CanGal

Dog Shopping

73 posts in this topic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, there really is some really sweet puppies in shelters. I think now that I know their circumstances I want to give them a good home. Should I be worried about a dogs mannerism if its mixed??

A mix breed is going to be no more ill mannered than a pure-bred. One plus side of mix-breeds is that often they will suffer from less illnesses and may live longer than a pure bred. Mixing different breeds gives the pup exposure to a greater range of immunities. When the pup has parents of the same breed the gene pool is historically shallower, and there may likely has been 'in-breeding' somewhere along the line. Of course as you were looking into a 'designer' mix breed, this probably wouldnt have been an issue so early in the breeding timeline.

I have always had rescue mix breeds, and have never had a single behavioural problem. The best mix Ive found yet is a Chow Chow Labrador mix- man those dogs are sweethearts!! :)

I dont get all the fuss with pure breds or designer mix-breeds anyway. A dog is a dog each with a unique personality, and they all deserve a good home! Im glad you are looking into getting a rescue pup :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

is that a random picture or the dog u want?

I found this site: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/puggle.htm

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Puggle pics

this site has some cute pics of puggles

it is just a random pic, but thats what the ones in the pet store looked like that we were looking at

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Puggle pics

this site has some cute pics of puggles

it is just a random pic, but thats what the ones in the pet store looked like that we were looking at

they're cute. me likey! :thumbs:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

They are cute, but I not paying 849 dollars for an unregistered mixed breed puppy ...

aww there we go, just found a site that says that paris hilton has a puggle :-p

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ya, there really is some really sweet puppies in shelters. I think now that I know their circumstances I want to give them a good home. Should I be worried about a dogs mannerism if its mixed??

Some of the best dogs we had growing up were mixed breeds.. We did have a couple of good purebreds but for the most part mixed breeds are good dogs.. You can also find dogs in the paper sometimes from people who's female dog got herself in the family... not always a bad way to get a dog.. that's how we got most of ours ;) Also as far as mannerisms from a shelter dog, they will usually put it through mannerism tests to make sure they arent vicious or something...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm sure puggles are cute... but so is the poor little pup who doesn't have a home and who's living in a cage at the animal shelter... I would NEVER buy an animal from the pet store unless it was a rescue/adoption situation.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Why buy one when soooo many in the shelters need a good home and love? If you really want a purebreed try www.petfinder.com and apply to one of the breed rescue groups?

All but one of "mine" are rescues...

1 Husky

1 Lab/Staffy

1 JRT

I also foster 2 for my ex husband when he and our son go for holidays

1 Boxer (from breeder-we got her because he HAD to have a show dog)

1-Doberman

-and-

My 7 ferrets are all shelter/rescues also

They seem to know that you have saved them, and they provide you with love, compassion, and non-judgement more so than a "privledged" pet...

Best of luck in whatever pooch you pick !!!

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: Timeline
I would personally never give my $$ to a pet shop -- many of them buy their animals from puppy mills and I would not want to support those practices.

You might try checking animal rescues as well.

:thumbs:

look at what you can get ...

his mama was homeless and PG.

he was one of the puppies.. I got him for FREE < Priceless >

shon.gif

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I agree, try check with the local shelters or news papers. Pet shops just in it for the big bucks. We got our 6 years old pug for $50 from a newspaper and he's just my baby!

KingElvisx.jpg

Our K1 Journey Click Here
K1 Interview in Jakarta Click Here
AOS Journey:
May 02, 2006 :AOS Sent to Chicago...Let the couting begin
May 03, 2006 :AOS received in Chicago
May 12, 2006 :Received NOA1 dated 05/09/2006
May 22, 2006 Biometrics Notice Rcvd dated 05/17/2006
May 30, 2006 :Biometrics done in ASC Birmingham
July 01, 2006 :Interview Letter received
Aug 30, 2006 :Interview in Atlanta & got RFE for I-693A! OUCH!!!
November, 2006 :I-693A Sent. The waiting goes on...
April 4, 2007: Infopass & it doesn't help at all!!!
April 18, 2007 :Contacting our Congressman.
May 18, 2007 : E-mail rcvd, Welcome Notice Sent! Finally!!!
April 22, 2007 : E-mail rcvd, GC has been ordered
April 24, 2007 : Welcome Notice Rvcd. Yeeehaaa!!!!
June 1, 2007: GC arrived! Yippy! USCIS Free for 2 years!
2008: Moved to China
2009: Conditional GC Expired and Husband has been having affairs since 2008 in China. Can't file for ROC since he got laid off. He came to Jakarta to live with me and my parents. He got a new job. Life resume to normal or so I thought.
March 2010: Officially separated after yet more affairs exposed just a day after my birthday!

February 2011: Officially divorced.
June 18, 2011: He married the girl he had the last affair with.

August 2014: I am engaged with my real soulmate. Not an American.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My parents bought 2 pugs 9 years ago at 1000 each from a breeder. Now let me tell you that these dogs have had more medical problems than my 88 year old grandparents. Bladder stones, blindness, skin alergies, bee stings, eating rat poison, getting into a bag of dog food and eating so much that one of them gained 1/3 of her bodyweight in just hours, nerve damage... and many other things that have caused us to rush them to the dog emergency room several times. Mostly it's caused by them just being bad. They still poop inside and if they happen to go outside it's on the pavement as they can't have their little paws get wet. Oh and they shed like none other. Just being in the same vicinity will get you covered in hair.

Despite all of this we do love them and they have tons of personality. They're stubborn, they pretend to not know their names when it's time to "come" and they insist that all pillows on any couch should be pushed off onto the ground, but they are pretty hilarious. I would say their medical problems are more due to them being bad than anything but I know my Dad is not so pleased that he pays more dog bils than anything else sometimes. They're good company and they are good lap dogs they love walks and eating. I think you have to be a special kind of deranged person to get pugs but in the end they're nice dogs haha.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

shonjaved & OyenJames, kisses to your doggies! Awwwww.... Heart-Beat.gif

http://www.petfinder.org

(on the left: QUICK PET SEARCH)

Find a shelter:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagen...5_searchShelter

Ksenia

J1-F1-AOS-N400

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I would just say a shelter too...don't even think about those places much, 'cause I can't stand the thought of it!! :( Anyway, yeah. that is WAYYYY high, even for a purebred. My neighbor is selling purebred golden retriever pups right now and they were 375-425...still high, but half of what YOU were quoted...and purebred! sheesh! M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)