Used my Maiden Name Instead of Married Name

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Well, I this is a bit silly of me to post something like this…but I have few queries…

1)In my marriage certificate I have my maiden name , is that a problem?

2)For No-1 I also put my regular name in I-130, becuz I don’t took his name with me, as we wondered that all my certificates and other papers tend to have my full name, but is it going to be a problem if I wanted it for a consistency?

3)My passport also has my maiden name not the marriage name with my husband’s name instead of my father’s…

4) Is it mandatory to take husbands' last name?

Do u think I made a mess?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Nope. It is NOT mandatory

I havent taken my husbands yet.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Not mandatory at all. I did take Bren's last name; but since my passport is in my maiden name, so was my green card (even if I actually applied on my married name, oh well).

Traditionally, Chinese women don't take their husband's name. Mine didn't. All her documents have always showed her birth name, including her green card. No problem whatsoever.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you so much everyone...

my marriage certificate has my birth name, if I would have done my I-130 and passport in my married name, would it have been a problem?

Can I chose to have my married name in my green card ...actually at POE?

When is the right time to change my name if I want to, after I finish my visa procedure?

Filed: Timeline

Here's how my stuff is:

Birth certificate == maiden

Marriage certificate == maiden

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

Application == married (put "maiden" as "other names")

Visa + Green card == maiden.

American SSN == married.

Correspondence from USCIS= married.

I believe USCIS will continue to call me by my maiden name until I become a citizen. I am not sure what the procedure for changing it afterwards is.

Timeline
Here's how my stuff is:

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

American SSN == married.

I believe USCIS will continue to call me by my maiden name until I become a citizen. I am not sure what the procedure for changing it afterwards is.

Does that implies, upto green card it will me maiden name, when I apply for SSN and other state IDs I can use my married name?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

my marriage certificate has my birth name, if I would have done my I-130 and passport in my married name, would it have been a problem?

When is the right time to change my name if I want to, after I finish my visa procedure?

My wife also retained her maiden name in all the applications. This way everything including her birth certificate, passport and marriage certificate would be in sync. We figured we would have less complications this way. I don't know if a marriage certificate alone is sufficient proof for name change or if we would also need to get some kind of name change certificate.

In any case there is a chance my wife will continue keep her original name even after she reaches the US but in case she decides to change it, we will probably do it during her citizenship process (when a name change can be done relatively painlessly and she gets all new documents including passport, social security card, etc with her new name).

Deepak

06/12/09 - POE at Newark (K3)

07/01/09 - I-485 and I-765 mailed

07/06/09 - USCIS received (date on NOA1)

07/13/09 - NOA1 received for both I-485 and I-765 !

08/08/09 - Biometric appointment

08/25/09 - AOS interview letter notice date

09/24/09 - AOS interview

10/03/09 - Received GC !!

Timeline

My wife also retained her maiden name in all the applications. This way everything including her birth certificate, passport and marriage certificate would be in sync. We figured we would have less complications this way. I don't know if a marriage certificate alone is sufficient proof for name change or if we would also need to get some kind of name change certificate.

In any case there is a chance my wife will continue keep her original name even after she reaches the US but in case she decides to change it, we will probably do it during her citizenship process (when a name change can be done relatively painlessly and she gets all new documents including passport, social security card, etc with her new name).

Deepak

Logical...exactly my way of thinking...

Thank you...Good Luck

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Here's how my stuff is:

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

American SSN == married.

Does that implies, upto green card it will me maiden name, when I apply for SSN and other state IDs I can use my married name?

I think for K3 who haven't already changed their name, and want to, the best time is when filing for AOS. My wife was asked at the AOS interview, whether she wanted a "married name" on the green card. Her answer was no but it would have been fine either way.

For a CR1, I would suggest changing the passport before the visa interview and having the visa in the new name. I don't trust the CBP officers at the POE to get USCIS business done. K3 could do the same, of course. Changing the passport is probably the hardest part. If it's easier to change the passport in your home country than through their Embassy or Consulate in the US, do it before the visa is issued.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Here's how my stuff is:

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

American SSN == married.

I think for K3 who haven't already changed their name, and want to, the best time is when filing for AOS. My wife was asked at the AOS interview, whether she wanted a "married name" on the green card. Her answer was no but it would have been fine either way.

For a CR1, I would suggest changing the passport before the visa interview and having the visa in the new name. I don't trust the CBP officers at the POE to get USCIS business done. K3 could do the same, of course. Changing the passport is probably the hardest part. If it's easier to change the passport in your home country than through their Embassy or Consulate in the US, do it before the visa is issued.

But I don't have my married name in my marriage certificate...I-130 has got the Maiden name....what should I do if I really want to have my married name?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If entering on a K-3 you will NOT get your greencard or be eligible for one at the POE... You need to send an I-485 application to register as a permanent resident sometime after your arrival.

But I don't have my married name in my marriage certificate...I-130 has got the Maiden name....what should I do if I really want to have my married name?

Legal name changes are governed by the states... You may need to check how your state facillitates it.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Hi Sonia, pushbrk, len, etc

Im on CR1 and also wonder re name change issues.. On my BC, passport, etc its my maiden name and in my CR1 process we've been using my maiden name (which in my culture is my dad's name basically). In the future i would like to have my name hyphenated with my hubby's family name and am wondering if we can start doing that when i get there and applying for SSN, driver's license etc. Will keep on reading here, many thanks.

Edited by faryan
.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Sonia, pushbrk, len, etc

Im on CR1 and also wonder re name change issues.. On my BC, passport, CR1 process we've been using my maiden name (which in my culture is my dad's name basically). In the future i would like to have my name hyphenated with my hubby's family name and am wondering if we can start doing that when i get there and applying for SSN, driver's license etc. Will keep on reading here, many thanks.

Check the local laws of your state

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.