Joyce/Jeremy

Marriage abroad on a K-1

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi All,

I recently got engaged to a Filipina. We have been dating for a couple of years now and are ready to take the next step. Our plans are for her to move to the US. After lots of research (on this site) we've decided that the K-1 is the way to go. Our problem though is we would like to have the wedding in the Philippines since she will be moving here and it will be quite a while before she can see her family again. To me it looks like the K-3 is the only way to do this but to do that it would add quite a bit of time since we wouldn’t be able to file the K-3 until after the wedding. We were thinking about waiting for the K-1 to be approved then have a wedding over there then flying back here to make it official in the states. Is this possible or am I just grasping for straws. Also she dose have a B1/b2 visa right now.

Thanks, Jeremy

Edited by mount311

J&J

I-129F Sent : 2009-02-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-02-17

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-19

If you get married overseas you invalidate the K1 I believe. If you get married there you would have to file for a K3.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If you get married overseas you invalidate the K1 I believe. If you get married there you would have to file for a K3.

:thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Hi All,

I recently got engaged to a Filipina. We have been dating for a couple of years now and are ready to take the next step. Our plans are for her to move to the US. After lots of research (on this site) we've decided that the K-1 is the way to go. Our problem though is we would like to have the wedding in the Philippines since she will be moving here and it will be quite a while before she can see her family again. To me it looks like the K-3 is the only way to do this but to do that it would add quite a bit of time since we wouldn’t be able to file the K-3 until after the wedding. We were thinking about waiting for the K-1 to be approved then have a wedding over there then flying back here to make it official in the states. Is this possible or am I just grasping for straws. Also she dose have a B1/b2 visa right now.

Thanks, Jeremy

Just married here in USA and file for that K1 to marry your fiance here,it's fast.Proven! :thumbs:

vAYw-19x.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

vAYw-195.jpg

vAYw-19t.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi All,

Thanks, Jeremy

If you marry in the PI, the CR1 visa would be the way to go. K3 is currently a pretty poor choice for most folks. K1 requires the legal marriage take place in the USA within 90 days of arrival.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks all for you advice! Yeah I think we are going to go for the K-1 I was just hoping we could find a loop hole to have the wedding over there without all the extra waiting time as it would mean a lot to her and her family. Thanks again!

J&J

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can have a religious ceremony there first as long as its not "official" and off any public records then get married "officially" when your fiance gets here.

"Patience with others is Love, Patience with self is Hope, Patience with God is Faith."--

Adel Bestavros

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You can have a religious ceremony there first as long as its not "official" and off any public records then get married "officially" when your fiance gets here.

The safe bet is to do this AFTER the visa is in hand. No legal marriage outside the USA with a K1 visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Thanks all for you advice! Yeah I think we are going to go for the K-1 I was just hoping we could find a loop hole to have the wedding over there without all the extra waiting time as it would mean a lot to her and her family. Thanks again!

Getting married in PI alot expensive coz you need to spend alot of food for the entire family and the neigbors! lol :wacko:

vAYw-19x.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

vAYw-195.jpg

vAYw-19t.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

Timeline

Getting married in PI alot expensive coz you need to spend alot of food for the entire family and the neigbors! lol :wacko:

Hahahaha! Yeah thanks man your not the first one to tell me this! Anyway thanks all for your help! We are going to wait until we get over to the states to make it offical. I have another question though when do I file the I-134? Is this sent in with my K-1 or do I file later? And if so when? Thanks again. I hope to have this filed by early next month. Cross my fingers...

J&J

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Or just have an engagment party, that way the family gets to gather but you are all "legal" with uscis :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi All,

Thanks, Jeremy

You could apply for the K-1 visa, then get married in a simple civil ceremony in the US (just to fulfill the legal requirement), and then have a "real" ceremony and party with family over in the Philippines.

Hahahaha! Yeah thanks man your not the first one to tell me this! Anyway thanks all for your help! We are going to wait until we get over to the states to make it offical. I have another question though when do I file the I-134? Is this sent in with my K-1 or do I file later? And if so when? Thanks again. I hope to have this filed by early next month. Cross my fingers...

You won't need the I-134, and other financial papers until you get an interview date. Your fiance will need that information to take to the interview.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.