Techbrarian

Confused about CR1 and SS Card

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband got here at the end of January and we've been waiting patiently for his SS Card to come in the mail and it hasn't. We DID receive his Green Card just last week.

Can he work without the SS Card, using the Green Card instead, or do we have to wait on it still?

AND

####### is taking so long and where should we call to find out. :huh:

Thanks!

- Sam

Met online May 2006

Sam arrives in Sofia: December 08, 2007 (first kiss)

Married: December 21, 2007

Sam returns to US to continue grad school: January 08, 2008

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

Sent off I-130 February 04, 2008, arrived and signed for February 5, 2008

NOA1 2/20/2008

Sam flys to Bulgaria again, this time to spend 2 months with Metodi 5/01/08 - 6/28/08

Case trasferred to CSC for processing 8/26/08

CASE APPROVED at CSC!!! 9/16/2008

NVC SLIGHTLY LESS HELLISH JOURNEY (BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY)

Paid I-864 fee online, Paid evil IV fee thingie

Metodi sends DSwhatever email making Sam AGENT007

ALL the DS230 and I-864 Docs are in hand, in order, and were mailed 11/5/2008!

I-864 and DS-230 packets delivered: 10:45 AM 11/06/08. Signed for by R AUSTIN.

RFE received in mail for Military Records (that cannot leave the country of Bulgaria!) 11/20/08

NVC finally figures out that their RFE was a mistake and CASE COMPLETE AT NVC 12/08/08

EMBASSY

Sam flew to Bulgaria for Metodi's interview. 01/23/09

Metodi Approved at Embassy in Sofia, Bulgaria 01/26/09

Metodi Received VISA and other documents 01/28/09

Metodi lands in USA, POE: Charlotte, NC 01/31/09

Metodi receives Green Card 02/23/09

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Package delivered Nov 04, 2010 SAINT ALBANS, VT to INS . Signed for by D RENAUD.

Nov 10, 2010 - USCIS cashed our check finally: AUTOMATED CHECK VSC FIELD OFFICE PAYMENT 1102 $545.00

NOA Received Nov 12 - Receipt Date on NOA - 11/05/10

Biometrics - 12/08/10 Charleston, WV Field Office

10yr Permanent Resident Card Issued - 3/18/11

Congrats!

He probably will at least need a social security NUMBER in order to work, even if he doesn't necessarily have to show the card itself. He may be requested to show the card, too. Anyway, if this is his first time to get a SSN, he probably has no way of knowing his number until they send him the card.

Go to http://www.ssa.gov and figure out your nearest local SSA office. Call them up and/or visit them to figure out what to do.

Checking the appropriate boxes on the immigration forms to have a SS number assigned automatically upon CR-1 entry seems to work most of the time (it worked for us), but I've also heard quite a few reports of it failing. It's most definitely not guaranteed. So don't keep waiting indefinitely, call them and see what's up.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

From what I have seen CR-1 visas tend to not get an SSN automatically, you will need to visit SSA office and apply for one.

Many employers will give you up to 30 days to produce the SSN card for them to be able to collect income tax.

Moving to moving and life in USA.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

According to this he can just use his Green Card:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Permanent_Resident

I guess I'll have to call the SS Card office in Roanoke and see what's up. We DID send in an AR-11 since my mom's address in KY was on all the forms and now we live in VA. The Green Card went to mom's. I guess what we need in order to fill out for the SS Card is just his foreign passport AND his Green Card?

Need to rectify the work situation soon, husband is getting ansy sitting about all day with nothing to do but clean house and play with the cat. :wacko:

From what I have seen CR-1 visas tend to not get an SSN automatically, you will need to visit SSA office and apply for one.

Many employers will give you up to 30 days to produce the SSN card for them to be able to collect income tax.

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

Sam flys to Bulgaria again, this time to spend 2 months with Metodi 5/01/08 - 6/28/08

RFE received in mail for Military Records (that cannot leave the country of Bulgaria!) 11/20/08

NVC finally figures out that their RFE was a mistake and CASE COMPLETE AT NVC 12/08/08

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Package delivered Nov 04, 2010 SAINT ALBANS, VT to INS . Signed for by D RENAUD.

Nov 10, 2010 - USCIS cashed our check finally: AUTOMATED CHECK VSC FIELD OFFICE PAYMENT 1102 $545.00

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
According to this he can just use his Green Card:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Permanent_Resident

I guess I'll have to call the SS Card office in Roanoke and see what's up. We DID send in an AR-11 since my mom's address in KY was on all the forms and now we live in VA. The Green Card went to mom's. I guess what we need in order to fill out for the SS Card is just his foreign passport AND his Green Card?

Need to rectify the work situation soon, husband is getting ansy sitting about all day with nothing to do but clean house and play with the cat. :wacko:

Most of the CR-1/IR-1 applicants have to go to SS office and file for SSN. I did the same, your husband can go there just with his passport. They will just need the Alien registration number from his passport, give them your new address adn you should get SSN within 2 weeks in mail.

Would have been really nice to know this on the day he got here...sigh. 1.5 months of wasted time waiting for this #######. Going to the SS office tomorrow or Wednesday. Adding this ####### to my wiki about immigration.... :angry:

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Timeline
Would have been really nice to know this on the day he got here...sigh. 1.5 months of wasted time waiting for this #######. Going to the SS office tomorrow or Wednesday. Adding this ####### to my wiki about immigration.... :angry:

Don't worry, you said your husband did receive his GC. So that means USCIS has processed your husband's file and I do think that indicates that he has a SSN ready already. Maybe they just don't post SSN to CR-1 filers.

If you go tomorrow and SSN is already in the system, you will get it the same day.

Best wishes (F)

Sorry to hear you waited that long, but do not get too annoyed. Save your nerves. It happens all the time. When I went to see what happened with my SSN, I was not even in the system a month later, and I got here on CR1 too. Then, they wanted to send my international version of birth certificate to be translated! :rofl:

Good news is that your husband can apply locally. Just bring passport (green card), birth certificate (in English or international version), fill out a form, and he should get his SSN card in 10 business days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes CR-1s get the SSN right away in the mail, others have to attend the office for it to show up.

But the good thing is that he should already have a # assigned, so they'll be able to print off a piece of paper with his # on it. And one should arrive in the mail in 7-10 days once you head into the office.

The same thing happened to me. But mine got lost in the mail 2x for 2 months. Finally got it though. :thumbs:

Timeline

Sorry to hear you waited that long, but do not get too annoyed. Save your nerves. It happens all the time. When I went to see what happened with my SSN, I was not even in the system a month later, and I got here on CR1 too. Then, they wanted to send my international version of birth certificate to be translated! :rofl:

Good news is that your husband can apply locally. Just bring passport (green card), birth certificate (in English or international version), fill out a form, and he should get his SSN card in 10 business days.

?? what's the need of birth certificate? I was never asked for BC while applying SSN.

?? what's the need of birth certificate? I was never asked for BC while applying SSN.

They asked me for one...but it seems you are right because according to their site:

"Age

You must present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, we can consider other documents, such as your passport or a document issued by DHS, to prove your age."

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10096.html

We called the national SS hotline Monday. And I'd like to complain about how impossible it would be for a foreign born person to use. VOICE not NUMERIC entering of information! It couldn't even understand me spelling M-E-T-O-D-I, let alone anyone with a real accent. ALSO even though all the options I chose before showed that he obviously didn't have a SSN the first voice question asks for a SSN... I spent 10 minutes verbally abusing the AI before she gave up and went to question #2. I don't think normal folks would bother, they'd hang up!

Anyway, they said he had no record in the system and that we needed to go to the 'local' office.

We drove to Roanoke (I missed 4 hours of work), and we took the Green Card, Passport and a translated Birth Certificate that we had from our returned NVC docs from the Embassy times. Metodi says that the guy just acknowledged that he had is BC and looked at it vaguely. I'm not sure if it was necessary to bring it or not. 2 weeks till SSN so the SS Office says...

So much for all that hype at the Embassy about checking this box or that for your damn SSN! Liars! Anywhoo back to catching up on the 4 hours of work I missed. Thanks for all the help guys. ;)

<3 Sam

Met online May 2006

USCIS HELL-JOURNEY

NOA1 2/20/2008

EMBASSY

Removing Conditions

Sent I-175 Nov 3, 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We called the national SS hotline Monday. And I'd like to complain about how impossible it would be for a foreign born person to use. VOICE not NUMERIC entering of information! It couldn't even understand me spelling M-E-T-O-D-I, let alone anyone with a real accent. ALSO even though all the options I chose before showed that he obviously didn't have a SSN the first voice question asks for a SSN... I spent 10 minutes verbally abusing the AI before she gave up and went to question #2. I don't think normal folks would bother, they'd hang up!

Anyway, they said he had no record in the system and that we needed to go to the 'local' office.

We drove to Roanoke (I missed 4 hours of work), and we took the Green Card, Passport and a translated Birth Certificate that we had from our returned NVC docs from the Embassy times. Metodi says that the guy just acknowledged that he had is BC and looked at it vaguely. I'm not sure if it was necessary to bring it or not. 2 weeks till SSN so the SS Office says...

So much for all that hype at the Embassy about checking this box or that for your damn SSN! Liars! Anywhoo back to catching up on the 4 hours of work I missed. Thanks for all the help guys. ;)

<3 Sam

most of us thathave checked off that box do NOT get the SSN automatically! have to head over to the SSN office and apply!! my SSN card arrived 1 week after applying!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

How long do you recommend waiting to apply for the SSN after POE?

create_maleScene.jpg

USCIS *CR-1 Visa*

2008-07-26 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-02 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Peru Approved

2009-04-08 : POE Atlanta (256 days from sending I-130)

USCIS *Removal of Conditions*

2011-02-28 : Mailed I-751

2011-03-02 : USPS Delivery Confirmation

2011-03-10 : Check Cashed

2011-03-11 : Touched

2011-03-25 : USCIS confirmed they did not mail NOA 1, given case number

2011-04-05 : Infopass appointment passport stamped with I-551

2011-04-19 : Walk in Biometrics completed (2 weeks early)

2011-05-03 : Biometrics appointment (3 year anniversary)

2011-08-25 : Approved

2011-08-31 : Card in hand (184 days after sending I-751)

*Application for Naturalization*

2012-03-24 : Mailed N-400

2012-03-26 : NOA1

2012-03-29 : Check Cashed

2012-05-14 : Biometrics Appointment

2012-06-04 : Interview Letter

2012-07-09 : Interview in Raleigh, NC (Passed)

2012-07-20 : Oath Ceremony (119 days after sending N-400)

[/center]

How long do you recommend waiting to apply for the SSN after POE?

I applied for SSN after I got my Green Card. I'm living in Kansas but able to file application in Las Vegas using my GC and passport while visiting my cousins there. I used my cousin's address and got my SSN card in the mail after 5 business days. :)

Never ever say never

2207121_unsignedChar_1192234183843.jpgDSCF4044.jpg

an1cvdN0akF0610MTUzbHN8MDAwMDEzZGF8QWZ0ZXIgb3VyIEkgRG9zIC4gLiAuIA.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.