Luckygoat

My wife (u.s citizen) is under 21

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

I was wondering if the U.S sponsorer for the k-1 visa have to be 21 or older. Me and my wife got married last year, I am 21 she is 19. I was wondering if I would I have any problem when filing paper work for AOS etc because she is not 21.

Came to the U.S on a F1 visa January 2008

Got engaged to my USC girlfriend Dec 2008

DEC 29th 2009 Married

JAN 27th 2010 Medical completed Jan 27th

FEB 17th 2010 AOS + I-130 package sent

FEB 25th Got emails with all receipt # ( but not able to check on USCIS site)

FEB 28th Online status check available

MAR 1st Received Hard Copy of NOA's in the mail

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAR 9th Biometrics complete via walk-in (All docs touched on USCIS site)

MAR 26th Received interview appointment (For May 6th)

APR 23rd Touched on I-130 and I-485

APR 26th Touched on all docs, EAD card production ordered

MAY 1st Advance patrol in mail

MAY 6th Interview (Request for additional information)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

June 28th Notice of approval on USCIS website

July 3th GREEN CARD INT HE MAIL!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

that wont be a problem at all, she just needs to show proof of income, which she can have co sponsor for

Known each other since we were kids ! =]

08/24/08-Engaged

01/10/2009- Sent

01/12/2009-NOA1

03/17/09- NOA2

03/25/09- NVC recieved

3/26/09- Forwarded to New Delhi Embassy

4/6/09- Packet 3 sent

4/8/09- Sent packet 3 to embassy

4/13/09-Embassy Sent packet 4

4/20/09- Recieved packet 4

4/25/09- Medical - passed =]

5/04-09- Gave paperwork to VFS

5/14/09- Intreview

Approved!!!!!!!!!!

5/26/09- POE at SFO

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

If you came here on a K1 visa and she was your sponsor, then why would it be an issue?

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I'm 18 and filing cr1 and have had no problems thus far and don't think I'll run into any

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline
If you came here on a K1 visa and she was your sponsor, then why would it be an issue?

thanks for all the re sponse guys. I am here on a f1 student visa. Thats a another thing im confused about...should go through the process of getting a K3 visa before I AOS, or can I adjust my status from F1.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Timeline
that wont be a problem at all, she just needs to show proof of income, which she can have co sponsor for

This is what we most likely will do becuz she do not work. Our parents are currently paying our living expenses. Can the sponsor be anyone?

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You are here in the US and married, so no need for a K visa (unless you return to your native country). You will adjust status here.

You will need evidence of a bona fide marriage. If parents are paying all of the living expenses that may limit the evidence that you will have. Take a look at the I-485 instructions to get a feel for what you will be able to show as evidence.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
You are here in the US and married, so no need for a K visa (unless you return to your native country). You will adjust status here.

You will need evidence of a bona fide marriage. If parents are paying all of the living expenses that may limit the evidence that you will have. Take a look at the I-485 instructions to get a feel for what you will be able to show as evidence.

thanks a mill. How would our parents paying for our living expense limit evidence of bonafide marriage...all the bills and apartment lease are in our names, they just provide us with the money. But yea...I was going home for the summer break becuase my school is close. If I apply to adjust status from my F1 visa and leave before I get advance parole, the application would be abandon...am i correct?

Maybe I should just wait until I return for the fall semester and then apply for AOS. Another thing...my visa is up december. If I do get I-130 and AOS approved by then and im still in the U.S, will be fine once i've applied?

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

18 and over is Considered Legal in USA

If she was under 18, You could act as her legal Gauudian in USA.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

thanks a mill. How would our parents paying for our living expense limit evidence of bonafide marriage...all the bills and apartment lease are in our names, they just provide us with the money. But yea...I was going home for the summer break becuase my school is close. If I apply to adjust status from my F1 visa and leave before I get advance parole, the application would be abandon...am i correct?

Maybe I should just wait until I return for the fall semester and then apply for AOS. Another thing...my visa is up december. If I do get I-130 and AOS approved by then and im still in the U.S, will be fine once i've applied?

You are correct that it would be abandoned unless you get AP before you leave. Since the AOS process can take a while, you can file for permission to leave (AP) and permission to work (EAD) with the AOS and usually they come through within 3 months. If you have the AP, you could go home and re-enter without abandoning your petition.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Timeline

You are correct that it would be abandoned unless you get AP before you leave. Since the AOS process can take a while, you can file for permission to leave (AP) and permission to work (EAD) with the AOS and usually they come through within 3 months. If you have the AP, you could go home and re-enter without abandoning your petition.

Thanks. I guess I have no choice but to wait until i get back in the fall because I cant wait 3 months for the AP to go home. When I get back do I have to wait 60 days after I arrive before I apply for AOS althought I've been here for 2 years studying? I've read somewhere that you have to wait 60 days to avoid suspension of visa fraud.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Do u need to get back to ur country for an emergency? If not just wait until u are approved. It isn't taking long these days. I started my journey in Jan and I have my interview this week,; just 3 months 1 day after my check was cashed in Jan. My visa expired December 2006 but being married to a USC pardons a lot. If you do not have an emergency then prioritize your adjustment. You will be able to travel as many times as you wish after your approval. I hope that going back won't be a red flag when your traveling documents are looked into and they won't as why not file CR1 instead. I think you need to be here and not be traveling about. Check it out first.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Timeline

Do u need to get back to ur country for an emergency? If not just wait until u are approved. It isn't taking long these days. I started my journey in Jan and I have my interview this week,; just 3 months 1 day after my check was cashed in Jan. My visa expired December 2006 but being married to a USC pardons a lot. If you do not have an emergency then prioritize your adjustment. You will be able to travel as many times as you wish after your approval. I hope that going back won't be a red flag when your traveling documents are looked into and they won't as why not file CR1 instead. I think you need to be here and not be traveling about. Check it out first.

I mean...yeah its kind of an emergency. I go home for the summers to work with the family business because I am not in school. I do not want to be here the whole summer doing nothing, no school, no work and having my parents pay rent etc. But I dnt quiet understand how me travelling would send a red flag...I mean I am not a resident here so I should be able to travel when ever I want. I do know that if I apply for AOS and then leave without AP it would be abandon, so ill just do it after the summer when i get back.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.