Auria

Dual Citizenship & a Top Secret Security Clearance

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Is it possible to be approved for a Top Secret Security Clearance if one has dual citizenship??

N-400 Naturalization Timeline:

June 20 '09: N-400 package mailed

June 23 '09: Package delivered

June 26 '09: Check cashed

June 30 '09: NOA1 received

July 6 '09: Biometrics letter received

July 16 '09: Biometrics appointment

August 21 '09 Interview Letter Received

October 5 '09 - Interview

xxx '09 - Oath

There are different levels of security clearances - not sure which would be the same as the James Bond sounding 'Top Secret' though - am guessing there aren't that many dual-nationals holding high government security clearances.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Is it possible to be approved for a Top Secret Security Clearance if one has dual citizenship??

Yes it is in theory, HOWEVER it is A LOT MORE DIFFICULT to obtain and takes a lot longer - since they basically have to go through the whole interview process with individuals you've interacted with in two countries.

This is the same though, even if you do not have dual nationality but were ever a citizen of another country.

When you're a dual national it can take 18 months - 2 years minimum for the clearance to come back, with a Top secret classification.

In general this means unless someone REALLY wants you, you're unlikely to be considered for a position requiring top secret clearance if you're a dual national.

So in a practical sense - unless you're VERY special nobody is going to put you through the clearance process as a dual national - they simply don't want to wait that long to know if you will be allowed to do the job or not.

(edit) PS: One way to get around this would be to slowly work your way up the clearances - working your way up through the ranks so to speak - but you would need to plan for the long haul - as people have said, high security clearances are possible, but Top secret normally requires interviews of family, friends and even past collegues... a very involved process even when multiple countries are not involved.

Edited by jamieswith

I-751 Process

=============

03/11/08 - Check Cashed by TSC, invalid SRC# on back along with a VLCXX reference.

03/31/08 - Had infopass appointment, got I-551 stamp and Trackable receipt number

04/09/08 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter.

04/18/08 - Biometrics Appointment 10am.

04/18/08 - Transferred to Vermont from TSC

06/16/08 - Online Status reports transfer received by Vermont

11/03/08 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/13/09 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/20/09 - Approved!

01/26/09 - New Card Received!

N-400 Process

=============

12/29/08 - Application mailed to TSC

12/30/08 - Arrived at TSC - Forwarded to Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

12/31/08 - Arrived at Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

01/02/09 - Priority Date

01/05/09 - NOA1 Mailed

01/06/09 - Check Cashed

01/09/09 - NOA1 Received (Priority Date of 01/02/09, Some data missing from form)

01/10/09 - Case Touched!

01/27/09 - Duplicate NOA1 Received (Missing Data filled in, was mailed on 01/24/09)

02/28/09 - Interview Letter Received

04/06/09 - Naturalization interview

04/06/09 - Interview Passed!

04/22/09 - Oath Ceremony!

04/22/09 - US Citizen at Last!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
There are different levels of security clearances - not sure which would be the same as the James Bond sounding 'Top Secret' though - am

He was only "Licensed to Kill"

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

My understanding was in order to get TOP SECURITY clearance, ur "immediate" relatives all have to be US citizen... "immediate relatives" meaning ur mom/dad/brother/sister/wife/kids... at least that's what I was told when I was job hunting.

USC petitioning for parents:

NVC:

1-7-09 NVC Received file, NVC Case# created

1-14-09 NVC Sent DS-3032/AOS Fee bill

1-15-09 Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

1-20-09 Received in mail DS-3032 / I-864 Bill from NVC

1-20-09 Paid I-864 Bill (Online)

1-21-09 Shows AOS Fee Bill Paid online

1-23-09 Return Completed I-864

1-23-09 NVC AVR message says IV Bill generated

1-23-09 Paid IV Bill online

2-9-09 DS-230 package sent to NVC

2-11-09 DS-230 received at NVC

2-17-09 Case Completed at NVC

2-25-09 NVC Left

4-29-09 Interview Date (Called AVR on 2/26/2009 and it said all documents sent to the consulate in KTM, Nepal. Also, talked to the operator on the same day and she said the interview has been set for 4/29/2009 and should be receiving the interview letter soon).

Consulate:

x-xx-09 Consulate Received

4-29-09 Interview Date (Interview rescheduled for earlier date of 4-20-2009)

4-20-09 Interview Successful (asked to come back for the visa on 4-23-2009)

4-23-09 Visa Received

5-22-09 US Entry : Entry at IAD.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
There are different levels of security clearances - not sure which would be the same as the James Bond sounding 'Top Secret' though - am

Well actually he was additionally "Licensed to Kill" - his actual clearance was never specified, but by nature of being a field operative in MI5/MI6 he would need a reasonably high clearance.

The nature of the information he was granted access to in the movies would indicate either a special exception was granted under the official secrets act, or he had "Top Secret" equivalent clearance (it's not called that hehehe)

My understanding was in order to get TOP SECURITY clearance, ur "immediate" relatives all have to be US citizen... "immediate relatives" meaning ur mom/dad/brother/sister/wife/kids... at least that's what I was told when I was job hunting.

This is true - immediate relatives must be US Citizens - but this does not preclude a dual national - as I said - as long as your immediate family is naturalized... or dead.

It's an incredibly lengthy process though for a dual national - there's not many positions they'll go to that level of trouble for.

I-751 Process

=============

03/11/08 - Check Cashed by TSC, invalid SRC# on back along with a VLCXX reference.

03/31/08 - Had infopass appointment, got I-551 stamp and Trackable receipt number

04/09/08 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter.

04/18/08 - Biometrics Appointment 10am.

04/18/08 - Transferred to Vermont from TSC

06/16/08 - Online Status reports transfer received by Vermont

11/03/08 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/13/09 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/20/09 - Approved!

01/26/09 - New Card Received!

N-400 Process

=============

12/29/08 - Application mailed to TSC

12/30/08 - Arrived at TSC - Forwarded to Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

12/31/08 - Arrived at Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

01/02/09 - Priority Date

01/05/09 - NOA1 Mailed

01/06/09 - Check Cashed

01/09/09 - NOA1 Received (Priority Date of 01/02/09, Some data missing from form)

01/10/09 - Case Touched!

01/27/09 - Duplicate NOA1 Received (Missing Data filled in, was mailed on 01/24/09)

02/28/09 - Interview Letter Received

04/06/09 - Naturalization interview

04/06/09 - Interview Passed!

04/22/09 - Oath Ceremony!

04/22/09 - US Citizen at Last!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well actually he was additionally "Licensed to Kill" - his actual clearance was never specified, but by nature of being a field operative in MI5/MI6 he would need a reasonably high clearance.

The nature of the information he was granted access to in the movies would indicate either a special exception was granted under the official secrets act, or he had "Top Secret" equivalent clearance (it's not called that hehehe)

This is true - immediate relatives must be US Citizens - but this does not preclude a dual national - as I said - as long as your immediate family is naturalized... or dead.

It's an incredibly lengthy process though for a dual national - there's not many positions they'll go to that level of trouble for.

One can get as a USA citizen a TS security clearance even if ones immediate relatives are not USA citizens. It is handled by case by case and they can issue waivers. That I know as a fact.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is incorrect. My husband, a US Citizen, has a TS with SCI (higher than regular TS). My being a citizen of another country has made it more difficult to maintain as his five year reinvestigations take longer.To have SCI he had to get an Attorney General waiver. It is possible, but more difficult.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Every increase in secuirty level is a lot harder to get and a lot harder to keep even for regular US citizens. There is usually the possility of a wavier for almost anything but it doesn't mean it is easy and it is usually much more costly. You may be talking about over 150000 in additional costs. Most complanies aren't going to pay that much extra.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

And your husband knows and is o.k. with you posting in a public forum. which can be accessed by anybody, what kind of clearance he has? :unsure:

This is incorrect. My husband, a US Citizen, has a TS with SCI (higher than regular TS). My being a citizen of another country has made it more difficult to maintain as his five year reinvestigations take longer.To have SCI he had to get an Attorney General waiver. It is possible, but more difficult.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.