ladyspotthedog

Funny concepts that people have.......

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

LMAO to 'Do you live in igloos?" 'Do you use dogsleds? ........got that one a few times and when asked where I'm from and I say 'Newfoundland', they say 'Finland?', 'New Zealand?'

But the best is 'Do you use outhouses?' lol............'Sure, if we're lucky enough to find one when we're camping!!!' Another one is 'You live on an Island?? Aren't you afraid you're going to sink??!!'.........Our 'Island's' population is approx 556,000 (a little over a half million) and it takes 10 hours to drive to the other side. I live a rock's throw from the ocean........nope I'm not afraid of sinking...lol

Folks if you ever want to know about Newfoundland and Labrador, I recommend a great book written by an American, Jim DeFede just after 9/11............it will tell you about the most beautiful people you would ever want to meet (not trying to pat myself on the back.....it's a well-known fact :yes: ) It's called THE DAY THE WORLD CAME TO TOWN..............all about the planes landing here when the US airspace closed down. I am so proud to be a Newfoundlander/Canadian, but just as proud to be marrying the sweetest American God ever put on this earth. And we love learning about each other (yes, he read the book and has passed it on to family and friends).................{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

PS...........Love this thread :dancing:

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO to 'Do you live in igloos?" 'Do you use dogsleds? ........got that one a few times and when asked where I'm from and I say 'Newfoundland', they say 'Finland?', 'New Zealand?'

But the best is 'Do you use outhouses?' lol............'Sure, if we're lucky enough to find one when we're camping!!!' Another one is 'You live on an Island?? Aren't you afraid you're going to sink??!!'.........Our 'Island's' population is approx 556,000 (a little over a half million) and it takes 10 hours to drive to the other side. I live a rock's throw from the ocean........nope I'm not afraid of sinking...lol

Folks if you ever want to know about Newfoundland and Labrador, I recommend a great book written by an American, Jim DeFede just after 9/11............it will tell you about the most beautiful people you would ever want to meet (not trying to pat myself on the back.....it's a well-known fact :yes: ) It's called THE DAY THE WORLD CAME TO TOWN..............all about the planes landing here when the US airspace closed down. I am so proud to be a Newfoundlander/Canadian, but just as proud to be marrying the sweetest American God ever put on this earth. And we love learning about each other (yes, he read the book and has passed it on to family and friends).................{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

PS...........Love this thread :dancing:

GANDER ROCKS!!!! Been there several times.... the most fun I've had in Canadian territory! There's nothing like having a two hour layover, a big bottle of hooch, and nothing to do...... OH CANADA.... OH CANADA....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

LMAO.................Gander is central Newfoundland.................Stephenville is Western (my home) . Glad you enjoyed our wonderful province...............{{{{HUGS}}}]

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

March 24 - Medical

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

LOL this is all so funny!

I met my fiance online and some of his friends used to ask if I had eletricity!!!! :lol:

People used to think that it was easy to see monkeys and snakes everywhere here too!! Or that we didn't have running water.... they wondered if we had cars!!! If we had malls!!

They basically thought I lived in a jungle!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Turns out that in our relationship..... I'm the big city girl and he's the small town boy! :yes:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Timeline
LOL this is all so funny!

I met my fiance online and some of his friends used to ask if I had eletricity!!!! :lol:

People used to think that it was easy to see monkeys and snakes everywhere here too!! Or that we didn't have running water.... they wondered if we had cars!!! If we had malls!!

They basically thought I lived in a jungle!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Turns out that in our relationship..... I'm the big city girl and he's the small town boy! :yes:

LOL I can relate to the above..........I'm also the big city girl and he's the small town boy!!!.. I live in a town of about 8,000 people (a small town to my way of thinking) and when Bruce first came here, he told me I was a 'big city girl' and I laughed until I went to his town........ :yes: I'm definitely 'big city'......gotta love it.......{{{{HUGS}}}

March 24 - Medical

Nobody figure out where I'm from. Actually, no one seems to know where in the world is "Guyane" or "French Guyana". If you say Guyana, they think of the other Guyana. Does it make sense!?

Because I'm sort of a mixture of races (my father is French, my mother is from Guadeloupe, a "metisse" or "mulatre", white and black to summarize) People always think I'm Spanish (hispanic to be exact) and often come and talk to me in Spanish, which I unfortunately barely understand.

"Habla l'espanol?"

No.

"Where r u from?"

Guyana

"Guyana? Where is that?" :huh:

South America, North of Brazil

"You speak no spanish?"

French is the official language.

"Can you drive there?" :unsure:

Well, if you'd like to drive through the Amazonia forest :o

"It must be dangerous / creepy down there!! Have you seen Caymans, Anacondas? Jaguars, Pirhanas? Cobras?"

(you'll be lucky to see one)

"Do you sleep in a hamac?"

Yes, and naked too. Just kidding. I prefer my bed.

"Is it true than men and woman live naked?"

The Amerindiens? Not totally naked (they cover their private parts) Some of them are, occasionnaly... :P

"Do you eat monkeys?"

Amerindiens tribes may. Not me.

"Do you eat Iguanas?"

It's delicious. And they go :o:o

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

You have McDonalds? Yes

ESPN/HBO etc? No

How come you don't celebrate Thanksgiving? :huh:

etc etc ;)

Entry in the USA: May 13 2005

10 yr GC approved: October 5 2007

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Has anyone gotten THIS one?

My husband and I were in a drugstore and he asked the clerk a question, she answered, then asked where he was from. He told her England, and then she asked:

"You have blue traffic lights there instead of green, right?"

Huh?

Happy

Jayke

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Some questions I have been asked:

1. Do you know what Long John Silver's is?

2. Do you know what dryers are?

3. Isn't Singapore in China? :wacko:

4. Does it snow in Singapore? :unsure:

5. You never learned to drive?! How on earth did you get around in Singapore?! (When I elaborate on the public transportation system in Singapore, people still get baffled that I would actually take a bus to buy groceries because it seemed like too much work) :thumbs:

Well I met some Americans at a party in London; had just returned from India... well this bloke asks me if tigers roam the streets of delhi and I said yes... next question was where do you live? So I said in the trees. He said what do you eat for food? I replied that we ate fruit from the trees. He then asked what do the animals eat? I said fish and chips... it took him a while before he realised what I was trying to say :devil:

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i've been asked if we wear grass skirts?!!!

MARRIED MAY 2003

Submitted AOS July 2003

Received NOA August 2004

Several EADs in the process

Interview July 2005 (waiting on approval, & waiting & waiting *sigh* are we there yet?)

Submitted renewal of 3rd EAD Sept 05

Biometrics for EAD renewal Oct 26th (3 hour drive) even though there is an ASC 15 mins from my house... no appts available there :(

Oct 27th - Sent strong letter to District Director requesting a decision*** Hope this works :(

October 29th - Sent letter to congressman for help.

AOS Approved - Email Notice Nov 17th it's about bloody time... *sipping on my Guinness*

Nov 18th --- Welcome to America Letter received...

Nov 19th 10 year Green Card received in the mail.... Good bye USCIS .. until Citizenship

do you eat dog? no just horses...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Hey now....americans may not be the brightest bulbs, but i've had some pretty dumb questions about american life....

My cousins in Macedonia would ask me if i knew Michael Jackson (this was of course back in the day when he was "cool") and they just assumed that i was friends with celebrities like Tom Cruise........ because Wisconsin is sooooo close to LA!

I aint cool enough for a signature.....

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A friend of mine drove to California a few years back. When someone noticed the cord coming out of the hood of her car they asked what it was for. She said we plug our cars in during winter months so they don't freeze. The lady said 'Don't the cords get all tangled up on the roads?". She thought we kept them plugged in while we drove!

:lol::lol::lol: This is the funniest string I've read in a LONG time! Some people are soooo dense...

I-130F:

13 Feb. 2006 - sent I-130; 14 Feb. 2006 - I-130 received at Nebraska

28 Feb. 2006 - NOA-1

2 Mar. 2006 - RFE for payment problem; 3 Mar. - corrected & mailed; 6 Mar. - USCIS rec'd payment

12 June 2006 - APPROVED! (NOA-2)

20 June 2006 - case number assigned

3 July 2006 - DS-3032 and AOS Fee bill generated; 6 July - emailed DS-3032 Choice of Agent

13 July 2006 - Received DS-3032 (UK)

14 July 2006 - DS-3032 mailed to NVC

17 July 2006 - DS-3032 and AOS Fee received in mail

19 July 2006 - mailed Fee bill to NVC; recieved at NVC St. Louis facility 20 July

24 July 2006 - Received NVC choice of agent confirmation email

4th-8th Aug 2006 - Recieve IV bill. (non specific date recieved/away vacation)

10th Aug 2006 - NVC recieve IV Bill.

11th Aug 2006 - Recieved I-864 package / mailed back 15th Aug

I-129F:

6 Mar. 2006 - sent I-129F; 8 Mar. 2006 - I-129F received at USCIS

16 Mar. 2006 - NOA1

3 July 2006 - received RFE (IMBRA); 5 July 2006 - mailed RFE response

10 July 2006 - received USCIS email confirming receipt of RFE response

13 July 2006 - received RFE (IMBRA) AGAIN

17 July 2006 - mailed 2nd RFE response; received by USCIS 19 July

27 July 2006 - APPROVED!

7 Aug 2006 - case number assigned at NVC

11 Aug 2006 - Recieved NVC letter confirming case sent to london

23 Aug 2006 - Received Packet 3 / 25 Aug 2006 - Mailed back

04 Sep 2006 - Medical completed.

08 Sep 2006 - Interview date assigned for 2nd October

Although I'm the USC, I've been around when people have asked Craig some pretty dumb questions. I even had one friend warn him, "I'm gonna ask you some question ok?" In which he politely agreed. The she proceeded to ask, "Were you guys the red coats??" :o......... :lol: :lol: She still hasn't lived that one down :D

And I remember being on the phone with another friend of mine a couple years ago on New Years Eve. She asked me what Craig was doing, and I told her, "Oh, I think he has plans to go to a party." There was silence on the other end :unsure: then she asked, "They have parties in England??" Only after it came out did she realize how stupid it sounded.