2newshoes2

Warning about naturalization ceremony

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi Friends,

I am posting this as a heads up. This was our experience in NYC, not sure if it would be the same in other places. The husband's naturalization ceremony was in early Dec. He was told to arrive at 8 AM. It was a large courtroom with about 250-350 seats. Family, friends were not allowed and had to wait in a cafeteria upstairs. At 9:00 they handed out and then collected certain forms. Then everyone sat and waited until 12:20 when a judge was available. He spoke for about 10 minutes. Everyone said the pledge of allegience and oath. Then they called out everyone's name, one by one to go up and pick up their certificate and then leave. (Without using any sound system so it became somewhat chaotic.) There was no opportunity for photos with the judge or even a darn flag in the lobby.

Quite anticlimactic. It is a waste of time for family to attend under these circumstances. Hopefully in other locations things are more hospitable,but you might want to check before investing half a day....

2NS

I-130 NOA1: 9/17/04

He picks up packet in Havana: late March/05

Interview at US Interests in Hav: 4/26/05

Informed of need for second security check

Dept of State completes security check: 5/17/05

He picks up Visa: 5/26/05

Arrived 7/22/05

Applied for removal of GC conditions 4/07

Interview for application to remove GC conditions 11/07

Received 10 year GC 12/07

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Was it Federal Plaza or Brooklyn? Need answer ASAP, husband has oath on the 14th! I was planning to go

Shortened timeline:
Oct 18, 2003 - 129F Package sent to VSC
Feb 18, 2004, 4PM Eastern Europian time - VISA IN HAND smile.png))
-------------------------------
JUNE 25, 2004 - We are MARRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01/19/05 - I-485 approved. CPR status granted!!!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------
Jan 2007 - AOS - Permanent GC Holder
March 24, 08 - NOA for naturalization
April 08, 08 - Biometrics
November 18, 2008 - Interview Notice for December 17, 08
December 17, 08 - Interview passed
January 14, 2009 - Oath

-------------------------

Jan 29, 2014 - NSC - NOA-1 - I-130 for husband's mom

It is different from district office to district office.

Also it may be changed from day to day depending on judge's schedule, the location, and capacity of the location.

Some district office change the location from time to time.

But in most case, it is fine with bringing family together, and allows photo time, even camcorder recording.

If you are not sure, you should ask to Adjudicator at the end of your interview.

Hi Friends,

I am posting this as a heads up. This was our experience in NYC, not sure if it would be the same in other places. The husband's naturalization ceremony was in early Dec. He was told to arrive at 8 AM. It was a large courtroom with about 250-350 seats. Family, friends were not allowed and had to wait in a cafeteria upstairs. At 9:00 they handed out and then collected certain forms. Then everyone sat and waited until 12:20 when a judge was available. He spoke for about 10 minutes. Everyone said the pledge of allegience and oath. Then they called out everyone's name, one by one to go up and pick up their certificate and then leave. (Without using any sound system so it became somewhat chaotic.) There was no opportunity for photos with the judge or even a darn flag in the lobby.

Quite anticlimactic. It is a waste of time for family to attend under these circumstances. Hopefully in other locations things are more hospitable,but you might want to check before investing half a day....

2NS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definatly not the same everywhere. My Oath ceremony was done in an auditorium with about 300 people. We all sat in the front 10 rows and all guests that came sat in the back 1/2 of the place. We had speakers, they called out each country represented by name and you stood with your country and the friends and family would then cheer for the country (Mexico was by far the loudest). After all the videos and speakers etc, we could if we wanted line up after getting our certificate and get on stage where the flag is and take photos of the person holding their cert in front of the flag. It was a lot of fun here in Denver...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

At the Fairfax VA office, there was seating for 100 applicants, but not a lot for family! Family were seated first (think some had to stay out in hallway) while we were processed downstairs! They didnt ask what countries we were from, the USCIS lady gave a brief statement on the do's don't with ur Naturalization certificate, passport info, naturalization if ur kids are under 18. Mentioned over 100 countries were represented in todays ceremony! Then the Judge came in, we did what had to be done and then 1 by 1, they called you up to get ur certificate. They allowed time for family to take pics, and the stressed and stressed they would be available for pics after the ceremony. She said USCIS has made you wait during this process,so now its our turn to wait,lol

I arrived at 0835, processing started around 0900, seated (upstairs) shortly after, ceremony started around 1010, and out the door at 1035! So approx 2 hours from start to finish at Fairfax VA office. I would guess there were about 70-80 new citizens. Lots of waiting around, so bring something to read.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

This was at the Brooklyn federal court house. I am glad to know that other places might be more hospitable. It really could have been made more inspiring.

2ns

I-130 NOA1: 9/17/04

He picks up packet in Havana: late March/05

Interview at US Interests in Hav: 4/26/05

Informed of need for second security check

Dept of State completes security check: 5/17/05

He picks up Visa: 5/26/05

Arrived 7/22/05

Applied for removal of GC conditions 4/07

Interview for application to remove GC conditions 11/07

Received 10 year GC 12/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
This was at the Brooklyn federal court house. I am glad to know that other places might be more hospitable. It really could have been made more inspiring.

2ns

Ours was held at the St. Paul field office waiting room, only 40 people, but brought in a TV, flag, and a podium, I had to stand at the back of the room, but only for 30 minutes, only 39 people were there. Was invited up to take several photos of my wife, was a very nice ceremony conducted by the manager of the field office, a nice looking gal all dressed up for the occasion. Was very touching, personal, and left a very good taste in my mouth after five years of going there. A tear almost came to my eye. Could have been held even at the Viking stadium or at the court house.

Only thing that would have been better is that if they gave my wife her oath ceremony right after her interview to save that extra trip.

Oath ceremony was held before their business day, everyone was smiling, even the guards, was in the process of removing my belt, was told that was not necessary, it was a very pleasant experience, couldn't believe it was the same place we have been several times before.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Definitely not the same. I had mine at the LA convention center in Los Angeles. Total number of new citizens was 6038. The hall was big enough to house the new citizens and there was about 2000 seats for family members. They gave us flags and a generic letter from the president as we enter to be seated. We were given table numbers to go to after the ceremony to pick up our certificates. All in all it was very orderly, I was very surprised. It was very pleasant except the part they make you watch the video.

Also the ceremony about 3hrs.

Edited by DaveHanna

AOS Timeline (from F-1)

12/30/08 Mailed AOS/I-130/EAD packet to Chicago

12/31/08 USPS reports package delivered at 11:08AM, signed by JB

01/07/09 Check for I-485 cashed

01/07/09 I-485, I-130, EAD touched

01/08/09 Checks for Biometrics and I-130 cashed

01/10/09 NOA1 for I-485, I-130 and EAD received (NOAs dated: 01/06/09)

01/14/09 Biometrics letter received. Notice dated 01/09/2009. Appointment date 01/23/2009 (DAY 15)

01/20/09 Biometrics completed. (Walk-in)

01/21/09 Touch (I-485/I-130/EAD)

03/20/09 Received Interview notification for May 6th (NOA2 dated: 03/13/09)

05/06/09 Interview **Approved**

Anticlimactic or not, he is still a citizen of the greatest country in the world :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Anticlimactic or not, he is still a citizen of the greatest country in the world :thumbs:

Ha, my wife didn't want to surrender her green card, it became a permanent part of her body, asked if they could punch a hole in it or something to render it obsolete, but she got over that. And was sure nice coming back to the USA with a US passport. Her biggest moment of joy was showing her certificate to her employer, no more checks on her immigration status. Waiting to get that certificate from the DOS was tense, but it came back in one piece, but with her passport, probably doesn't need it anyway. Her passport satisfied SS, nobody else wanted to see it including the DMV and voters registration.

One thing her USC did not change, and that is great, is our relationship, still my sweetheart.

They gave us flags and a generic letter from the president as we enter to be seated.

Yes, it is varies from DO to DO.

I had my oath ceremony from Milwaukee DO building, but they didn't pass out the flag.

They only distributed the booklet, and the copy of papers such as "Instructions of certificate signature", and others.

By the way, "An-nyeong-ha-seo-yo"

I came from South Korea, too. :whistle:

One thing her USC did not change, and that is great, is our relationship, still my sweetheart.

Yes, Best part of whole thing is that you don't have to worry about your sweetheart separating from you by USCIS any more.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just to add about our experience..Hubby had his oath in downtowm Bklyn.. I was not allowed to go into the room and sent to the 3rd floor with all the other relatives while they were signing their certificates, etc. The ceremony was for 200-300 people. I was also told to leave my cell and camera with the security.

3 hrs later, everyone was called in from the cafeteria to witness the oath. We came to the courtroom and waited for the judge, who was running a bit late. After he came, he gave a short story on how his family came to the US. The actual Oath was 5-7 min. AFterwards, everybody's name was called and they were given their certificate. They were free to leave after that. The whole procedure was a bit less than 4 hrs.

Shortened timeline:
Oct 18, 2003 - 129F Package sent to VSC
Feb 18, 2004, 4PM Eastern Europian time - VISA IN HAND smile.png))
JUNE 25, 2004 - We are MARRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01/19/05 - I-485 approved. CPR status granted!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 2007 - AOS - Permanent GC Holder
March 24, 08 - NOA for naturalization
April 08, 08 - Biometrics
November 18, 2008 - Interview Notice for December 17, 08
December 17, 08 - Interview passed
January 14, 2009 - Oath

-------------------------

Jan 29, 2014 - NSC - NOA-1 - I-130 for husband's mom

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

On what basis ? A certain Austrian gentleman thought it was a good idea to trumpet his country and people as superior in every way - and look where that ended up.

I will be a dual citizen of the U.S. and the U.K. but claiming superiority over other countries is not a necessary qualification unless one is Rush Limbaugh fan. Mitt Romney says the U.S. is the 'finest country in the history of the world', but a stroll round downtown Seattle at midnight (dare you), might have people wondering about that.

On the basis of the ratio of doctors to patients (4 times as many as the U.K.), and the quality and cost of care, France for instance, beats the U.K. and the U.S. easily - so the criteria is important

So in my book it's ok to point out some aspects of the U.S. and say they are superb (and I do), but fauning over America as some kind of heaven on earth is a bit yucky and not realistic unless one comes from a 3rd world country where becoming an American (or a citizen of anywhere in the West), really is salvation.

On the basis of the quality and gravitas of the citizenship ceremony, it seems the US has some way to go, and it sounds like a sausage machine with little regard to the importance of the occasion to the individual . It would probably have more solemnity to do it at the end of the interview on a one to one basis with relatives present then

moresheep400100.jpg

Alan,

I think you're right. It's an extremely relative question, and also a very personal question. I've been lucky enough to have experienced many cultures on many different continents, and to me, the U.S. is as good as it gets. All countries have pros and cons. Their weights, I believe, depends on what you value as an individual.

I'm taking the oath on July 15th. I will remain a Swedish citizen, and therefore have dual-citizenship. However, I am fully aware (and willing) to renounce my allegiance to Sweden. In other words, if the U.S. ever declared war on Sweden, I will fight for the U.S. Which, I don't think, is a particularly bad idea considering the military powers of each country :P

Of course, Sweden will always have a place in my heart, but I would never have sought U.S. Citizenship if I was not willing to be fully loyal to the U.S. and accept the U.S. Culture.

Cheers,

Goran

On what basis ? A certain Austrian gentleman thought it was a good idea to trumpet his country and people as superior in every way - and look where that ended up.

I will be a dual citizen of the U.S. and the U.K. but claiming superiority over other countries is not a necessary qualification unless one is Rush Limbaugh fan. Mitt Romney says the U.S. is the 'finest country in the history of the world', but a stroll round downtown Seattle at midnight (dare you), might have people wondering about that.

On the basis of the ratio of doctors to patients (4 times as many as the U.K.), and the quality and cost of care, France for instance, beats the U.K. and the U.S. easily - so the criteria is important

So in my book it's ok to point out some aspects of the U.S. and say they are superb (and I do), but fauning over America as some kind of heaven on earth is a bit yucky and not realistic unless one comes from a 3rd world country where becoming an American (or a citizen of anywhere in the West), really is salvation.

On the basis of the quality and gravitas of the citizenship ceremony, it seems the US has some way to go, and it sounds like a sausage machine with little regard to the importance of the occasion to the individual . It would probably have more solemnity to do it at the end of the interview on a one to one basis with relatives present then

01/31/2009 - Mailed N-400 to the Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - USPS "Priority" mail package delivered to Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - Priority Date

02/10/2009 - Notice Date

03/03/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03/19/2009 - Interview Letter Received

05/21/2009 - Interview Appointment

05/21/2009 - Interview Passed

07/15/2009 - Oath Appointment

07/15/2009 - Oath Completed

07/15/2009 - Submitted Passport Application (Standard 4-6 week service)

08/22/2009 - Received letter stating that I did not sign passport application (not true) and need to re-apply

08/24/2009 - Resubmitted passport application

09/05/2009 - Received Passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Alan,

I think you're right. It's an extremely relative question, and also a very personal question. I've been lucky enough to have experienced many cultures on many different continents, and to me, the U.S. is as good as it gets. All countries have pros and cons. Their weights, I believe, depends on what you value as an individual.

I'm taking the oath on July 15th. I will remain a Swedish citizen, and therefore have dual-citizenship. However, I am fully aware (and willing) to renounce my allegiance to Sweden. In other words, if the U.S. ever declared war on Sweden, I will fight for the U.S. Which, I don't think, is a particularly bad idea considering the military powers of each country :P

Of course, Sweden will always have a place in my heart, but I would never have sought U.S. Citizenship if I was not willing to be fully loyal to the U.S. and accept the U.S. Culture.

Cheers,

Goran

I have been visiting the US for 25 years and living here on and off for 5, and living here full time for 18 months and I must say the place is growing on me.

The differences which seemed so huge are becoming more explainable and natural and the idea of keeping my hands on the steering wheel when a police officer approaches me is becoming 'normal' in my mind whereas it was simply appalling at first.

So my 'mind set' is progressing, but it still un-nerves me when people start saying that America and therefore Americans are superior to others. I suppose my age does not help as I am 61 and therefore closer to the second world war which was fought over these issues.

An unbiased observer would point out many aspects of American society which are far inferior to any western european country - but the wide open spaces and easy parking and driving , and the efficient and cheap mail order etc may be 'shallow' criteria, but they are important to me and therefore a plus for the US.

I wouldn't fly a bomber over London and bomb St Paul's cathedral in order to validate my US citizenship when it comes,

but I spend all my money here and wouldn't do anything to harm the US, and would like to promote it's finer ideals, so America will have to be content with that if they allow my application

I think Goran, that you would think twice before dropping napalm on your old school friends and their children and your family in Sweden on behalf of the US - I really do. People of German ancestry from Wisconsin thought nothing of flattening Germany, (The US govt thought they might), but you and I are closer to our roots than that

I like the high minded stuff that Obama spouts and I would like to swallow the high ideals of America and promote them, but I hope I can do that without embracing blind nationalism and beating the superiority drum which is too close to the Nazis for my liking - so 'finest country in the history of the world' will always ruffle my feathers

I can see that someone from an awful starving murderous swampy steamy corrupt 3rd world country would fall to their knees and weep at idea of being a US citizen, so I guess I should try and cut them a bit of slack when they express that. I would do the same thing in their position

The American ideals are well said and mostly expressed and inherited from England, (Even the stars and stripes were the Washington family's crest in England), so the aspiration towards them is a fine thing. l therefore think the ceremony should be more meaningful, or have more gravitas than 300 people muttering something. If it were more personal, I reckon it would solidify people's idealism rather just being something that allows one to bring one's family in and removes the possibilty of deportation

Without Obama's wordy idealism, and if Bush or Cheney or those other grizzly torturers and religious intolerants had continued in power, I would have not have considered applying for US citizenship any more than I would be a citizen of red China or Albania, but now I reckon I can embrace it and work to keep it from slipping back

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.