LDora

A Canadian In America

21 posts in this topic

Well, I've been here for about a year and a half, so I guess I might as well place my experiences here for anyone curious.

Since we had such a big wedding and honeymoon (we figured "You only do it once"), we've had to delay filing for my AoS until now while we pay everything off. Naturally, this means I can't work. Another downside is that since the town I'm originally from was so small I never learned to drive -- I walked everywhere instead. Without a SSN, I can't even get a learner's, so I have to wait.

Not that I've been bored. My husband's only family here in Florida is his grandfather, who has been more than welcoming to me. He's always willing to take me to get groceries or even just "to get out of the house". He's a cool old guy originally from Chicago by way of Poland, retired army vet, and he's always curious about Canada (it's like the ONE place he never vacationed with his wife I think).

The thing that surprises me is how friendly everyone here becomes when they find out I'm from Canada. At one point we were at a restaurant with a polite if disinterested waitress, who asked casually where we were from. When I said I was originally from Canada, she IMMEDIATELY perked up and said "Really? Oh, my God! High five!" while looking thrilled. When I asked her if she'd ever been there, she replied enthusiastically, "No, but I heard it's AWESOME!" Things like this happen a lot, since I have to use my passport for ID. When we went to see a movie recently on our anniversary vacation, we stopped at a bar in the lobby, and when I showed my ID the bartender immediately became much friendlier, chatting with us for fifteen minutes while he made our drinks, asking everything about what I thought of America. I think it's funny and sweet that people seem to have such a good opinion of Canada here.

Likewise, there are naturally the weird questions. People mean well, but to some being from Canada is as good as being from another planet. I've been asked if we have strawberries in Canada, if they have indoor plumbing, if all the police ride horses, and, yes, once, if I knew "this awesome guy named Rob from Toronto", and I've never been to Toronto! I think it's great fun. My favourite thing to tell these people is about a bar I found I Vancouver while I was there for my K-1 interview. If you're an American, they make you buy a drink for every province and territory you can't name. Surprisingly, a lot of people think this is a good idea, and I played this several times with people on our honeymoon and on our anniversary. Luckily, they never tried to make me do the same for American states, because there are WAY more than Canada has provinces and I don't drink.

Because I can't work, I spent a lot of time refining my cooking and baking skills. It's gotten to the point where my husband's co-workers are disappointed if he doesn't show up with a plate of cookies or tray of lasagna or something because I've been experimenting. Prior to this, I'd worked in a bakery for two years, but never had any real interest in it (the hours were too early -- 4 AM! -- for me to ever be awake enough to be enthusiastic). Now that I've had time to practice so much, coupled with the fact that my husband built me an herb and vegetable garden, I've started to think I'd like to go to culinary school because I love it so much. When my husband took me to a fancy place in Orlando as a treat, I asked to meet the head chef because I was so impressed with the meals. He was an older, very upright Frenchman with a very thick accent, and we ended up talking about the immigration process for an hour, in between him barking orders at his workers. Likewise, as soon as anybody finds out I'm going through immigration, they always want to share experiences, which is very cool.

Speaking of my garden, it was also a shock to realise that just because Florida is sunny year round doesn't mean your garden will be safe. I made fun of my husband for worrying about "cold weather", since my hometown's summer temperature is the average winter one here in Florida. Yet I woke up this morning to find a frost had killed all the basil in my herb garden and some of my tomatoes. Teach me to keep my mouth shut!

Oddly enough, the strangest things I was worried about was other Americans. Once when my husband came to visit me in Edmonton, Alberta, he thought it was weird that I said hello to a complete stranger as we were entering a building, and she said hello right back. "Don't do that in Florida." he said. When I asked why, he said, "People will think you're up to something." I laughed, but it turns out he was serious. I admit I'm from a small town, but it's a little disappointing that people don't like making eye contact here. Occasionally, while waiting to cross the street, I've said hello to the person standing beside me if we glance at each other, and more often than not they just quickly look away. :blush: Likewise, since I'm naturally a cheerful person, it's habitual for me to flash a smile and a nod at people I pass. Oh well. At worst, they think I'm a lunatic, and at best I'm just furthering the stereotype that Canadians are all too polite! :dance:

There are little differences I notice here and there that I find interesting or funny. For example, because French is the second language in Canada, it's weird for me to see that products here don't always have a second translation in French on the packaging, and then to realise my seven years of French in school are basically useless! :) Another thing that's different is seeing things like drive-through liquor stores (!) and alcohol being sold in every store imaginable. Back in Canada, when I worked in the bakery, we had an American tourist couple come through. The woman told me, "I've been up and down this store and I can't find your beer!" and I sort of blinked and went, "Well, um . . . that's because . . . we don't sell any?" She was flabbergasted that she had to buy it from an actual liquor store. :lol: After seeing everything down here, I guess it would be a shock to her.

Another difference is how proud the Americans are to display their national pride here. In Canada you might see a flag here and there, but it's a much bigger thing in the states. It's actually impressive. I see flags, bumper stickers, shirts . . . everywhere I go someone is talking about how proud they are to be an American. It's strange but nice to be in a place where people are so determined to show their pride in their country.

All in all, I like it here. Despite being a little shy because of being warned Americans are unfriendly in the past, not to mention feeling a little like a fish out of water at first, people have generally been welcoming. Because Florida is so temperate and so big, there is something to do every day. I come from a small town, as I said, and I'd never seen anything like the huge museums around here, the public gardens, the shows and exhibits. I also saw the ocean for the first time which was . . . actually pretty terrifying! :lol: I don't like big bodies of water, so I just sort of hung back on the pier and went "Uh huh, that's . . . great!" while my husband leaned over the railing.

I've only had a few negative experiences with people, and all of those come down to the same thing; they don't seem to like ANY immigrants, even legal ones like myself. Upon finding out that I immigrated here from Canada after they ask, I've had a few people get downright nasty with me. "I guess you're here to take our jobs too", "Canadians are all liberals, you're going to wreck everything here", and other nastier things I can't repeat that basically come down to "Go back to Canada!"

Still, I've been enjoying myself, and I can't wait until I'm finally able to work. I think that will go a long way towards establishing the last of my sense of community. On a final note, I was most surprised to find out how emotional I got over the recent election. My husband teased me because I was moved to tears both when President Obama won the election, and then at his inauguration the other day. I hadn't realised I had already become so invested in this place that it meant so much to me, and that I already have a sense of pride in this country. I have a lot of hope for the future.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I guess I felt chatty. :)

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Filed: Timeline

What a great post, LDora! You should cross-post in the Canada Forum! :)

Hmm. I haven't checked my plants outside, yet, today. Now that you mention your basil freezing, I hope they're okay. :unsure:

I find the people here where I live are super friendly. But outside of our community people look at me funny if I say hello at the grocery store or something. But then they'll start chatting if I run into them again, so I guess they're just surprised that someone said hello. Not sure. :unsure:

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been living in the US for many years now, for school and for work. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years, then in Charleston WV, and now in Norfolk, VA. Everywhere people have always been nice and friendly. Most Americans are usually worried of what foreigners think of them. :whistle:

AOS (from O-1 Visa)

09-10-2008 - Package sent to Chicago lockbox via USPS Certified Mail

09-12-2008 - Package received at Chicago lockbox

09-16-2008 - NOA for I-130, I-485 and I-131

09-19-2008 - Checks finally posted - goodbye money!

09-25-2008 - Biometrics appointment notice sent

09-30-2008 - Biometrics walk-in -- in and out in 20 minutes!!!

10-09-2008 - Biometrics appointment 12pm at Norfolk, VA office (for reference only)

12-01-2008 - Advance Parole notice sent

12-12-2008 - NOA for interview

12-31-2008 - Touch

02-17-2009 - Interview - Green Card approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nice post! I have generally found most Americans I encounter pleasant and friendly as well. Like you, I smile at people in stores, or lines or passing in parking lots. Some look surprised, some look aloof but a lot smile back or speak back. I still encounter a lot of misinformation about immigration - that just because I married an American I am automatically an American citizen as well and they are surprised first to find out that is not the case, and second to discover how long and how expensive the process is. Most of them reach the conclusion for themselves of 'so that's why there are so many illegal immigrants - the legal way is so difficult and expensive'.

I haven't personally found anyone who was so rude as to say 'go back home', fortunately. For a while I worked as a costumed docent in an antebellum plantation (historic site) and we had visitors from all over. My Canadian accent stood out among all of the Georgian ones of my co-workers and I was often asked where I was from. Some guessed correctly - and one even said Virginia (hehehehe) but most had no idea. I would tell them I was from so far north that I didn't even qualify as a Yankee and they all got a kick out of that. I would add that I was, at least, from 'Southern" Canada (south west Ontario)!

I do think a lot of adaptation here is based upon on our own attitudes and expectations. If we are willing to meet others half way (or more) than we will probably have good experiences and interactions. People do respond positively when they are treated positively themselves.

I too was teary on election day and was pinned to the tv for all of the Inaugural events. I am very much looking forward to President Obama's administration - he will bring the US back to its strong roots and help to remove the tarnish from its greatness.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Very cool post Ldora, and thank you for sharing your story and experiences being in the US. Thanks to all the other Canadians who have replied to this thread as well and shared there stories thank you. I am a Canadian as well, and originally from Toronto, born and raised. I obviously came here to be with my lovely wife, and love her to death. Anyways, I am living in a small town in Ohio about 45min away from Cleveland, and people are generally surprised when they find out that, I am Canadian because I am black, and without anyone knowing, people wouldnt bat an eyelish to think, I am African-American, but the things that gives it away that, I am not American is obviously the way I talk, and pronounce words such as about, eh, you know the rest my fellow Canadians. People automatically change their demeanor towards me and are very friendly to me. I havent really come across anyone negative or rude about me being Canadian or anything, but they are more interested on what is it like in Canada, how do I like it in Ohio etc etc. People are also shock to know that, I use to live about 4.5hrs away driving. I do love it here and people are always so nice to me because its such a small place so you are bound to see the same people in the variety stores, grocery stores etc etc. The other day, I went to the BMV to inquire about getting my temps, the lady at first had a bad demeanor towards me, I guess she thought I was going to talk ghetto, and use ebonics and all that good stuff, and then my wife was talking to her about how do you go about getting a temps while going through immigration, my wife said I was Canadian blah blah and what kinds of evidence is needed to obtain it, the lady that works at the BMV then all of a sudden started talking to us really nicely and was helping us out and laughing, and told us it wont be a problem. I did think it was funny how everything changed when my wife told the lady, I was Canadian. At the end of the day, I kinda dont blame the lady for being quite leary about me at 1st which doesnt make it right to stereostype a race of people and I never ever thought she was being racist or anything, but they are and have been some interesting people who go there. People tend to be quite rude to me on the phone though, but not in person, its really strange.

Removal of Conditions

05/20/2011.....................Sent off package today, so now playing the waiting game.(Day 1)

05/23/2011.....................Package was received(Day 3)

05/28/2011.....................Received NOA/one year extention letter dated 5/23/2011(Day 8)

06/04/2011.....................I got my biometrics letter in the mail, my appointment is for 06/13/2011@11:00am (Day 14)

06/13/2011.....................Biometrics appointment today @Cleveland, Ohio @11:00am (Day 23)

09/20/2011.....................Approved for 10yr green card, wooohooooo next step citizenship

09/24/2011.....................Received 10yr green card in the mail.

My window for Citizenship 05/20/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Still, I've been enjoying myself, and I can't wait until I'm finally able to work. I think that will go a long way towards establishing the last of my sense of community. On a final note, I was most surprised to find out how emotional I got over the recent election. My husband teased me because I was moved to tears both when President Obama won the election, and then at his inauguration the other day. I hadn't realised I had already become so invested in this place that it meant so much to me, and that I already have a sense of pride in this country. I have a lot of hope for the future.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I guess I felt chatty. :)

Thank you so much for posting this! I usually hate to read long posts but yours totally hooked me in. And yes, we have good and bad things in the US but overall it's a great place to live if you choose to see it that way.

My husband was also choked up with the whole Obama deal. This makes me happy though because it shows how much he's integrated himself in this new way of life.

I'm glad to hear things have turned out great for you and good luck with everything else! :thumbs:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Thanks, guys. I'm glad it wasn't too snooze-inducing.

For the longest time my husband has teased me about my "Canadian accent", which I in turn insist I do not have. So, of course, he takes special pleasure in it whenever we're out somewhere and someone says "What a cute accent! Where are you from?" Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I guess I tend to fulfill a lot of Americans' ideas of what a Canadian is; uber polite, friendly, and I tend to say "Oh my goodness!" or "Oh my stars!" a lot.

Actually . . . that last part isn't because I'm a polite Canadian. It's because I had to learn to censor my profanity when I worked in a bakery a while back. Yelling "HOLY SH*T" when you burn yourself in front of a toddler who's come up for a free cookie isn't acceptable but "Dear me!" is okay, apparently. :whistle: It's just habit now. People think it's adorable. Like a furby.

I guess the most interesting experience I had with someone regarding where I'm from down here was when I went for my bridal dress fitting at David's Bridal in Tampa. The lady who was doing the fitting mentioned she'd been to Canada, and I'm always interested in where people went and what they thought.

Her: "Well, we went to Vancouver."

Me: "Oh! Did you see the museum at -- "

Her: "In blackfly season."

Me: ". . . Oh. Um. Sorry?"

Her: "I healed."

Another interesting thing was when I made an appointment to have my makeup done for my wedding (Disney only allows a few select artists on property for the ceremonies) the owner of the shop found out where I was from and asked if I minded if a particular woman did my makeup. Apparently, she "loved working on the Canadian girls" :lol: It wasn't until she showed up the day of the wedding that I found out it was because she WAS Canadian and had immigrated here many years ago. It was really interesting to get to talk to her.

This Florida sun is nice, too, but it takes getting used to. My family is mostly Scottish, so I'm white as a fish belly. I just turn red, and then burst into flame.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Mine has been opposite in some ways although still positive. I moved from a large city to a small one, and I had to get used to greeting strangers. I enjoy doing that, and I love the friendliness of people where I now live. Being in a state that borders Canada, I don't encounter many misconceptions about Canada except for "You must be used to the cold" when I'm from the warmest part of Canada, but I don't mind that one. I don't expect people to know everything about Canada. I've had only one negative experience with an American, and the guy was someone who probably managed to offend everyone one way or another. Every country has some of those.

IMO TV is at least in part to blame for the misconceptions about immigration. I can remember episodes on 2 different sitcoms where one of the characters married a non-American so that he could stay in the country, and getting married was all that they needed to do. I didn't know what was involved until I looked into it.

While the US has the same modern standards as my country, moving here has felt in some ways like going back in time. Of course some of these will depend on where you live and where you're from: neighbours who know each other and look out for each other, using the Imperial system instead of the metric system, less concern about the environment, and less focus on eating well and being physically active. They remind me of life several decades ago.

What we all have in common is that the US is different from our country, and it's interesting to get to know those differences. :)

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Nice post, thanks for sharing. :thumbs: I have never been to Canada either but hear it is awsome :blush:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your post was very positive and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I agree with almost 100% of what you wrote. I have had all the exact same experiences here.

And I also feel a strong sense of pride in the American way of politics.... I support Obama and am hopeful he will make this country strong again.

I still miss Canada so much and would move back in a heartbeat..... but only if my husband could come with me!!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Well, I've been here for about a year and a half... we've had to delay filing for my AoS until now while we pay everything off. Naturally, this means I can't work.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get the logic of this... even with the increased rates, AOS is only just over $1000, so I don't get how it was better economically to wait 18 months to do it...? even working only a couple of hours a week would have meant you'd easily earn over $1000 in a year and a half, so wouldn't it have been better to get your working permit so you'd have a second salary to pay off your wedding debts?

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Timeline
I've been living in the US for many years now, for school and for work. I lived in Baltimore for a couple years, then in Charleston WV, and now in Norfolk, VA. Everywhere people have always been nice and friendly. Most Americans are usually worried of what foreigners think of them. :whistle:

How did you like Charleston? It's my hometown. BE HONEST!

I rememeber having a cashier in Edmonton tell me I was mistaken, that there were in fact 51 States. She was sure of it.

drnut.jpg13960628.JPGGreyhoundScenicruiser4.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
teased me about my "Canadian accent", which I in turn insist I do not have.
Now, THIS is funny, and it brings back memories. My ex-girlfriend lived (still lives) an hour north of Toronto. I would always kid her about her being from "Canadia, a third-world country" (she always glared, and made weak retorts about Texas), and I would consistently note and genially mock the "oot & aboot" (which I consider both charming and hilarious). She disclaimed any such accent. Her daughters, then ages 10 & 13, protested similarly. Sorry, ladies, but it was as clear as a bell, eh.

Sidebar: How did Canada get its name? Answer: C-eh-N-eh-D-eh.

The funniest of many great experiences with this brilliant, borderline-psycho Ex was when she attended a convention with me where we made our own name-badges. Without prompting, she picked a totally redneck name (something like "Verleen") and typed her town as "Moose Brisket Corners, Ontario." When she was questioned several times during casual conversations regarding the town's geographic location, she matter-of-factly said, "Around an hour north of Toronto," and was never challenged.

Thanks to the OP for an excellent post -- such a relief from one of the other forums, where the natives beef constantly and never indicate that they'll be able to adjust to the "Colonies"!

My biggest complaint about the Ex was that she never shut up about Tim Horton's, eh. As for me, I recently saw one of those bear-shaped license plates from the Northwest Territory with the number "12" on it. Did the NWT really experience such a population boom, si man? :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
less focus on eating well and being physically active.
To this, I can only reply "If I'm healthy enough to exercise, I'm healthy enough not to, si man." :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Well, I've been here for about a year and a half... we've had to delay filing for my AoS until now while we pay everything off. Naturally, this means I can't work.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get the logic of this... even with the increased rates, AOS is only just over $1000, so I don't get how it was better economically to wait 18 months to do it...? even working only a couple of hours a week would have meant you'd easily earn over $1000 in a year and a half, so wouldn't it have been better to get your working permit so you'd have a second salary to pay off your wedding debts?

It wasn't a matter of the economy. It was a matter of several sudden unexpected expenses, and paying off our wedding, which was fairly large. Yes, it would have been better to get the working permit, but we did NOT have the extra money to file. It's easy to chastise someone for not filing right away, but please remember for some people it just isn't feasible. I apologise if this sounds irritable, but I'm not in a good mood; someone tried to break into our house yesterday while I was home alone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.