23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My friend is currently in the last step of getting his AOS....the interview. But he is getting a divorce and it will be final on June 3 and his interview is on June 10. What would be the proper steps of canceling this AOS and petitioning for himself. Has anyone done this and if so, HELP.

LIVE, LOVE, IMMIGRATE!

My friend is currently in the last step of getting his AOS....the interview. But he is getting a divorce and it will be final on June 3 and his interview is on June 10. What would be the proper steps of canceling this AOS and petitioning for himself. Has anyone done this and if so, HELP.

Very difficult. Have him get a GOOD lawyer.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Timeline

There's only one circumstance that permits an alien to self-petition for adjustment of status in a marriage based permanent residence case, and that would be when the alien has been subjected to abuse. Does this alien qualify?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

don't show up at the interview. the case will be considered abandoned.

NATURALIZATION

01-11-2014 N-400 Packet Sent

01-17-2014 Check cleared

01-24-2014 Received NOA dated 01/14 in the mail

02-20-2014 1st Service Request created for delayed biometric appointment letter

03-01-2014 Received 'yellow' letter in the mail

03-28-2014 2nd Service Request created since the 1st request had no response from the assigned Service Center

04-07-2014 Received biometric appointment letter in the mail

04-25-2014 At last, my biometric appointment!!!!

06-09-2014 Interview - recommended for approval!

07-17-2014 Oath Ceremoney USCIS-Orlando Office! I'm A United States Citizen

AOS AND EAD
02-13-2009 AOS Packet Sent
02-15-2009 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02-23-2009 Date of NOA1 (AOS & EAD)
02-25-2009 Check Cleared
02-27-2009 Received NOA1s (AOS and EAD) and Bio Appointment Letter in the mail!!
03-18-2009 Biometric Appointment
04-17-2009 EAD card production ordered!
04-27-2009 EAD card in received in mail
06-19-2009 Received interview appointment in the mail
08-19-2009 Interview Date APPROVED!
08-28-2009 Received 10-year GC in the mail

Timeline
Dear Lord. This is NOT your friend, this is the guy you want to marry. Sheesh - why on earth would you post two topics and be dishonest in this one??? Come one.

WELL LEN........the posting has my ID on it.......so how am I being dishonest.....not hiding my identity.......and he is still married......so he is not my financee......and he is my friend.......my best friend...............so if you don't have anything nice to say, please do not reply to my questions. Really have to need for your bull.

LIVE, LOVE, IMMIGRATE!

Filed: Timeline

People responded to you with the best possible advise in your other thread. You did not get the answers you were hoping for and open another one with the quite trite "a friend of mine" line?

Puh-leaze.

Read the Guides and follow the law. You don't have to like the law, but you should follow it; lest you and your friend find yourselves in deep s.h.i.t. with immigration authorities, and you do not want that, am I correct?

I do not treat adults with kiddie gloves. This process is harsh and it gets harsher. Again, you don't have to like it - but you have to live it.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

I canceled a AOS at the last step (The interview) with my now ex-wife. I found out that she married for the Green Card. I went to the local USCIS office and spoke to an officer. They took care the rest for me.

She could have still petitioned herself, if she had either 1. Proved that she was filing for a divorce for because of some type of abuse. It had to be documented by Police records, Medical records, etc. 2. That she can support herself with a job, housing, etc... then she would then had to apply for a work related VISA.

Very important that you don't play games with the USCIS, ie: lying to them. They will find out and in her case they did. She is currently banned from entering the U.S. for 5 years and then her being granted a VISA in the future is highly unlikely. *Karma is sweet*

It's true, it's hard to petition for the USCIS to continue the AOS while going thru a divorce. Not impossible! The main idea that the US government wants to be assured is that the burden of the immigrant won't be on the welfare system.

Edited by deenney

Timeline
I canceled a AOS at the last step (The interview) with my now ex-wife. I found out that she married for the Green Card. I went to the local USCIS office and spoke to an officer. They took care the rest for me.

She could have still petitioned herself, if she had either 1. Proved that she was filing for a divorce for because of some type of abuse. It had to be documented by Police records, Medical records, etc. 2. That she can support herself with a job, housing, etc... then she would then had to apply for a work related VISA.

Very important that you don't play games with the USCIS, ie: lying to them. They will find out and in her case they did. She is currently banned from entering the U.S. for 5 years and then her being granted a VISA in the future is highly unlikely. *Karma is sweet*

It's true, it's hard to petition for the USCIS to continue the AOS while going thru a divorce. Not impossible! The main idea that the US government wants to be assured is that the burden of the immigrant won't be on the welfare system.

I appreciate your reply. Okay, now this is what I am wondering. If he goes into the interview....even though he is going through a divorce that isn't final yet. As long as he can prove that he will not be a burden on the system....as far as a place to live and a job history.....which he has. He has been living here for 12 years and has had a job the whole time and has owned a home the whole time also. We are thinking of canceling the AOS and starting over when we get married. Just start fresh and new. But it would be alot less of a hassle and money if he could just get do it with the current AOS. Ugh....so much info and so little time.

LIVE, LOVE, IMMIGRATE!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Has he been working for 12 years without work authorization?

This is my question as well.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

JUST GO TO THE INTERVIEW AND LET THE CHIPS FALL WHERE THEY MAY. No one on this site can tell you what is goinmg to be the out come of his AOS. All anyone can say at this time is PLEASE do not lie about anything if he is questioned.

I know you want some type of postive outcome in answering the questions for your situation, but we laymans cannot do that for you.

Go luck on your journey, and I hope you do have some type of postive outcome.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

if this guy is getting first AOS for a conditional, or for a 10 year based on marriage longer than 2 years (might have been in country on H1b or some such) then his wife needs to show up too. if she doesn't, or shows and says she is waiting for the divorce to be final, he is out unless he has some other visa. you can marry him and file K3 but he has to leave the US in the meantime.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.