SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

And today it arrived!

Unfortunately I learned today that my previous J-1 visa is going to cause trouble. It comes with a 2-year home residency rule, which I have not yet fulfilled. That wouldn't be until the end of November, at the earliest. Luckily I should be able to waive it with the help of the Swedish embassy in Washington DC, but that looks like a ~2 month process. I should have known before that the 2-year home residency rule applies to the K-1 visa as well, and not only the J-1 visa.

If I showed up at the embassy for the interview and explained that I have filed for a waiver of the 2-year home residency rule, would they keep my visa application on hold until I can present them the waiver? Or is it likely they would deny the visa and have us start all over again?

I thought emailing the embassy would be hopeless, but I actually received a response in less than 12 hours!

It's not biggie. I go there and do the interview, and once I have my waiver I send it to them. They will not deny the visa, but simply not issue it before the waiver + all other documents are in their hands.

February 15th: Submitted I-129f.

February 19th: Electronic NOA1

February 23rd: Hardcopy NOA1

April 22nd: RFE

April 23rd: Submitted RFE response

April 28th: RFE received by USCIS

May 19th: Approved. Electronic NOA2

May 24th: Hardcopy NOA2

June 8th: NVC receive case

June 10th: NVC assign case number

June 17th: E-mail from US embassy in Stockholm

June 20th: Discover that J1 visa 2-year home residency rule not fulfilled. Filing for waiver of the 2-year rule.

June 30th: Sent documents for 2-year rule waiver to the Waiver Review Division at the Department of State.

June 30th: Sent documents to Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. for No Objection Statement regarding 2-year rule.

July 6th: Medical examination in Stockholm.

---> July 14th: Interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm. Approved. Waiver for 2-year rule required before visa can be handed out.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I thought emailing the embassy would be hopeless, but I actually received a response in less than 12 hours!

It's not biggie. I go there and do the interview, and once I have my waiver I send it to them. They will not deny the visa, but simply not issue it before the waiver + all other documents are in their hands.

That's good news! And yes, the consulate in Sweden is very responsive and helpful :-)

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

My fiancé has to send me a few things now after we finally received our approval from USCIS so I checked the guide and this is what I found I need:

-Tax papers
-Form i-134
-Letter of intent to marry
-NOA2

It doesn't say anything about the USC's divorce decree but I'll probably need that too (already have it anyway). Is there anything else he should send me that isn't in the guide? I already have all the originals of all the proof we sent with our i-129f package, like boarding passes, receipts, tickets, pictures and so on.

He earns enough to not need a co-sponsor but does he still need to show his savings and so on? I was thinking the tax papers are enough. He's self-employed so there are no pay stubs, letter from any employer or W-2s.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My fiancé has to send me a few things now after we finally received our approval from USCIS so I checked the guide and this is what I found I need:

-Tax papers

-Form i-134

-NOA2

It doesn't say anything about the USC's divorce decree but I'll probably need that too (already have it anyway). Is there anything else he should send me that isn't in the guide? I already have all the originals of all the proof we sent with our i-129f package, like boarding passes, receipts, tickets, pictures and so on.

He earns enough to not need a co-sponsor but does he still need to show his savings and so on? I was thinking the tax papers are enough. He's self-employed so there are no pay stubs, letter from any employer or W-2s.

The tax papers are fine no need to bring anything else.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

-Tax papers
-Form i-134
-NOA2

It will all be on the check list from the embassy what to bring and on that it will also state that you need his divorce decree.

Timeline

It will all be on the check list from the embassy what to bring and on that it will also state that you need his divorce decree.

Yes, that's true. But we'd like to do it before hand so we're ready. Sometimes when we've sent something between us it took a month to get there or here, I don't trust the mail service between these two countries. I'd rather get the papers "too early" than too late. :D

I wonder why the divorce decree isn't mentioned in the guides. Maybe it's just very country specific and individual.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline

Yes, that's true. But we'd like to do it before hand so we're ready. Sometimes when we've sent something between us it took a month to get there or here, I don't trust the mail service between these two countries. I'd rather get the papers "too early" than too late. :D

I wonder why the divorce decree isn't mentioned in the guides. Maybe it's just very country specific and individual.

No everybody has to provide that.

You can see the checklist on page 220 in this thread.

Timeline

I'm beginning the AOS process and have a question concerning the I-864.

I've read that they want to see a history of income above the poverty threshold (or 125% of the poverty guidelines). My 2014 and 2015 exceed the limit, but my 2013 does not. My current salary also exceeds the limit, and I have savings that exceed the yearly limit. Will this be enough to avoid an RFE? or should I also add a joint sponsor?

I may be a little paranoid, but I figure it's better to ask for advice now than wait until after I file. The ony wrong question is the one you don't ask, right?

Thanks in advance!

K-1

Nov 23, 2015: I-129F Packet sent to Dallas
Dec 8, 2015: NOA1 hard copy received - Notice dated Dec 1
Jan 16, 2016: NOA2 hard copy received- Noticed dated Jan 11

March 31, 2016: Interview- approved!

June 30, 2016: POE Boston

July 2, 2016: Married

AOS

July 7, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

July 18, 2016: NOA 1 hard copies received

August 11, 2016: Biometric walk in completed

September 22, 2016: EAD/AP Approval notice

November 14, 2017: AOS Interview- approved on the spot!

December 1, 2017: 2 year conditional green card received

ROC

September 16, 2019: I-751 sent

September 23, 2019: NOA1 and 18 month GC extension letter received- packet headed to Vermont

July 25, 2020: Approved, no interview

I'm beginning the AOS process and have a question concerning the I-864.

I've read that they want to see a history of income above the poverty threshold (or 125% of the poverty guidelines). My 2014 and 2015 exceed the limit, but my 2013 does not. My current salary also exceeds the limit, and I have savings that exceed the yearly limit. Will this be enough to avoid an RFE? or should I also add a joint sponsor?

I may be a little paranoid, but I figure it's better to ask for advice now than wait until after I file. The ony wrong question is the one you don't ask, right?

Thanks in advance!

As long as your salary as the date of filling exceeds the poverty line, you're fine. I would include all 3 tax returns, and if you want to ease your mind, a current employment letter stating that your salary and your position signed by your supervisor is also a good way to go.

K-1 Journey: 309 days from received to POE (TSC)

[september 11, 2014] - I-129F received by USCIS

[september 15, 2014] - NOA1
[May 27, 2015] - NOA2
[July 9, 2015] - I N T E R V I E W! (APPROVED!)
[July 13, 2015] - Issued
[July 14, 2015] - Visa in hand
[July 16, 2015] - POE JFK

AOS Journey: 169 days from received to GC in hand (NSC)

Spoiler

[July 17, 2015] - Successfully applied for SSN

[July 18, 2015] - Sent out AOS package

[July 21, 2015] - Received

[July 24, 2015] - NOA1 (3x)

[August 18, 2015] - Biometrics

[september 19, 2015] - EAD/AP approval (63 days)

[september 24, 2015] - EAD/AP Received

[January 6, 2016] - Green Card approved without interview(166 days)

[January 12, 2016] - Received Green Card

ROC journey starts: October 2017

ROC Journey: 419 days (VSC)

[October 30, 2017] - Sent package

[November 3, 2017] - NOA1

[November 18, 2017] - Biometrics letter received

[December 5, 2017] - Biometrics

[December 18, 2018] - Card is being produced (no interview)

[December 22, 2018] - Received Green Card

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Anyone who had their medicals in Stockholm? Im having mine on August 2nd and was just wondering how picky they are with the vaccinations because apparently all my records have been removed from the Child health center AND from the schools that I've attended(?). I'm born in Sweden and have lived here my entire life and also recieved my vaccinations according to the program. I talked to one person who had his medical in Gothenburg and the doctor said that "people from first world countries don't really need them", but I have no idea about how picky the doctor here in Stockholm is?

Timeline

Anyone who had their medicals in Stockholm? Im having mine on August 2nd and was just wondering how picky they are with the vaccinations because apparently all my records have been removed from the Child health center AND from the schools that I've attended(?). I'm born in Sweden and have lived here my entire life and also recieved my vaccinations according to the program. I talked to one person who had his medical in Gothenburg and the doctor said that "people from first world countries don't really need them", but I have no idea about how picky the doctor here in Stockholm is?

I'm having mine done next week and I seem to be in the same situation as you. Have you tried with landstingsarkivet? https://www.landstingsarkivet.sll.se/

I will likely have to let them test my blood and see what anti-bodies I have, and then get any missing vaccinations. I can post an update next week around this time.

February 15th: Submitted I-129f.

February 19th: Electronic NOA1

February 23rd: Hardcopy NOA1

April 22nd: RFE

April 23rd: Submitted RFE response

April 28th: RFE received by USCIS

May 19th: Approved. Electronic NOA2

May 24th: Hardcopy NOA2

June 8th: NVC receive case

June 10th: NVC assign case number

June 17th: E-mail from US embassy in Stockholm

June 20th: Discover that J1 visa 2-year home residency rule not fulfilled. Filing for waiver of the 2-year rule.

June 30th: Sent documents for 2-year rule waiver to the Waiver Review Division at the Department of State.

June 30th: Sent documents to Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. for No Objection Statement regarding 2-year rule.

July 6th: Medical examination in Stockholm.

---> July 14th: Interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm. Approved. Waiver for 2-year rule required before visa can be handed out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

If you are absolutely sure you can't get them from anywhere and you didn't keep records yourself than I would recommend having blood tests to check what antibodies you have. If you have had chickenpox a verbal "I had this at this age/year" is fine.

Don't know how picky they are but it would be better to be prepared than go there and end up possibly getting vaccinated for things you are already vaccinated against just because you can't prove you were. I had not gotten a new tetanus shot within the last 10 years and I had to get that.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thank you for all your replies!! Im gonna call my GP first thing tomorrow and see if I can have them do it for me before the medical since it said that they charge extra for the bloodtests... I know I have to pay for the vaccines but if I can get that done at the GP it'll probably be cheaper and I dont think I have to pay for the bloodtests

Timeline

Thank you for all your replies!! Im gonna call my GP first thing tomorrow and see if I can have them do it for me before the medical since it said that they charge extra for the bloodtests... I know I have to pay for the vaccines but if I can get that done at the GP it'll probably be cheaper and I dont think I have to pay for the bloodtests

If you can just get the blood test for the MMR, you are probably good. If there is no record of you having the TD vaccination, you are probably due for a booster anyway.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

To all of you that have medical´s coming up in Stockholm. I was not able to get a hold of any of my vacination records so I asked to have a "immunitetstest". We went through my medical files that I had brought and the notes from my doctor´s. The vacination that I got that day was "MPR" and after a few days I recieved an e-mail that the blood test showed I needed a "Boostrix", which I got back home so no need to go back to the clinic in Stockholm for that. For me, the total was 5,500sek, and that includes the chest x-ray.

I got a bit confused when I went for my x-ray because there are so many buildings. Make sure you go to building "M" :) .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.