Pistons_09

Got Engaged and then court married...What to do now?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

First timer here.

My fiance lives in India. We got engaged, and then we got court married (thinking it would speed up the process). Unfortunately, now we have realized that K3 times take longer than K1.

Yes, I realize it was a grave mistake. I feel terrible about it but cannot undue the past My heart aches everytime I think about it. :crying:

My questions:

1) If we apply for the K1 visa even though we are married legally in India...Will we be found out? I'm not sure how marriage records are searched/accessed in India. Is the time saved not worth the risk?

2) If we do the K3 visa, can she try for a visitor's visa? If so, when should she apply, before or after I start the paperwork for K3? (ie, What gives her the greatest chance of success to obtain a visitor's visa. I know its hard once she states she is married to a US citizen, but its worth a shot)

Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
First timer here.

My fiance lives in India. We got engaged, and then we got court married (thinking it would speed up the process). Unfortunately, now we have realized that K3 times take longer than K1.

Yes, I realize it was a grave mistake. I feel terrible about it but cannot undue the past My heart aches everytime I think about it. :crying:

My questions:

1) If we apply for the K1 visa even though we are married legally in India...Will we be found out? I'm not sure how marriage records are searched/accessed in India. Is the time saved not worth the risk?

2) If we do the K3 visa, can she try for a visitor's visa? If so, when should she apply, before or after I start the paperwork for K3? (ie, What gives her the greatest chance of success to obtain a visitor's visa. I know its hard once she states she is married to a US citizen, but its worth a shot)

Thank you so much.

If you're married she's no longer your fiancee, but now you're wife. You cannot apply for a fiancee visa because you don't have one, you have a spouse, hence the K3.

What do you mean by "found out"? Are you serious?

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
First timer here.

My questions:

Thank you so much.

Brilliant! Getting married to "speed up" a fiancee visa. Why didn't I think of that?

1) Most likely, YES. And when you do your K-1 will be denied and you will both be barred, minimum 3 years, maybe 10 years, maybe for life, from applying for or petitioning any other visa

2) Yes she can apply. You are all ready married, it will not matter if she applies before or after filing for the visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
First timer here.

My questions:

Thank you so much.

So you are considering misrepresentation on immigration forms? not a good way to start ... if found out it would be deportation for the alien and a probable lifetime ban to re-entry.... I say... go for it... :blink:

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Uhm, dude.. if you married her, she's not your fiancee anymore, so filing for the fiance visa is considered fraud. I say go for the K3. Might take longer, yes. But I believe it's a little bit faster after that when she finally enters the United States. So it works out either way, yes? That's what I believe. Don't quote me, I'm not sure on that! :P

As for a visitor's visa, I believe she *CAN* file for one, she just has to show intent of returning back to India, such as a current job, a return ticket, etc, something like a person travelling on the Visa Waiver Program. I mean, the process takes a loooooong time. You don't expect a couple to not see each other (or at least to not long for each other!) during that time. She should probably speak to the consulate (or wherever she files for travel documents) regarding this issue.

Good luck! :D

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys thanks for the replies. After getting over the initial shock, I think we are OK with it. Whatever happened has happened, there is absolutely no sense in risking the rest of our lives for 3 months. Thanks to everyone for helping me see straight!

We will still try the visitor's visa route, but will probably do after the process for K3. Figure the chances of her getting the visitor's visa is the same anyways (and I realize its slim) so might as well get the ball rolling for K3. Unless anyone thinks differently?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

You are thinking like a smuggler.

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

Hey guys thanks for the replies. After getting over the initial shock, I think we are OK with it. Whatever happened has happened, there is absolutely no sense in risking the rest of our lives for 3 months. Thanks to everyone for helping me see straight!

We will still try the visitor's visa route, but will probably do after the process for K3. Figure the chances of her getting the visitor's visa is the same anyways (and I realize its slim) so might as well get the ball rolling for K3. Unless anyone thinks differently?

Good, you have seen the light.

By all means, try for the visitors visa. I would probably think since you going for the K-3, the odds of getting the visitors visa is pretty slim, but they are zero if you do not try.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You have 2 choices, you can file the CR1 or the K3.....the K1 is no longer valid for you.

Have moved to the K3 forum for further assistance as this is not a K1 issue

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.