. Something like 4 of the 5 questions during the interview were randomly selected from our e-mails.

I don't really think you can ever bring too much. Our thinking was to have everything available in case they ask to avoid a denial or second interview. But if you bring a lot of stuff, make sure it is organized and easy to find.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

His interview took 5 minutes and he nearly had to FORCE them to look at the photos, copies of my boarding passes, etc. that he brought. They were more interested in asking questions... which again, only took 5 minutes so that was about 4 questions...

I don't think the bulk of their "investigation" takes place in the interview UNLESS they see a big red flag or feel there is a "chink" in the armour that they can widen by asking more and more questions... The first thing the asked was if he wanted to do the interview in English or Arabic... he said, since I want to be 100% certain I understand the questions, I'll do it in Arabic. They said "BUT YOUR FIANCEE SAYS YOU SPEAK EXCELLENT ENGLISH!!!!" (Guess it was a trick question...) They pretty much said if you don't do it in English we'll assume she's a liar and consider this a fraudulent case.... (without actually saying it this way)...

So he said, "Fine I'll do it in English"... And he did, and he did it FLAWLESSLY and they had a 180 degree change of attitude... 5 minutes later he was out the door with the "approval" (which basically means they didn't find anything YET and will move to AP where they still hope to find SOMETHING that they can pin on the case to delay it further... UGH! )... 40 days of AP later, we rec'd the Visa...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

i pretty much took everything! well, the officer who gathered all my documents made a comment about the employment letter of my fiance (petitioner) not having a date to state when it was written. it didn't pose any issues though... but just a precaution, just put dates on everything! heh :)

good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Be sure that you bring yourself to the interview, or at least be nearby on the consular premises.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Be sure that you bring yourself to the interview, or at least be nearby on the consular premises.

agreed!! can't stress this enough!!!

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Gary & Alla! I just have to say, I love that VJ avatar pic you guys have! That smile on Alla is the best on the whole site! I just want to confirm, your answer to this new post implies that I, the USA petitioner, should be in Manila for her interview, even though I will not be allowed to enter the Embassy at all? I had originally planned to go to the interview, but after reading so many threads that indicate that I wont even be recognized as being there, I decided to use my flight after the interview, when the Visa is delivered and in her hand a week or two later, to carry her to the US with me. That way, I wont waste the flight if the interview goes badly (God forbid). I dont have the money to go twice, and I cant leave my engineering business (sole proprietorship) for two weeks or more. You strongly encourage this? I have read many of your comments and respect you two greatly. How will the consular officer know I am there during her interview, if I have to stay out and never see him (the consulate) anyway?

Gen, Ryle and I land in Detroit 2009-08-16

Home in Orlando! 2009-08-16

wedding last OCT.10,2009

"mAyBE GOD pUt A FeW BAD pEoPLe In OuR LiFe So WhEN thE "RiGht ONE" cAMe AlONG yOu'd Be THankFUL":))

Processing

Estimates/Stats : our I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would love to be able to be there, but unfortunately the interview is a month before my daughter and I are due to arrive there for the summer!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Less stuff. :lol: Half of what I took was handed back to me immediately and the officer said it was overkill and unnecessary.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.