Neophyte282

Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm looking for some help on getting "Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage" for my I-130 (AoS from B2 visa).

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or None

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or Because I don't have a SSN they wouldn't put me on our lease until I have one.

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or We sent a form to his bank to add me to his bank account but they are taking a LONG time to do it.

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or None

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or We are co-renting with my husbands best friend and wife so they are obviously aware of our marriage. We can go to the lawyer on the military base and get something like this but I'm not sure what we should write in the affidavit.

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union. What else can we use? I just came here in January and got married in February. We really don't have much together because I don't have a SSN and they won't add me to anything. He did put onto his medical insurance (tri-care) at work. Would that also be proof?

Back history - No, I did not intend on getting married when coming here. I came here Jan 16, 2009 and we got married Feb 10, 2009.

I'm looking for some help on getting "Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage" for my I-130 (AoS from B2 visa).

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or Because I don't have a SSN they wouldn't put me on our lease until I have one.

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or We sent a form to his bank to add me to his bank account but they are taking a LONG time to do it.

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or None

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or We are co-renting with my husbands best friend and wife so they are obviously aware of our marriage. We can go to the lawyer on the military base and get something like this but I'm not sure what we should write in the affidavit.

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union. What else can we use? I just came here in January and got married in February. We really don't have much together because I don't have a SSN and they won't add me to anything. He did put onto his medical insurance (tri-care) at work. Would that also be proof?

Back history - No, I did not intend on getting married when coming here. I came here Jan 16, 2009 and we got married Feb 10, 2009.

So your saying that in 25 days you met and fell in love with the partner of your dreams?

If so, then you may be having problems demonstrating that it is a bonifide marriage because perhaps its not????

Good luck with it all anyway.

USCIS JOURNEY

14-Sep-08 Sent I-130

23-Sep-08 Recieved NOA1

28-Oct-08 Received NOA1

09-Feb-09 Received RFE for I-130

16-Feb-09 Sent Evidence for I-130

26-Feb-09 Received email NOA2 Approved!

28-Feb-09 Received Approval notice for I-130

NVC JOURNEY

12-Mar-09 NVC Received File

17-Mar-09 Emailed DS 3032 to NVC

28-Mar-09 Received DS3032 and AOS Bill via email

28-Mar-09 Paid AOS Bill online - Status = In Process

29-Mar-09 Emailed scanned DS3032 & posted via snail mail

30-Mar-09 Received email that DS3032 was received by NVC and that IV Bill will be sent

31-Mar-09 Paid IV Bill

31-Mar-09 AOS Bill Status = PAID !!!

06-Apr-09 Hubby posted DS230 and AOS priority and certified

08-Apr-09 @11:04am - Item Delivered PORTSMOUTH NH 03801 04/08/09 11:02am

10-Apr-09 NVC AVR states documents received

17-Apr-09 AVR states Case Complete at NVC!!!

21-Apr-09 Expedite request approved

24-Apr-09 Case sent from NVC to Sydney Consulate

29-Apr-09 Medical Appointment - Passed, YIPPEE and Thank You God !

05-May-09 Interview scheduled at Sydney Consulate APPROVED!!!

16-May-09 - Arrived in USA!!!!

20-May-09 Got my SSN.

Timeline

Thanks for your help, but we knew each other online for 8 months and I came here to visit with out the intention to marry but ya, we did fall madly in love, we live together now, we use my credit cards and he pays them with his money... I can't go on the lease because I don't have a SSN and adding me to his banking is just as hard for that reason.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

We didn't have stacks of evidence either (also adjusted from visitor, not intending to stay), and the interviewer seemed to put most weight on our affidavits from friends and cards between us and from my stepson. TO go through your list:

1 - we didn't have either

2 - you should get the EAD before you get the interview letter, and once you have this you can get an SSN, so therefore you should be able to get this before the interview. If not, maybe get a letter saying that they won't put you on as no SSN, but they know that you live there together?

3- go into the bank and talk to a real person. Bank of America added me (actually we opened a new joint account) before I had an SSN, I just used my (old) foreign address, then once I had my GC they updated the details with my SSN and US residency. Maybe try BoA if your bank is uncooperative? Try and do this asap so it doesn't look like you just opened it for the interview and you have time to show you are genuinely using the account.

4 - we didn't have either

5 - get letters from the people you live with and also other friends who know you as a couple. We had three letters, basically just saying how the people had known us for x long, knew that we were a real couple and how much in love we obviously were. We didn't get them notarized and it seemed fine, but if you search on here, there is a sample form letter that can be used and is much more formal and official looking than our letters! I would definitely get these if you don't have much other evidence.

6 - being on his medical insurance is good. How about car insurance? Drivers licenses showing the same address? Does he have life insurance/a will? Can you get added to a credit card? We had a big scrapbook of photos and cards we'd sent each other, as well as cards to us jointly from other people, and the interviewer was very interested in it. We showed her one card from my stepson to me on mother's day, and said 'that says it all', so this can really help!

Hope that helps, best of luck!

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply! He banks with USAA and they don't have a "real live bank" to go to. I have a letter here somewhere his mom sent me for my b-day in Feb, but other than that, we do everything online. I'll see about printing off some emails she sent us. About the credit card, again it's USAA and they are taking a long time. They had me fill out some W form saying I was not an American citizen and I wasn't using the income from his bank for business.

I am in a very similar situation! I met my husband on line and we were friends for a few months and he decided to come here and visit for the first time in Aug ( and there was no intent to marry, we hadn't known each other very long, ALL of his family is in Austalia, he lived with his dad to help care for him since he had a stroke, and he had a return airline ticket to leave in November). He was here about 5 weeks & there was no denying that the relationship went from friendship to love in that time, and we decided to marry. I guess we jumped in head first LOL. I too have run into similar problems with the bonafide marriage proof, because he has no social security number.

I sent in a letter from my grandmother (we live with her) that there is no written lease, but that we do reside there rent free. I can't add him to our car title or registration because he has no SS#.

From what I understand, take proof, we have tons of family photos from holidays and outings with my family (we are VERY close knit), I can add him to my bank account we just have to go there.

We sent his papers in on Feb 28 2009, and we got our biometrics appt for Next friday 3/27! We are trying to make it possible for him to work, so we are very excited.

Any help you can give with your experience that you have had so far would be very helpful and I would be more than happy to reciprocate the info I get with you.

Thanks for the post its nice to know we are not alone in our situation.

Have a beautiful day

Kimberly Troth

Details

Met online Dec 2007

Started talking online (Xbox) 02/15/2008

Came to US to meet 08/29/2008 (return home date was 11/14/2008)

Got engaged 10/05/2008

Got married at sunset on the beach 11/01/2008

7fdc6d7397.png

I-130/765/485

02/27/2009 sent papers Usps to Chicago Lock Box

03/07/2009 received NOAs dated 03/04/09 (130 & 765 show online 485 does not)

03/13/2009 received biometrics appt notice for 03/27/2009

03/27/2009 biometrics appt @3pm (in & out in less than 20 minutes)

04/16/2009 Received pink notice of medical exam needed

04/17/2009 Had medical exam done by Civil Surgeon (have to return on Tuesday 04/21/2009 forResults)

04/24/2009 Papers delivered to Lees Summit (MSC) :o)

05/07/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD card has been ordered & should arrive within 30 days

05/08/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD Approval Notice was sent

05/09/2009 Received EAD card in mail YAAAAAY

05/12/2009 Applied for Social Security Card

05/15/2009 NOA received with I-485 interview date 07/20/2009

020b50f4b0.png

07/20/2009 AOS Interview in Orlando FL

07/21/2009 Email received " Card Production Ordered " YAAAAY 139 days!

07/24/2009 Welcome letter received! & Approval of I-130 also received! Yaaay

08/04/2009 Green Card received! Hoooraaaaay!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There are banking institutions that allow you to open a bank account without the SS#. It's not a big deal to open another account at BOA for example. Don't sit back waiting for his bank to prioritize you, if they are taking too long to add you to his account then open an account at a bank that will. My husband and I went into his bank and they added me to his account because I am his wife using 000 00 0000 as my SS# pending me getting one. We told them that we are about to begin the immigration process and they said we should let them know when we receive the number. That was in 2007 and all I took was my passport, our marriage license and my health card and it was done while we wait. It was the same when he wanted to add me to his health insurance they did it with the marriage license as proof of our marriage and told us to let them know when we receive the SS#

Ask the landlord to verify that you live at the address even though you cannot be added until you have a SS#. Our landlord added me and I didn't have a SS#. Having the medical insurance is great. What about life insurance? Also see if your name can be added to bills ( light, cable etc). When you get your EAD card and apply for your social you can do more together. I applied for the electricity in my name over the phone and all they asked from me was my passport number as identification and that was that. The first person I spoke with told me that I couldn't get it without SS# unless I pay a security deposit but I hung up and called again and the next person told me to give him my passport number and he said that was enough and I didn't have to pay a deposit. Try until you succeed. The only thing is that now that I learn that it is best to have the utilities in both names I was told that I would have to close the account and that they will have to send me a form and it will take a billing cycle before it can reflect the name change which won't be done in time as our interview is next month.The day after we got married my husband added me to his health plan, I was already his beneficiary on his will before marriage and I'm the beneficiary on his pension which can never be changed so that says a lot. I'm also beneficiary on his Social security and I am his health care proxy.

All the best and don't worry it will all work out

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Thank you so much for your reply! He banks with USAA and they don't have a "real live bank" to go to. I have a letter here somewhere his mom sent me for my b-day in Feb, but other than that, we do everything online. I'll see about printing off some emails she sent us. About the credit card, again it's USAA and they are taking a long time. They had me fill out some W form saying I was not an American citizen and I wasn't using the income from his bank for business.

Did he add you to the DEERS and do you have military dependant card? That should cover at least some things.

Also he can print the form for the beneficiaries and designate you to receive all benefits.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So your saying that in 25 days you met and fell in love with the partner of your dreams?

If so, then you may be having problems demonstrating that it is a bonifide marriage because perhaps its not????

This is going to have a huge weight on your application.

If you married under 30 days, in most cases they are going to assume you had intent.

If you married 30-60 days it is usually upto you to prove you had no intent on staying n the states (showing your ties back home, mortgage/lease/job).

In most cases if you marry after 60 days they are a bit less strict regarding the intent issue.

Ive heard this from several people on this forum, AND 3 different lawyers I have spoken to. Ive had one tell me to just come down and marry after 90 days and all will be fine. But I told him I want to do it the right way where I have no chance of being barred from the US to visit my husband and apply for the CR1/K3. Ive had another tell me the same thing, but marry after 60 days. I was shocked to hear that they all said to just cross over and do it, I dont want to risk being with my husband for years. Short term pain for long term gain. But the thing that they all had in common (the lawyers) was they all said do not marry before 60 days or in most cases its a lot harder to prove intent

Since your marriage was so fast after coming into the US, I hope you have a good immigration attorney

Edited by ♥Stiggy♥

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Timeline

I have no lawyer, I was laid off and lived with my parents before deciding to come here and visit for 10 days. I guess things aren't looking that good, eh?

Yes, he did sign me up for DEERS and I have my military ID card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

love doesn't required times, there are people out there who fell in love at first sight. One day is all it takes to fall in love, you're saying 25 days is not enough to fall in love? then you should get a reality check

Edited by r0yalflush

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

love doesn't required times, there are people out there who fell in love at first sight. One day is all it takes to fall in love, you're saying 25 days is not enough to fall in love? then you should get a reality check

I wonder why the divorce rate is so high too after people truly get to know eachother

Edited by ♥Stiggy♥

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

I've read many places to wait at least 30-60 days before being married. I think USCIS views it as you really intended on getting married when you came in and that you are trying to find a loop hole through the system not that they doubt you fell in love but maybe married to stay here.

Anyways, you can use pictures, emails, phone records, cards, basically any evidence you have from the 8 months before you came to prove you didn't just come on vacation and married some guy you met to stay.

It will also help to collect evidence to take to your interview that shows a relationship since you've married.

Goodluck!

Shelly and Jay

Meet on ICQ: 1999

Meet in person: Dec. 2005

O1 visa approved for Jay: Sept. 2006

Both move to CA: Sept. 2006

Jay proposed: Feb. 2007

Married: 07/11/2008

Mailed AOS 04/06/2009

Package received 04/07/2009

Checks cashed 04/13/2009

NOAs received for I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765 dated April 13, 2009

Biometric 1-485 & I-765 scheduled April 29, 2009 letter dated April 15, 2009 (8 days from filing!)

Biometric done 04/29/2009

EAD and AP touched 05/08/2009

I-485 waiting for letter requesting initial evidence 05/08/2009

RFE received for 864 requesting 2008 tax return 05/15/2009

Mailed RFE letter 05/16/2009

RFE response received and case resumed processing (or more waiting) 05/21/09

EAD & AP card production ordered 06/12/09

Received AP 06/17/09

Received EAD 6/22/09

Interveiw date 07/28/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.