Used my Maiden Name Instead of Married Name

22 posts in this topic

Hi Sonia, pushbrk, len, etc

Im on CR1 and also wonder re name change issues.. On my BC, passport, CR1 process we've been using my maiden name (which in my culture is my dad's name basically). In the future i would like to have my name hyphenated with my hubby's family name and am wondering if we can start doing that when i get there and applying for SSN, driver's license etc. Will keep on reading here, many thanks.

Check the local laws of your state

Thanks payxibka! just saw your post. will do that :):thumbs:

.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Here's how my stuff is:

Birth certificate == maiden

Marriage certificate == maiden

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

Application == married (put "maiden" as "other names")

Visa + Green card == maiden.

American SSN == married.

Correspondence from USCIS= married.

I believe USCIS will continue to call me by my maiden name until I become a citizen. I am not sure what the procedure for changing it afterwards is.

Does that implies, upto green card it will me maiden name, when I apply for SSN and other state IDs I can use my married name?

I think for K3 who haven't already changed their name, and want to, the best time is when filing for AOS. My wife was asked at the AOS interview, whether she wanted a "married name" on the green card. Her answer was no but it would have been fine either way.

For a CR1, I would suggest changing the passport before the visa interview and having the visa in the new name. I don't trust the CBP officers at the POE to get USCIS business done. K3 could do the same, of course. Changing the passport is probably the hardest part. If it's easier to change the passport in your home country than through their Embassy or Consulate in the US, do it before the visa is issued.

But I don't have my married name in my marriage certificate...I-130 has got the Maiden name....what should I do if I really want to have my married name?

Change it in your passport and have the visa issued in the married name and carry on. (You'll need some ID to show that Mary Smith (invited to interview) is now Mary Jones.)

or

Change it on the green card at the AOS interview, then change the passport. Either will work but the first option simplifies everything in the US.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Here's how my stuff is:

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

American SSN == married.

I believe USCIS will continue to call me by my maiden name until I become a citizen. I am not sure what the procedure for changing it afterwards is.

Does that implies, upto green card it will me maiden name, when I apply for SSN and other state IDs I can use my married name?

I think for K3 who haven't already changed their name, and want to, the best time is when filing for AOS. My wife was asked at the AOS interview, whether she wanted a "married name" on the green card. Her answer was no but it would have been fine either way.

Good to hear, maybe my husband can fix the spelling of his at that point, then i will take his name heh heh

I dont want my name slaughtered any more than necessary. My maiden name is funny enough, add his mispelled last name and what a ball that would be :lol:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not mandatory, in fact in many cultures wife does not normally take her husband's name, this is the case for China.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I started using my husband's last name after a month we got married, boy it was really confusing and did a lot of erasures when I write down my name. I changed my signature too. For some reason I feel proud to use my husband's last name. At first I was nervous LOL but now I am used to it. The good thing about our country's rule...married women should use their husband's name and retain their father's last name as their middle name but then we will lose our old middle name which is our mother's maiden name. Anyway, I changed all my legal documents here in the Philippines to my married name and learned that it would be less complicated to change passport to my married name now while I am still here in PI. I used my married name in all my visa forms and put my maiden name under Other Names Used.

Still it's your choice. :yes:

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Here's how my stuff is:

Canadian visa == married

Canadian SSN == married

Passport == maiden

American SSN == married.

For a CR1, I would suggest changing the passport before the visa interview and having the visa in the new name. I don't trust the CBP officers at the POE to get USCIS business done. K3 could do the same, of course. Changing the passport is probably the hardest part. If it's easier to change the passport in your home country than through their Embassy or Consulate in the US, do it before the visa is issued.

But I don't have my married name in my marriage certificate...I-130 has got the Maiden name....what should I do if I really want to have my married name?

I changed mine during citizenship.If your green card has your maiden name,I believe your SSN will be issued under that name .If you want to change it legally you have to get a court order so they can do a petition for name change and you will use that document to update your name .

Mar 4,06 I-130 sent ,rcvd Mar 7,06

Oct 24,08 USC, called to Upgrade

Nov 1,08 Citizenship certificate sent

Jan 3,09 Case upgraded.

Jan 6,09 TOUCHED!!!

Feb 13,09 Approved : )

Feb 20,09 Case # assigned

Mar 2,09 bill paid online,DS-3032 emailed

Mar 4,09 NVC recvd fee

Mar 10,09 AOS sent

Mar 30,09 mailed DS-230

Apr 13,09 CASE COMPLETED(per operators)

Apr 20,09 FINAL REVIEW

Apr 21,09 CASE COMPLETED (per AVR)

Apr 23,09 called:INTERVIEW JUNE 24th

Jun 24,09 AP, 1-3 months

Calling DOS begins,here is what I was told

Jul 7,09 No info @ DOS

Jul 10,09 Case sent to DC-pending

Jul 17,09 Pending

Jul 24,09 Pending,you can call every day for update but the day they call him for passport it means something is up so you get to know it before we do

Jul 31,09 Pending AP

Aug 06,09 Call from USEM requesting to submit passport

Aug 07,09 Every thing looks very good,visa issuance is up to the consulate!!!

Aug 07,09 Passport submitted

Aug 07,09 USEM is requesting applicant's passport :)

Aug 17,09-call 1 Visa issued Aug 3rd,EM recvd passport on 10th but still havent returned it

Aug 17,09-call 2 Case pending some kind of processing (URGHHHHHHHHH NOT AGAIN)

Aug 18,09 call to pick up passport,picked up from AMEX

Sep 26,09 REUNION :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

on the marriage certificate it is aboslutely normal to have the maiden name. what else could you have?

When marrying You don't really change name you just use your husband's.

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.