maiandra

Confused about K1 Validation

22 posts in this topic

Hey there everyone,

I have searched this forum now for an hour, without finding an answer that helps me.

In the K1 Process Flowchart, I found next to step 14 following:

"*Must enter the US within (typically) 6 months of the K-1 being issued."

I have searched all kinds of goverment webpages to get this anywhere confirmed but all I only find is "You must get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States." It does nowhere state the (typically) six months rule...

:help:

How long is the visa valid after I receive it?

Can anyone please tell me where I can find this on a offical goverment page, like USCIS, NVC, travelstate.gov ????

And does it vary by consulate (mine will be Frankfurt, Germany) or case or what?

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

AOS/AP/EAD

WEDDING: OCTOBER 24th 2009!

Nov.16th 2009 - AOS/AP/EAD sent to USCIS Chicago office

Nov.18th 2009 - AOS/AP/EAD arrived at Chicago PO Box

Dec.11th 2009 - Biometrics Appointment, Alexandria, VA

Jan.19th 2010 - EAD approved

Jan.20th 2010 - AOS Transfer from Chicago to California

Jan.23rd 2010 - AP received

Jan.25th 2010 - EAD received

June 25th 2010 - Green Card production ordered!

July 9th 2010 - Green Card received!

June 11th 2012 - Lifting Conditions filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

It means your K 1 Visa is Only Valid For ONE ENTRY INTO U.S. from the date of issuance. Which is possibly the date you receive your K 1 Visa. You must enter the country. After you enter into the country, you can wait up to 90 days to get married.

Timeline:

2/18/2009: Mailed I-129F Form

2/20/2009: NOA 1 Receipt Date

3/20/2009: NOA 2 Notice Approval Date

05/28/2009: Interview APPROVED

7/22/2009 --POE (LAX)-- We are together forever <3

AOS Journey Begins Here ^------^

7/28/2009 -- Applied for SSN & Registered for Marriage License

8/3/2009 -- Civil Ceremony

8/5/2009 -- Received Marriage Certificate via Express Mail. Pass DMV Written Exam & Received Permit

08/11/2009-- Mailed AOS to Chicago, IL

08/17/2009 -- Check clears $1010 USCIS

8/20/2009- Touched ^---^

8/21/2009-- NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765 Hard Copy

08/29/2009-- Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail, dated 08/26

09/03/2009 -- Early Walk In Biometrics Appt (Original Date 09/23)

09/04/2009 -- Touched ^---^

09/29/2009 -- EAD Card Production

10/07/2009 -- EAD Card Received

10/16/2009 AOS I-485 Interview in Los Angeles(APPROVED)

10/28/2009 -- GC in HAND <3

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey there everyone,

I have searched this forum now for an hour, without finding an answer that helps me.

I have searched all kinds of goverment webpages to get this anywhere confirmed but all I only find is "You must get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States." It does nowhere state the (typically) six months rule...

Can anyone please tell me where I can find this on a offical goverment page, like USCIS, NVC, travelstate.gov ????

And does it vary by consulate (mine will be Frankfurt, Germany) or case or what?

Find the answer here. http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3272.html

The visa is valid for one entry within six months of issue. Once used to enter the US, the visa is dead and gone regardless of its expiration date. Your 90 days to marry or go home, starts on the entry date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It means your K 1 Visa is Only Valid For ONE ENTRY INTO U.S. from the date of issuance. Which is possibly the date you receive your K 1 Visa. You must enter the country. After you enter into the country, you can wait up to 90 days to get married.

I know I can enter only once, and then I have to get married within 90 days - but: How much time do I have until I enter?

AOS/AP/EAD

Hey there everyone,

Find the answer here. http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3272.html

The visa is valid for one entry within six months of issue. Once used to enter the US, the visa is dead and gone regardless of its expiration date. Your 90 days to marry or go home, starts on the entry date.

Cool, that helps! :thumbs: Thank you!

AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey there everyone,

The visa is valid for 6 months from when you are issued the visa. You must enter the USA within 6 months. When you enter the USA your K-1 visa is CANCELLED (it is sinlge entry only) It is replaced by the I-94 which is valid for 90 days. You must get married and (by law) file for AOS before the I-94 expires 90 days after you enter the USA.

Any of the government and consulate websites should explain this. Sometimes they are not all that clear, but thats the deal. Visa validity and I-94 validity do not vary by consulate.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
The visa is valid for 6 months from when you are issued the visa. You must enter the USA within 6 months. When you enter the USA your K-1 visa is CANCELLED (it is sinlge entry only) It is replaced by the I-94 which is valid for 90 days.
Pushbrk already said this.
You must get married and (by law) file for AOS before the I-94 expires 90 days after you enter the USA.
It is advisable and prudent, but not a "must," to file for AOS within that time. If I'm wrong, someone will cite the controlling law verbatim. You must indeed marry your fiance(e) within the 90 days after entry to the U.S.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
It is advisable and prudent, but not a "must," to file for AOS within that time.
I was NOT wrong. See this thread (Gary) from today:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191266

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
The visa is valid for 6 months from when you are issued the visa. You must enter the USA within 6 months. When you enter the USA your K-1 visa is CANCELLED (it is sinlge entry only) It is replaced by the I-94 which is valid for 90 days.
You must get married and (by law) file for AOS before the I-94 expires 90 days after you enter the USA.
It is advisable and prudent, but not a "must," to file for AOS within that time. If I'm wrong, someone will cite the controlling law verbatim. You must indeed marry your fiance(e) within the 90 days after entry to the U.S.

Actually, the consequence of marrying on 91 days or more after entry is that an I-130 must be filed with the I-485 when you adjust status. You are deportable from the 91st day until you can prove you filed the I-130 and AOS but as a practical matter, there is no real consequence for marrying late, as long as you do marry the original petitioner.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

The instructions for the I-485 list as ineligible to adjust status any person with an expired I-94. I am well aware that many people file the AOS after the expiration of the I-94 but cannot recommend someone do something specifically against the instructions.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Yes Pushbrk and others said it. And? Personally I prefer to see multiple answers of the same result. Hopefully this site will not turn into a game of jeapordy where we have to "buzz in" our answers. Pushbrk is a pretty smart guy, I am glad I came to the same conclusion on this topic. Elementary though it may be. Many times I do not read other responses before I answer. If I am wrong I will say so, if I happen to say the same thing, it is because it is correct and an agreed concensus. Good news for the OP. I am attempting to supply, or confirm, an answer. Not write copyrighted literature.

I am not sure why you seem to persist in trying to nit-pick my answers around the boards, Tbone. Have I given this person "bad" advice? To file the AOS within 90 days as the instructions state? Why would someone so conservative and careful in his advice as you are, advise someone to do something which could possibly cause a problem (at worst) or require more forms be filed (at best) when you could just advise the follow printed instructions? Perhaps just to be disagreeable. I really have no bone to pick with you. You are a fellow Texican, (yep, I was born in Runnels county)albeit from east Texas, but still. And I admire your handling of a difficult case, as I have said many times. Sorry, I do not have any horror stories to report in my case, all went smoothly. I think for most people it does. I'm not going to "get into it" with you, there is no need to. I will continue to give answers based on my experience and interpretations, and you will do the same. Such is the function of public forums.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The instructions for the I-485 list as ineligible to adjust status any person with an expired I-94. I am well aware that many people file the AOS after the expiration of the I-94 but cannot recommend someone do something specifically against the instructions.

Fortunately, exceptions to that rule are pretty routine for the immediate relatives of US Citizens, when that's the only exception needed. What I wouldn't do is recommend a K1 intentionally wait to marry because it increases the AOS fees from $1,010 to $1,365 as well as further delaying the process and almost assures an interview that is otherwise often not necessary.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Don't mean to hijack this thread but my plan later on is to register SSN, get married, then change SSN to married name BEFORE filing AOS as I don't want my long #### maiden name to be on joint accounts, joint tenancy, EAD, insurance and all that. I'm not sure how long it takes to change your name on SSN to married name but however long that takes is however long till filing AOS. One of the reasons why we might not make the 90 day mark from entry to adjust status.

By the way, anyone with experience know how long it takes to change name on SSN?

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Actually now that we thought about it, its maybe better to just apply for SSN after getting married, unless the SSN is needed somewhere between entry and after marriage. Only thing I can think of is needing it for marriage license but maybe my passport will be enough.

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually now that we thought about it, its maybe better to just apply for SSN after getting married, unless the SSN is needed somewhere between entry and after marriage. Only thing I can think of is needing it for marriage license but maybe my passport will be enough.

Each state is different to what is required to get your marriage license. Look up the register of deeds in your area to see what is needed.

A lot of the time, the bank and the DMV will require your SSN to process applications, so if you are waiting a while into your 90 days to get married, you may want to apply before hand. If so, you cannot change the name on your SSN to your married name until you recieve your EAD..they're just picky like that.

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.