SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Welcome aboard Geist! Tervetuloa joukkoomme iloiseen :P Seems like the few Finnish-American couples I've seen posting here have all done DCF. Good luck and keep me posted :):star: What part of Finland is your hubby from?

3dflags_fin0001-0001a.gifSanna and Daniel's journey3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

December 13, 2007 - I-751 submitted to NSC (removing of conditions fun begins...)

December 22 - Received a rejection notice because the form was not "properly signed". Package itself was not returned.

January 1, 2008 - Received packet back from CSC. They are requesting we resubmit the packet (which is already organized by CSC) with a properly signed form.

January 2 - Packet resubmitted to California.

January 12 - NOA1 received (dated 01/07/2008)

January 19 - Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 01/15/2008)

February 1 - Biometrics

March 11 - Approved! Card production ordered (notified via e-mail).

March 20, 2008 - New card arrived in the mail :)

Done until 2018 :)

For more details including K1 and AOS journies check out "Our story" in my profile =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
Welcome aboard Geist! Tervetuloa joukkoomme iloiseen :P Seems like the few Finnish-American couples I've seen posting here have all done DCF. Good luck and keep me posted :):star: What part of Finland is your hubby from?

hi! We would have done DCF, too, and we had an appointment for it on February 14, but thanks to the Adam Walsh Act, we found out on January 27 that we couldn't do that any more :( so now we're settling in for the long wait and it sucks because all the Finnish-American couples I know have done DCF too! So they can't really give me any advice or tell me what to do.

My husband is from Turku :) Where're you from?

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

Moikka :)

I'm from Helsinki. My 2 good Finnish friends here in the US went through K1 and so did I. Are you guys doing K3? I'm guessing you're located somewhere on the east coast?

December 13, 2007 - I-751 submitted to NSC (removing of conditions fun begins...)

December 22 - Received a rejection notice because the form was not "properly signed". Package itself was not returned.

January 1, 2008 - Received packet back from CSC. They are requesting we resubmit the packet (which is already organized by CSC) with a properly signed form.

February 1 - Biometrics

For more details including K1 and AOS journies check out "Our story" in my profile =)

Oh NVM, just checked your profile. Good luck with the CR-1/IR-1 ;)

February 1 - Biometrics

I feel like being Scandinavian now, because I have some weird desire to learn Swedish - hejsan! :lol: So I'm just going to drop in on your little Scandinavian hangout here. :lol:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
I feel like being Scandinavian now, because I have some weird desire to learn Swedish - hejsan! :lol: So I'm just going to drop in on your little Scandinavian hangout here. :lol:

Hah, I don't speak a word of swedish :( Other than Bork! ;)

My 2 good Finnish friends here in the US went through K1 and so did I. Are you guys doing K3? I'm guessing you're located somewhere on the east coast?

Yea, we're doing CR-1. We were going to do K-3 but lately they've been taking just as long with the I-129f as they have with the I-130s. Since the CR visa is the better visa and I live 45 MINUTES away from the NVC, we decided to take our chances with this visa in hopes it decreases the final amount of paperwork and government involvement in our lives.

And yea, I live out east now, but I'm originally from Kansas--my husband and I decided we wanted to live in NH and I moved out here as the "forward guard" so to speak :) But a lot of my family is from Utah--Provo and Ogden primarily :)

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello Scandinavians!

I am an American living in Norway with my Norwegian fiance! Yes... there are very few of you out there trying to immigrate to the U.S. I looking forward to hearing about your stories and experiences through the visa process. We are just in the beginning phases and would love to hear a Norwegain perspective... anyone out there who has the K-1 already??

Thanks!

Hilsen,

Lauren

02.08.07-mailed I-129F

02.13.07-I-129F received in TX

02.20.07-NOA1 mailed from Cali

02.27.07- NOA1 received snail mail

04.11.07- married in Norway & withdrew fiance petition

04.12.06- DCF in Norway, mailed I-130 to Embassy

04.13.07-Interview scheduled for 05.02.07!!!!

05.02.07- VISA APPROVED

Geist, if you guys ever decide to visit your family here in UT let me know ;) Btw, I'm hoping to visit my family and friends in Finland this August. By then it'll be over 2 years since I've been back home. Time flies!

soon2bmarried, welcome aboard! :) I haven't seen many Norwegians here on VJ but there was at least 1 who was posting on this thread before.

February 1 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this thread. Nice to find some fellow Scandinavians here. I am Norwegian, and I am doing AOS. I came here on a student visa three years ago, so we didn't do the k-1, though. Right now we are waiting anxiously for our interview on April 11. Good luck to you all!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have not even logged in for such a long time! We are getting ready to AOS. We wanted to be sure that we get approval after our 2 year anniversary. We had planned on taking a family vacation to Sweden in April but now only my husband is going back for a week because I will be 31 weeks pregnant at that time and unable to travel overseas.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline

Hej!

I'm a icelander(some swedish, some danish roots) studying and living in Denmark but moving over to NC in the fall.

How are you guys moving your belongings over to the US, get a good deal on shipping?

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-September-18 - Mailed to Chicago

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

• 1 month later...

Welcome aboard jburge97 and pervez :)

I have a question for you all. Do you guys look for the company of other people from your country or try and find some of the things you miss from home here in the US? I sometimes get the urge to speak Finnish (friends and family from back home are not always available online because of the time difference). Luckily I have a Finnish friend here who is my age. I don't see her very often but it's nice to know she's there. I also go to a Finnish women's book club maybe about once in 2 months. Most people there are much older but oh well. I also go to the local Dutch store that has many Scandinavian goodies every once in a while. There is a Scandinavian store and a Scandinavian cafe here, as well. What do you guys miss from home the most?

February 1 - Biometrics

Hey SanDan,

For the stuff that I miss.. I have people send that stuff over.

However I don't really miss any Nordic stuff .. or one of my previous bosses can get me some when she has her packages sent from the Faroe Islands or Denmark over.

Never been to Finnish food really ...

So the stuff I miss .. and do my best to get would include proper green teas (Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc), some Japanese and Korean foods, some Italian flavors and coffee (I once lived in Spain and complained for the first 6 weeks that I could only find Spanish coffee, not the Italian), some liquors (Italian, and surprisingly some Finnish berry liquors are nice ... a trip once a year is enough, or if I know anyone going there I ask them to bring some), and from US I have real corn tortillas (so 100 % no wheat unlike the Euro versions of it) and jellybellies and Reese's cups .. :)

For the fennoamantes I know there's http://www.suomikauppa.fi/ .. never tried though. Liquors are nice but then we have the patience to go there once a year or so ...

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

Thanks for the reply yum :) I have people (mostly my mum) send me a lot of stuff too, mostly chocolates and salmiac. There are a few other websites where you can order Finnish/Scandinavian goods too. I loooove green teas, as well. I've been a big matcha addict since I started practicing Japanese tea ceremony (chado) back in 1994. I prefer my green tea cold now that the weather's becoming hotter again... Snapple has some interesting flavors here, both green and white tea. You couldn't find all the green tea stuff here 2 years ago but it seems to be fashionable right now. I also like to treat myself with a matcha frappucino from Starbucks every once in a while (better than the matcha drink you get from Jamba Juice). I'm not a big fan of the (Finnish) berry liqueurs myself but cloudberry liqueur is my father-in-law's favorite. If the state liquor store here would sell some Finnish hard liquors like "salmiakkikossu" (some of them have Finlandia vodka) I'd probably buy it :P Swedes seem to have a lot of choices though.

February 1 - Biometrics

She's baaaack..... :blush:

Hejsan, hejsan....

Anyway..I had a desire to talk some swedish. I know I said I hated being there but given the gamut of my personal problems lately, I am almost sorry I left. I really didnt appreciate Sweden while living there. I am ashamed of myself.. :whistle:

I have been practicing lots. I really hope to get back there someday.

me: US, soon-to-be ex: Sweden

Our Journey

09/25/97--met online

'97-'99---carried on long distance relationship

02/14/99---married in the US

10/23/99---received swedish residence permit

12/02/99---moved to Sweden

03/21/01---filed I-130; no visa given

06/27/02--visa interview; denied told to file I-601 for CIMT

9/12/05--visa interview; submitted 601 to Stockholm, Sweden

10/06/05----waiver forwarded to DHS; Copenhagen, Denmark

10/11/05---waiver entered into the DHS system

12/15/05---waiver finally mailed to London; rc'd snaily from ICE (12/16/05)

01/03/06----DHS London finally receives waiver; let the adjudication begin!

Jan. 25 06---LONDON APPROVES WAIVER!!!

02/02/06---sent passport off to embassy to receive visa

02/06/06---rc'd passport w/visa and infamous brown envelope

02/25/06----spouse immigrated to Florida..Miami POE, no probs!

03/14/06----spouse received social security card

03/17/06----spouse received green card!

03/12/06----Finally back in the US after 7 long years!

08/20/06--We separate after almost 8 years of marriage

06/09/07---still separated.....probably filing for divorce in August

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.