MrsBocanegra

Sending K-1 Petition

13 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

First I would like to say this site is Awesome there is a tremendous wealth of information here. I was planning on using a lawyer but I am glad I found you guys. I guess the whole process seemed a little intimidating, but you guys help ease these fear. :thumbs:

I am currently in Mexico with my SO and I don't want to send the petition through regular mail. We all know that it could take weeks for the petition to reach USCIS through "snail mail" and this process is long enough no need to add extra time. Do you think I should use FEDX or DHL? Also would I have to use a different address?

Thanks for the help!

Andrea

Citizenship
10/07/13 - Sent N-400
10/08/13 - Received @ 11:35 a.m. @ Lewisville Lockbox

Approved

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
First I would like to say this site is Awesome there is a tremendous wealth of information here. I was planning on using a lawyer but I am glad I found you guys. I guess the whole process seemed a little intimidating, but you guys help ease these fear. :thumbs:

Sorry for the typo silly mistakes...

Citizenship
10/07/13 - Sent N-400
10/08/13 - Received @ 11:35 a.m. @ Lewisville Lockbox

Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well ... I sent mine from here in Dallas to the Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight mail...no problems with that. If I understand you correctly you will be sending it from Mexico. I would use Fedex, but that is just my personal opinion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am currently in Mexico with my SO and I don't want to send the petition through regular mail. We all know that it could take weeks for the petition to reach USCIS through "snail mail" and this process is long enough no need to add extra time. Do you think I should use FEDX or DHL? Also would I have to use a different address?

Thanks for the help!

Andrea

One things to consider when sending the petition is the service whether it be UPS, DHL, or FedEx is the address to the USCIS is a PO Box number. Make sure they can deliver to a PO Box number. I sent mine by regular mail, but I did do it from inside the US borders. I know UPS does not deliver to a PO Box number. That may be a good question to ask DHL or FedEx in deciding which one. It maybe you will have to use regular mail if none of the carriers sends to PO Box numbers.

4-17-2009 sent K1 Petition

5-1-2009 USCIS received petition

5-4-2009 received NOA1 notice

7-17-2009 touched

7-20-2009 NOA2 received

8-3-2009 NVC received petition

8-4-2009 NVC sent petition to Manila

9-22-2009 Medical Exam (scar on lungs) will have sputum test done

9-28-2009 K1 visa interview (canceled)

12-02-2009 call the SLMEC for sputum test report out

12-07-2009 Medical passed

12-08-2009 CFO

December 16, 2009 visa Pink Slip

December 20, 2009 entered USA

With God's blessing

Dale and Pat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for the help!

Andrea

One things to consider when sending the petition is the service whether it be UPS, DHL, or FedEx is the address to the USCIS is a PO Box number. Make sure they can deliver to a PO Box number. I sent mine by regular mail, but I did do it from inside the US borders. I know UPS does not deliver to a PO Box number. That may be a good question to ask DHL or FedEx in deciding which one. It maybe you will have to use regular mail if none of the carriers sends to PO Box numbers.

The California Service Center uses a PO box for petitions delivered by mail. They have a separate address on Avila Road that they use for private couriers.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The Vermont Service Center has a street address on Welden St. that they use for all deliveries.

US citizens living outside the US are supposed to send to the service center that is appropriate for their LAST PLACE of residence in the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I would use FedEx simply because they have a better service within the US. DHL recently downsized dramatically in the US and no longer offer domestic services there (which, even though you are sending from Mexico, could affect the transit once it's within US borders simply because their system isn't as efficient as it used to be).

Don't get me wrong, DHL is a great company and I use them all the time to ship from Australia to the US, but I would trust FedEx on this one :)

July 2007 - met Jesse at a beach party held by mutual friends in Long Island, NY

May 2008 - J-1 visa expired, had to move back to Australia

July 2008-September 2008 - lived with Jesse for three months in Staten Island, NY

March 2009 - Jesse comes to Australia for 3 weeks

April 2009 - Engaged!

05/20/09 - I-129F petition mailed in

05/22/09 - NOA1!

05/25/09 - touch

09/09/09 - NOA2!

10/01/09 - due to fiance's illness, we are abandoning pursuit of K-1 at this point. Packet 3 received from consulate but won't be returned.

arnie.jpg

Our baby boy, Arnie.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

If you choose to use a courier, FedEx is the better option. We had endless delays using DHL with their domestic service being reduced.

Our K1 Journey Timeline

06.00.1998 - Met Online

12.22.2008 - I-129F received by VSC

12.22.2008 - NOA1 issued

04.08.2009 - NOA2 in 107 days - Igors List #174

04.14.2009 - NVC sent to Consulate in South Africa

04.29.2009 - Consulate received

05.04.2009 - Packet #3 received

05.08.2009 - Packet #4 received

05.14.2009 - Medical - Passed

06.22.2009 - Interview - APPROVED

06.29.2009 - Visa in hand

08.06.2009 - POE - Boston

08.22.2009 - Returned to South Africa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the help!

Andrea

DHL is "dead" in the USA, so they would need to hand off to another courier for final delivery

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your help.

make sure if u use fedex to get the actual physical address. i work for fedex and they dont deliver to po boxes. i sent mine fedex and u can track it online and see who signs for it (even the actual signature). its the best choice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I just sent mine using USPS Express Mail (Flat Rate envelope) cost about $18 if i remember right. This service comes with delivery confirmation and signature included in the price.

Mine went to the California Service Center PO Box just fine. Actually arrived in 1 day, but it was a Saturday so USCIS signed for it first thing Monday morning.

Good luck to you! :)

Regards,

Deryck

Everybody answering here seems to have forgetten that they are talking about US postal service and you are in Mexico!

As you know, in Mexico, you do not want to use their postal service.

Use DHL or Estafeta. They will deliver to the Juarez consulate address. DHL is likely the best in Mexico but Estafeta is very good also.

CDJ DOES have an El Paso address which is a po box. In that case, if you want to mail from the US, then use USPS delivery confirmed.

Even though I live in Mexico, I first sent my info by DHL to my dad in Houston. He signed his 864 and then mailed it by USPS - confirmed delivery - to the El Paso post box for the Juarez consulate.

Steve

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Everybody answering here seems to have forgetten that they are talking about US postal service and you are in Mexico!

As you know, in Mexico, you do not want to use their postal service.

Use DHL or Estafeta. They will deliver to the Juarez consulate address. DHL is likely the best in Mexico but Estafeta is very good also.

CDJ DOES have an El Paso address which is a po box. In that case, if you want to mail from the US, then use USPS delivery confirmed.

Even though I live in Mexico, I first sent my info by DHL to my dad in Houston. He signed his 864 and then mailed it by USPS - confirmed delivery - to the El Paso post box for the Juarez consulate.

Steve

Two points...

OP is sending petition - not visa application. Petition does not go to the consulate - it goes to the USCIS service center; either Vermont or California.

DHL no longer operates in the US. Anything sent DHL within the US is going to be delivered by UPS. I've heard there have been major problems with UPS acting as a sub-contractor for DHL. I would use FedEx, and have a single carrier manage the delivery from source to destination.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.