cfbgc

Married twice--any advice?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a little advice and from the postings I've read on here, you all seem really nice and knowledgeable.

My husband and I were married in May 2005. However, his passport was about to expire so in early April 2005, he sent it to the embassy to be renewed. By the day of our wedding, the passport had not been returned and we couldn’t get a marriage license. We had a huge wedding ceremony and reception that day and consider it to be our wedding day—plus all our friends and family think it’s our wedding day and all our wedding pictures were taken that day. However, we didn’t receive his passport and weren’t able to get a marriage license until JULY. So our marriage date as far as USCIS knows is in July.

As I was looking at the “practice questions” here, I started thinking "what do we say?" Do we tell the whole long story or just kind of lie and say we had the wedding and reception in July? I don’t want them to think we lied about our wedding date--which one do you think we should use?

Thanks for your help!

2/21/2006: Sent I-130, I-485 and I-765 to USCIS

3/10/2006: USCIS sends receipt notice for I-130

4/5/2006: USCIS sends recipt notice for I-485 and I-765

4/20/2006: USCIS Biometrics Appt.

5/30/2006: USCIS approves I-130

7/13/2006: I-485 Interview Scheduled!

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a little advice and from the postings I've read on here, you all seem really nice and knowledgeable.

My husband and I were married in May 2005. However, his passport was about to expire so in early April 2005, he sent it to the embassy to be renewed. By the day of our wedding, the passport had not been returned and we couldn’t get a marriage license. We had a huge wedding ceremony and reception that day and consider it to be our wedding day—plus all our friends and family think it’s our wedding day and all our wedding pictures were taken that day. However, we didn’t receive his passport and weren’t able to get a marriage license until JULY. So our marriage date as far as USCIS knows is in July.

As I was looking at the “practice questions” here, I started thinking "what do we say?" Do we tell the whole long story or just kind of lie and say we had the wedding and reception in July? I don’t want them to think we lied about our wedding date--which one do you think we should use?

Thanks for your help!

Do not lie about any dates...!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tell them the truth- that you had planned a big wedding but that the necessary documents (passport) weren't back in time so you went ahead with the ceremony and reception as planned, then had the 'legal' ceremony in July. You shouldn't have any problems:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree. Tell the truth

Alison (F)

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ditto, don't lie to the government, they know all anyway. You will be surprised what they pull out of your files.

Also you take an oath before the interview that you will tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Although you had a huge party for the family and, to all intense and purpose, consider the earlier date to be the day you married, legally you did not marry until July and this is all they are interested in - the date you became legally married to your partner.

Nobody but the USCIS official is going to know your answer to this question - the rest of your family and friends are not going with you to the interview - they are not going to know any different.

Good luck with everything.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Timeline
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help!

How did you record your date of marriage on the forms you've already filed?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Other Timeline

you have to give them the legal date you married, because you do have to give them a copy of your legal marriage certificate, they know it anyway.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Well i dont see the problem :huh: you got married in July, so thats the date you say you got married, RIGHT??............or did i miss something?? :unsure:

you didnt realy get married in May as you didnt have a licence, you just went through the motions!!!

Edited by euro

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

I agree, don't lie, just explain the situation to the officer when you have your interview. THey'll want to see your wedding photos, so show them to them. A lot of people here have a small wedding then a big wedding, I don't see what's wrong with doing it the other way around! I really don't see why they would care or how it could hurt you. I think the only way you could run into problems is if you lie. Just make sure that all your paperwork matches (ie the dates on your application and your marriage certificate)

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Assuming both "marriages" took place in the US and your spouse did not leave the US in between the two dates --

I would tell them that you had the wedding ceremony in May and the legal marriage in July.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Your official wedding is the date considered on your marriage cert. thats the only date that USCIS is looking for so if you go and lie and say May, you are digging yourself a big deep hole.

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Don't lie, just explain the situation.

October 30, 2005 - Married in Vegas

December 27, 2005 - EAD, AP, AOS mailed

January 4, 2006 - received in Chicago

January 27, 2006 - RFE for medical received

February 13, 2006 - Medical received

February 15, 2006 - Biometrics appointment at 10 am

March 1, 2006 - AP touched

March 4, 2006 - AP received

March 8, 2006 - EAD received

March 29, 2006 - interview notice received - May 31, 2006

May 31, 2006 - Successful interview!!! Approved

June 12, 2006 - Green card received

Feb 28, 2008 - will be sending removal of conditions docs.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Lying is never a good thing, tell the truth even if it is a long story. Plus it isn't uncommon for these types of things to happen, especially in other countries. My husband and I had our wedding party on a Saturday because we wanted his sister to be with us because she had to return home on Sunday and couldn't wait any longer. She had already waited 3 weeks with us. It wasn't until the next Monday we finally were married in Morocco and then the next day (Tuesday) before we could get the wedding certificate at the court house. In some ways all three dates are are wedding date, lol. I know your time frame is longer but it's for a very good reason you had to wait for a passport and they should understand this.

I wish you good luck,

Paula

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Always go with the legal dates! It's as simple as that. It's what is on your marriage certificate, so anything else doesn't matter, except for sentimental reasons.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.