DrayChan

Mail System

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hello,

Here is my situation, my fiance lives in Cambodia, in a town near the Thai border, I tried mailing her some pictures to see how well it works. Well, that was almost a month ago now and she has still not recieved it. I am worried that she will not recieve the embassy packet if the embassy uses the address I gave them. Does anybody have any ideas on how I should handle this to make sure she gets the packet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dar

Hello,

Here is my situation, my fiance lives in Cambodia, in a town near the Thai border, I tried mailing her some pictures to see how well it works. Well, that was almost a month ago now and she has still not recieved it. I am worried that she will not recieve the embassy packet if the embassy uses the address I gave them. Does anybody have any ideas on how I should handle this to make sure she gets the packet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dar

Perhaps a package service like DHL or FedEx?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Wow, sorry the mail is an issue for you, but haven't you planned visiting for the interview? that way you take the package and it might help her getting the visa.

Good luck,

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

Timeline
Wow, sorry the mail is an issue for you, but haven't you planned visiting for the interview? that way you take the package and it might help her getting the visa.

Good luck,

Yeah, I plan on going there for the Interview, but I need to get to that step first. Won't she need to fill out some forms that the embassy will send her? I am worried about her getting those forms. As for Mailings from me, I have figured out that I will have to send to a friend In the capital city, then hire a taxi to take it to her.

I sent it USPS international express mail, she did not get it. It was supposeed to be delivery within 7-10 business days. I also sent one regular snail mail a month ago, and she has not seen anything yet.

The packet from the embasy, is it just the DS-156, DS-156K, and the DS-230? If so I will send it through the my friend.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Dar

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good luck,

Yeah, I plan on going there for the Interview, but I need to get to that step first. Won't she need to fill out some forms that the embassy will send her? I am worried about her getting those forms. As for Mailings from me, I have figured out that I will have to send to a friend In the capital city, then hire a taxi to take it to her.

I sent it USPS international express mail, she did not get it. It was supposeed to be delivery within 7-10 business days. I also sent one regular snail mail a month ago, and she has not seen anything yet.

The packet from the embasy, is it just the DS-156, DS-156K, and the DS-230? If so I will send it through the my friend.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Dar

Does she get other mail at home? Just normal, domestic service for routine things? If so, it should be ok.

I can appreciate that mail service to remote rural villages may be spotty, at least compared to what we're used to in the US.

My suggestion would be to use a friend's address in the city (Pnomh Penh?) , as you yourself suggest. Or maybe open a mailbox at a shop there?

E.g. http://www.yellowpages-cambodia.com/busine...roup-30079.html

Perhaps the US Embassy in Cambodia can give you some advice, since you're hardly the first to have a fiancee in a rural village.

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Contact the consulate:

All new immigrant, diversity and fiancée visa interviews will continue to be handled by appointment only. As before, applicants will be individually notified of their processing schedule. Public inquiries regarding Cambodian immigrant, diversity or fiancée visas inquiries should be directed to visasphp@state.gov.

http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

YMMV

I am totally amazed that mail is delivered in the Philippines. Any mail with money in it gets lost :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

That's what I'm afraid of also. My wife lives in Laos. Not too far from the capital. I plan to tell her to go pick it up at the embassy if they allow it. From what she told me, whenever she gets mail, it stays at the local post office and she goes and pick it up from there. They don't deliver it like they do here. I think she says they call her if she gets something. A couple of weeks ago she sent me a package and it took 3 weeks to get to me here in the US. Cost her half a months salary too. I'm not even sure if I wrote her address on the I-129 correctly either and she changed her phone number after I had already written it down on the form. It'll be a miracle if she gets it or knows about it.

So maybe your wife can go and pick it up if that's possible. I think that would be a sure bet. I'm not sure how far she is from the capital but I would imagine that any hardship doing it would be short lived and worth the hassle at that point in time. Hopefully won't be that much longer til she's finally with you. Good luck.

11-24-08 sent i-129 (VSC)

12-05-08 check cashed

12-08-08 received NOA 1

03-23-09 i-129f approved per online status - no email notice

03-31-09 recieved NOA 2

04-01-09 NVC IN

04-02-09 NVC OUT

04-10-09 to 05-01-09 2nd visit to Laos

04-23-09 Arrives at USEM

05-04-09 fiancee picks up packet at USEM

05-12, 6-12 and 7-13 Medical

09-30-09 Interview - Passed but they wanted copy of my passport of the 2nd visit

10-08-09 Visa issued

10-18-09 POE - Newark, NJ

10-26-09 Applied for marriage license

10-31-09 Recd license

11-13-09 Wedding

11-16-09 Applied for SSN

11-21-09 Recd SSN

12-05-09 Sent AOS

I am totally amazed that mail is delivered in the Philippines. Any mail with money in it gets lost :blink:

Vietnam's mail tends to be spotty in terms of delivery. As with the OP, I was initially worried about my fiancee receiving mail in her village but after sending cards and letters for many months, I know that mail from the US takes 10-30 days to be delivered. So it DOES arrive, just not predictably. Hopefully they can get mail from HCM to her village 4 hours away without great delay. I plan to wait 4-5 days after they say they have mailed packet 3 for her to receive it. If she does not, I will e-mail the consulate and ask if she can come by and pick it up in person.

I do not send packages or money in the mail. Not worth it. If they lose a letter, no problem.

Also, a heads-up for anyone whose fiancee lives in a small rural village in a developing country. They do not get or send a lot of mail and there is no postman. If they do not go to the post office and ask, the mail may just sit for a long time. The "post office" is a room in someone's house in the middle of the village.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello,

Thanks,

Dar

I lived in Ukraine two years and believe me, I have never said another bad word about the USPS. LOL

Go to the website and download packet 3, we never have received ours and my wife is sitting nest to me with her green card in her wallet. We still have the flat in Donetsk and my MIL checks on it and the packet 3 has YET to arrive. In the tie I lived there my mother sent me a letter every week...I received 2 letters in two years. Mail delivery is really iffy in most of the world in my experience.

PS my wife is shocked we have those rural mailboxes with no locks! LOL Most of the mailbox locks in Ukraine have been broken since 1954, so waht's the difference?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Hello,

Thanks,

Dar

My fiance also lives in cambodia and we just sent packet-3 back to embassy today! What happened was they sent packet-3 to me in the states,with instruction sheet saying mail ds-230 part-1 and I-134 affidavit of support with W-2 1040 ect.to embassay as soon as possible! I filled out everything for her and sent to her to sign using FED-EX took only 5 days to reach her.regular mail takes 3 to 4 weeks normally.

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks,

Dar

My fiance also lives in cambodia and we just sent packet-3 back to embassy today! What happened was they sent packet-3 to me in the states,with instruction sheet saying mail ds-230 part-1 and I-134 affidavit of support with W-2 1040 ect.to embassay as soon as possible! I filled out everything for her and sent to her to sign using FED-EX took only 5 days to reach her.regular mail takes 3 to 4 weeks normally.

Did you have to request this at the embassy or did they just send it to you?

Hello,

Thanks,

Dar

they just sent to me, I also thought that they would send to her. If you want copy, send me your e-mail

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks,

Dar

they just sent to me, I also thought that they would send to her. If you want copy, send me your e-mail

Thanks Gregaz, and thanks to everyone with your suggestions.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello,

Thanks,

Dar

What a coincidence, my wife lives in Thailand close to the Cambodian border lol. Anyways, we had the same situation with mail. I mailed my wife like 3 letters when she was living in a bigger city which she never received. I was told the U.S. Postal system will deliver it to the country, the problem comes into play when it reaches that country, their postal system usually just throws the mail away if it doesn't look too important, possibly because you may have only wrote it in English and they can't read it, don't really know. What you'd have to do is use a carrier such as FedEx, UPS, DHL, there's another one a friend of mine from Thailand uses I believe its called TNT (not the explosive or TV Channel). You should be able to get it through at least I was told it would get to it's final destination, the only thing is that it is generally a lot more expensive to go through those carriers than USPS but at least your package/letter will arrive at it's final destination. I know this doesn't fully answer your question but it should steer you in the right direction.

jurod16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.