CanGal

Dog Shopping

73 posts in this topic

My hubby and I are wanting to purchase a bigger dog when we move into our new home. That won't be awhile yet but we just started doing a little shopping adn hunting around to get an idea of what we might like. We have a little yorkie as of right now. We want to add to our family lol. The other day we just took a boo in a pet store after doing our routine at the gym and saw some puggles. (Half Pug Half Beagle) They were so adorable. Just curious to see what they would sell a mixed breed for, they told me 849 bucks!!! Is it just me or is that highly over priced? Especially for a mut? Is that not what it would be when you mix breeds? It's not pure bread and or registered. I don't know but that seems a little high to me. Makes me think that we just might go to the local shelter and just find a pup there. Right now they have 4 shepard mix pups that are adorable. 2 look more like a german shepard and the other two along an australian shepard. Oh and one husky/shepard puppy, super sweet. Who knows, just thought I'd post that and see if thats a norm for pricing. My puppy right now is pure bread, registered, and had all shots updated, etc and i paid just over 4 hundred for him.

Edited by CanGal
ticker.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My hubby and I are wanting to purchase a bigger dog when we move into our new home. That won't be awhile yet but we just started doing a little shopping adn hunting around to get an idea of what we might like. We have a little yorkie as of right now. We want to add to our family lol. The other day we just took a boo in a pet store after doing our routine at the gym and saw some puggles. (Half Pug Half Beagle) They were so adorable. Just curious to see what they would sell a mixed breed for, they told me 849 bucks!!! Is it just me or is that highly over priced? Especially for a mut? Is that not what it would be when you mix breeds? It's not pure bread and or registered. I don't know but that seems a little high to me. Makes me think that we just might go to the local shelter and just find a pup there. Right now they have 4 shepard mix pups that are adorable. 2 look more like a german shepard and the other two along an australian shepard. Oh and one husky/shepard puppy, super sweet. Who knows, just thought I'd post that and see if thats a norm for pricing. My puppy right now is pure bread, registered, and had all shots updated, etc and i paid just over 4 hundred for him.

yes, that is a high price. pet stores are probably not your best bet. look for a breeder. a reputable one, one that you can visit the kennel and see how the animals are taken care of. for the price that store wants you can get many different breeds with papers (purebred). that store sounds like a rip off

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I think you will find that "Puggles" are the latest "fashion accessory" hence the high price. I can't remember who, but some famous bimbo has one, consequently all the wannabe bimbo's want one.

I would get a dog from a shelter every time anyway, rather than putting profit in some pet-shop owner's pocket!

Good Luck

G.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That is expensive.

I do not know if you have adopted a pet before, and I can only speak for my area, but it is a requirement that all adopted pets recieve shots. Yes you need to pay for them, but it is certainly less expensive then a pet store, and they do them right there... and why not save a dog? Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your new dog no matter what you do.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Ya both my husband and I almost freaked when she told us that price. I've never heard of anything like that ... i knew pet stores were a little more expensive but geese! Ya, I've been browsnig Dog shelters here the past few days online and some have really cute pups for a good price. Like 40 bucks to adopt. And alot have been nuetered already, checked up and even some have had shots. We would have to take them in to get the rabie shots but why not, i wouldn't pay even half the price i would for the puggle :-p ...

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

$800 for a Puggle is way too expensive !! I suggest you go to reputable breeder if you want pure-bred dog, they will cost about $800 - $1000, depending on what breed you want. Pet store is not a good place to buy dogs. If you want to go with mix-breed, animal shelter or humane society will work good for you and it's cheap !! :P

I got my pug-tzu (pug - shih tzu cross) for free, the woman that bought him only spent $250 from some backyard breeder.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

I'd agree with getting a puppy from a reputable breeder if you want a purebred, or else from a good, reputable shelter that fosters its dogs (i.e. the dogs live in people's houses while awaiting adoption). Personally I'm planning to adopt one from a no-kill shelter, 'cause I'd feel bad and want to take *all* of the dogs at the humane society home!

Around here, adoption ranges from $100 at shelters to about $300 if you want a purebred dog from a rescue group. (Rescue dogs are usually older, though, not puppies.)

All four of my parents' dogs have been purebreds. I think they got the latest one free (a friend's purebred ###### [edit: a female dog! sheesh!] was killed by a car, leaving five week-old puppies, the breeder was just happy to find people to nurse them) but the last two ran about $400 each, IIRC. They were purebreds, not showdogs, but very nice, sweet lab puppies with no problems of any sort. Their pedigrees probably weren't terribly impressive, but all my parents wanted were purebreds (I think they were afraid a hidden Rottweiler ancestor might have dangerous consequences, or something).

If a pug-beagle cross is the big thing right now, I'd be very wary of adopting one becuase there'll be a lot of people trying to make a quick buck and not treating their dogs well, and I'd expect the people who do treat their dogs well to charge a fortune.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

I would personally never give my $$ to a pet shop -- many of them buy their animals from puppy mills and I would not want to support those practices.

You might try checking animal rescues as well.

I agree. Puppy mills are hideous places.

Plus there are thousands of dogs put to sleep everyday in shelters becasue they cant find homes, yet people keep breeding more?! It seems crazy to me :wacko:

I have the most amazing dogs that I got from shelters- you really can find some of the most remarkable creatures there just looking for love :thumbs:

Ya, there really is some really sweet puppies in shelters. I think now that I know their circumstances I want to give them a good home. Should I be worried about a dogs mannerism if its mixed??

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
(Half Pug Half Beagle) They were so adorable. Just curious to see what they would sell a mixed breed for, they told me 849 bucks!!!

aww sounds so cute, do u have pictures?

Oh, and for that price do the dog poop gold?

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline